1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO to do Texas Politics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dubious, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Texas Politics To Be Lone Star Of New HBO Series

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli...as-politics-to-be-lone-star-of-new-hbo-series

Between Rick Perry, Ted Cruz and Wendy Davis, Texas politicians in recent years have lived up to their state's reputation for producing larger-than-life characters.

That makes the Texas political scene a natural for the Hollywood treatment.

HBO has given God Save Texas, a drama about the state's often raucous political culture, the green light for development. It's set to unfold at the Texas statehouse, a perennial flashpoint for national debates about issues ranging from abortion to gun rights to the size and role of government.

According to an early description first reported by Deadline.com, the show will follow an "idealistic cowboy" who, after election to the state Legislature, "becomes the target of the powerful energy lobby and learns how to survive in the crazy, brutal world of Texas politics."

It's being developed from Sonny's Last Shot, a 2005 play by Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Lawrence Wright, who will also write and co-produce the show.

State government isn't typical fodder for premium cable, but Texas politics have lately gripped the nation's imagination, pushing the state's colorful perspectives and personalities into the fore. "The thing about Texas is that it's a little larger than life," Executive Producer Lauren Shuler Donner said. "You can't make up characters like this."

Indeed, the show's creators have a deep bench of Texas pols from which to draw dramatic inspiration. It includes veterans of public scrutiny and caricature, including Perry, the long-serving governor and former presidential candidate, and comparatively fresh, yet polarizing personalities such as gubernatorial hopefuls Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis — whose rivalry has caught fire on the national stage.

Even if they don't appear by name, those familiar voices are likely to be heard on the show in one form or another. "Larry did a lot of research," Shuler Donner said. "He met with a lot of characters in Austin."

The show can also be expected to tap into ongoing debates about guns, gay rights and immigration. But the Season 1 story arc will center on another issue painfully familiar to Texans: the state's recent patterns of extreme drought. Shuler Donner suggested efforts toward drought relief would run afoul with special interest groups in Austin.

Shuler Donner says the pilot for God Save Texas is set to enter production soon.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This will be like your loud, alcoholic and combative uncle getting hammered at your wedding.

This will set us back a decade.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is the point of this show.

4. Dubious

I'm watching Halt And Catch Fire right now; either actors just do lousy Texas accents or we really do sound ridiculous. I'm 100% sure the dialog in this show will be grating to my ears

(you should always read my posts like Mathew McConaughey in true Detective or Dallas Buyers Club because that is what I sound like)

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

This should be the trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BhDhDRvHaGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Buck Turgidson

I'm so ****ing embarrassed that it's come to this.

Also very tired of apologizing for all the idiot politicians Texas has churned out recently.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No ****ing kidding. My god, are we really going to be subjected to this? I'm in Texas politics up to my neck as it is, and this is something I really don't need to see. Still, it's HBO. Maybe I'll hear enough positive word of mouth to cause me not to blow it off entirely. We'll see.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is it really a cable show that has set Texas back for a better part of the new millennium?

I hope more people recognize the festering pustule that is Texas politics and wake enough to boot out the likes of Cruz and Perry.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I saw a documentary about Tom Delay called The Big Guy basically about his background and his forced redistricting of Texas in 2003. It's amazing what one scumbag has done to the political landscape not only in this state but in Congress. He essentially gave the House to the Republicans with his scheme to redistrict Texas. Disgusting stuff.

10. Dubious

Gaywatch - Texas Edition: Remember the No-Homo

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:thedailyshow.com:6c508743-1021-4fd8-ad34-cfb47d87ac36" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://thedailyshow.cc.com/">The Daily Show</a></b><br />Get More: <a href="http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/">Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/indecision">Indecision Political Humor</a>,<a href="http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow">The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i bet we secede by season 2! haha

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's HBO so we know the plot already.

Main character is a "reasonable, moderate" Republican, comes to Austin and finds out Republicans are all racists, homophobes, controlled by corporations who want to rape the land (the voters aren't quite so bad, they are just dupes. Main character valiantly struggles to "take back his party" from the devious extremists.

#12 Commodore, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sounds good, would love for this to happen IRL.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No kidding, I'd love to be able to vote Republican again with a clear conscience.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think this is cool. HBO shows are of high quality and I don't expect anything less.

16. Dubious

yup, it writes itself

Beautiful lobbyist that sleeps with both donors and elected official to get what she wants

Grizzled old populist Democrat that's seen it all but remains true in the face of futility

Boston FBI man coming to town to clean it uip

Anti-abortion preacher with a gay sex and meth secret

Ambitious, idealistic young Capitol Politics reporter that thinks the power of the press can really change things

The oilman that buys whatever he wants, women or legislation and his rebellious son that rejects his family lineage

The Boston FBI special agent out to clean things up

easy breezy

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Don't forget the Wendy Davis character; the sassy, smokin hot single mom who manages to outsmart the bigots with her wit and toughness.

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I love me some HBO! Speaking of love, I've been watching Big Love on HBO GO recently, good show...hmm, maybe it's a subliminal message from the gods that we're getting the"big man" Kevin Love :)