1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. 713

713 Member

For all the people that says HBO is slacking. They still have GoT. The pinnacle of TV. They had some misses so far but The Night Of is far from a miss. It's been the one of the best shows this summer on TV. Stranger Things was better but for a crime/drama it was well done.

I enjoyed this way better than the train wreck that was season 2 of True Detective.

Night Of could have been better but it's far from terrible.

2. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Why are people hating on this ending?

Stone's closing was amazing and I was on the edge of my seat when the jury came back.

Box saving Naz in the end was also awesome.

Too bad he's a crack head and hates his mom now.

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I thought for sure Naz was going to get whacked in that long walk out.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Surprised at all of the hate for this show. While the show didn't live up to the pilot, I still thought it was damn good. I thought the ending had just the right amount of resolution, leaving viewers unsettled.

Whether it's been done or not before, it's a reminder of how the criminal justice system creates criminals and drug addicts. That is deep. If you haven't seen Oz, have there really been that many quality shows that cover this subject?

5. Amir's Johnson

I can't believe people are hating the show because of how it ended and Westworld does not look like a bust. Ballers is a terrible show, they need to bring back Hello Ladies!

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Besides Stranger Things, what else does Netflix have?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Narcos is amazing
    House of Cards
    Wet Hot American Summer
    Orange is the New Black
    Bloodline
    Sense8
    Master of None
    The Ranch
    The Killing
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Hemlock Grove
    Last Chance U
    Marco Polo

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

oz was a quality show? and realistic?

9. thejav

thejav Member

Daredevil
    Jessica jones
    Rectify
    Hell on wheels.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't forget Peaky Blinders.

HBO gets to squeeze two more years out of GoT and if they don't have a hit to replace it by then they are finished as a titan and will be merely coasting off their extensive back catalog.

Netflix is taking a big steamy **** on HBO right now.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Great beginning, terrible middle epidsodes, and decent ending. I understand the hate, but it could have been worse.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Silicon Valley renewed for a 4th season, and as long as Mike Judge is still involved, I'm jazzed. Didn't HBO pick up a 3rd season of True Detective, too? But I agree, seems GoT's budget might have limited their resources for new shows.

btw: I'd rather watch HBO re-runs than over half of what LonghornFan listed. And The Night Of is easily as good as the top third of those listed. But yeah, Netflix is on a roll for sure.

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

ummm, yeah, it was a quality show. I think that's a nearly universally held belief?

I didn't mention realism. Obviously, Oz was a caricature of prison life but it still exposed people to some of the very real intricacies and idiosyncrasies of that world.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I thought it was fine. I was entertained. Didn't blow me away.

The Knick was a huge another missed opportunity by HBO as well. They kicked it to Cinemax when it was better than mostly any of the other dramas they've tried to introduce over the past few years. Soderbergh was on some next level **** with that show.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Haven't really been following opinions on Night Of, but I'm surprised so many people didn't like it. I thought at worst it was a solid show, that was a great portrayal of the justice system as it realistically recreated the atmosphere of jail/court/booking/etc.

I understand where people are coming from with the wasted time on the taxi cab/cat/foot fungus, but that's just what Richard Price does (at least in his book Clockers). He has side personal stories for the characters that aren't exactly detrimental to the main plot. I think it adds a more realistic yet mundane side to characters.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think this is fine in a book where length isn't as big of an issue. In a show, you're constricted in terms of time, so to see so much screen time just be wasted is frustrating. This was compounded by the fact that because of the wasted screen time, they were forced to wrap everything up in a hurry on the last episode.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I understand that and get why people don't like it. I don't love it but don't mind it either. I didn't personally think the finale felt too rushed to me.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Some of those aren't really all that. The Ranch is OK. The Killing's best seasons IMO were on AMC. Never really could get into Wet Hot American Summer either. The rest I either really liked or had nothing bad to say about.

They definitely have a nice lineup including the Marvel shows too. They're doing really well. I hope they keep it up.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

HBO has Leftovers, too

GoT
    True Detective (season 3 right?)
    Silicon Valley (renewed)
    The Night Of
    Leftovers
    Girls (big for a certain demographic)

I don't think they'll just disappear like others. Hopefully there is enough talent to keep Netflix growing and get HBO back to where it was, AMC strong, revive Showtime. Keep this Golden Era of TV going. But maybe the business model of Netflix and Amazon is just shifting a static-growth talent pool around.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The binge model is what is killing the network model. People want to be able to access seasons at a time rather than single episodes.