1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm talking about style really. Obviously the story / characters are different.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Na i mean season 1 gave u that creepy cult vibe

this season gives me 0 vibe other than a regular detective show investigating a murder

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I definitely think there is evidence of some really ****ed-up underground stuff going on, especially with the stuff they found in that guy's house.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Not to mention the creepy bird head thing, psuedo cult that the detective's dad is running and several other weird things.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we will get a better feel of it . . .. if there is a second murder
    I suspect this is about serial killers
    If this is the only murder . . .i think the season will be boring

Rocket River

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For those that think it's boring, I hear the first 4 episodes are all equally confusing and boring from articles. I dig it but the rest of y'all might want to jump off the wagon now.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

we'll see

it's only been 1 episode, hopefully its at least close to how good season 1 was

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it took me a few episodes to really get into the first one as well. Obviously, it was well acted but that hook didn't get me right away either.

Can't believe so many are getting they panties in a wad after the first episode. Wait, actually I can, but still...it's one damn episode. I guess it's a no win situation though after having the first season capture lightning in a bottle.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A lot of critics seem over the entire series after episode 1. Everyone going out of the way to point out how everything is ridiculous.

I will say that I really hate the intro this season. That song just doesn't work with the intro, at all. You have a Leonard Cohen library and you choose that? Ugh.

Finally though, the closing shot of the episode was magnificent.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I agree about the song and intro, completely baffled after the brilliance of last season's.

I too thought the last shot was fantastic, and rounded out the episode perfectly. I think episode one did everything it was supposed to, we know some of the key players and we know some of the crap that is going on... and most importantly we had a point where the key players converged.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Finally caught the first episode last night. Some initial thoughts (from a guy that loved season 1).

-Episode 1 really a prologue?

Keep in mind this episode is not really an episode but more or less a prologue. Its on purpose in order to let these characters breathe on their own before throwing them all together. The writer showed us who we are going to be following on their own. You also get the backdrops of the transportation industry, and the occult (of course, wouldn't keep in line with season 1's fabric).

I love a series that from the start tells you that we are playing the long game here. Season 1 did that as well, and many of the same people b****ing about episode 1 more than likely b****ed about episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4 of season 1 before the series took off.

Now if you go back and watch season 1 again, you can appreciate what character is developed, and shown in the first few episodes knowing where the series was going.

-Music, mood, and landscapes.

Yes, this show is going to hit you over the head with mood. They are letting you know up front that if your not into this type of thing, get out now. This is moody Crime Noire. You either like it or you don't.

-Acting choice?

I love it so far, but other than the underrated Colin Ferrell, it looks like the other characters are going to develop their characters a bit, and that's totally fine. I was hesitant mostly about the Taylor Kitsch character, but from what I saw last night gave me hope. His character reminds me of the Jeremy Renner character from the Hurt Locker if he had to integrate back into life in the states and tried to transition to regular law enforcement. Only his character looks a bit more reserved and guarded at first glance. At some point he's going to snap.

Vince Vaughn.... I give them props for seeking him out, but I just don't know if Vince has been out of the serious acting game for too long. I just didn't see VV that comfortable in that character last night. Maybe that changes but I'm a bit concerned that VV might have been typecast the past decade for good reasons. We will see.

Rachel McAdams... I love what her and Emily Blunt are up to lately. Two actors 5 years ago that were about as predictable as you could find in their roles in rom-coms and girl comedies. In order to be a serious female leading badass you don't have to be a Charles Angel or look like Gina Carano. You can be just as dark, and complex as the guys.... if not more. The writer better not screw this up because I am very intrigued with what they are doing with this character.

-Directing-

Justin Lin looked to have mimicked the previous seasons style. That's ok I guess, but I think its totally fine for series' to let their directors have a bit of freedom. House of Cards tries too hard to have everything look Fincher'esque. Game of Thrones has different directors that give some different camera angles, and shoot scenes a bit differently. Here's to hoping they bring back Michelle MacLaren for season 6.

-Also-

Andy Greenwall said yesterday on his podcast that episode 2 is better than 1, and 3 is better than 2. So take that as you will. As I mentioned earlier, if you are judging episode 1 on being a standalone entertainment piece, you are missing the point. I appreciate so far this series telling us ahead of time that we are playing the long game here.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I literally cannot stand Taylor Kitsch. He's a terrible actor, always playing the same jarhead type character. This one took me about 40 minutes to really get into it and I was not looking forward to Collin Ferrell but this looks like a fantastic role for him. To me there just seems to be too many main characters this time around, and the episode was just kind of everywhere. I loved the closing shot though, made me want more. It really got much better as it went along.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

They vomited out the exposition in a painful way, but with four characters' stories to tell, I know they're pressed for time. The conversation between Ani and her father made me cringe.

The director from the first season is gone and maybe that is a problem, as well.

I am going to watch more, let's see where it goes. I don't understand why you'd beat up a reporter to stop a story. Seems like it would ratchet it up. I think you'd put pressure on someone higher up to kill the story. Maybe there's more. Taylor Kitsch's character stumbles upon the body. Seems lazy, maybe there's some other yet explained element, though.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The main thing that made season 1 premier much better was the interaction between the lead characters and the anticipation of the dialogue between them for the rest of the season as well as the mystique of the setting / murder. By starting off season 2 with desperate storylines and little lead character interaction , the best part of the series/ writing was ignored. That is why many people are troubled over the debut.

1 person likes this.
  15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

^I thought the scenes between Vaughn and and Farrell were among the strongest of the episode. Looking forward to more.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought that whole animal human hybrid stitching crept me out more.

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek: didn't expect that in episode 2

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Is he dead?

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That was kind of obvious at the end the way the whole episode was setting up. Too much finality and foreshadowing in a 2nd episode. Would have been better if it was more out of nowhere.

20. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

i didn't expect it like that...