1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] The Last of Us (beware spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 27, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't have to concern myself with Sarah apparently.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Good first episode! Never played the game.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Really enjoyed the second episode as well, thought the clickers reveal was well done....

mtbrays and clos4life like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great second episode. I enjoy the broadening of the world that they're doing; the Indonesia opener was incredible.

I also thought that they did a good job enhancing Tess' character from the game. She died at the same narrative point, but they flushed her out more than the game. The "kiss of death" was super creepy (as are the tendrils in general) but that was a much better end for her than gunning down FEDRA agents like in the game. That was a very effective way for the show to highlight Ellie's immunity to a skeptical Joel.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Last of Us.... or... what if the Walking Dead was good.

CCorn, clos4life, Commodore and 2 others like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The thing that works in the favor of TLOU, it is based on a video game that was developed with a completed narrative, meaning a start, finish and end.

The walking dead, and virtually all long running TV shows, just start making s**t up on the fly to keep cranking out seasons without an endgame to write towards. The quality usually falls off hard after a few seasons.

Blake, Kim, jo mama and 1 other person like this.
  7. dobro1229

Here's an another example of why you shouldn't take health advice from Joe Rogan:

Dude actually asks about ingesting Cordyceps for "health benefits".... yeah... no thank you Joe. I'll stick with broccoli and carrots for now .

8. dobro1229

Actually the Walking Dead is one of the most popular graphic novel/comic series' out there, and the comic was way out ahead of the show. The issue was quality first and always. Then second was trying to expand a Zombie series out to 13 seasons with like 18 spin off shows.

IMO it's classic quality over quantity. Because of quantity the show extended the actors out beyond their will, and then when you have to abandon your central character or characters because they tap out, you just get stuck asking the audience to believe that actually the show was about Y, and Z character that you didn't meet until season 8.... which original Walking Dead watchers mostly didn't buy into so that's why half the audience dropped off when the killed Glen and more importantly when Rick's actor obviously wanted off the show which was obvious.

With TLOU it's a story about Joel and Ellie... that's it. It's maybe going to be 3 seasons at most if they follow the game narrative which I'm sure they will. Finding a home at HBO too was a godsend for the IP. AMC was a horrible home for TWD. AMC is better for relationship type of drama. It's obvious they don't have the cinematic level budget to keep up.

At HBO or even Netflix or Amazon it would have been a dramatically higher quality show which would have led to less seasons, and a more condensed story in 3 to 5 seasons over 8 years instead of 13 seasons of 16 episodes over 13 years.

peleincubus and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Walking Dead was great for 6-7 years, but it's turned into itself into a meta joke and now there are 6 zombie-lings in AMC's lineup.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've really enjoyed the opening of the first two episodes that gives us a better worldview.

Last nights opening gave me World War Z, the book, vibes which is a good thing....

Kim and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Still LULZing about George Washington. All I could think about during that last shot where she's standing in front of the American flag.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob, clos4life and Blake like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

To the surprise of absolutely no one:

B-Bob likes this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Really liked episode 2, liked it more than the first episode

if nothing else, it’s way better than the walking dead, that show was garbage from the start

clos4life likes this.
  16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I liked the Walking Dead. For a few seasons. I stopped watching when they were having some fight in a junkyard around people who spoke weirdly and forgot all about it after that

really enjoying the first two eps of this show so far.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

saw the trailer for this yesterday

Is this like HBO’s version of the Walking Dead?

IBTL and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm normally too chicken to watch these shows but I'm pushing through because I played the game.

I never played part 2 so I'm excited to experience the story how the show portrays it. Just hope I don't get spoiled along the way.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It wasn’t that great. JC

[​IMG]

#119 Surfguy, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. VanityHalfBlack

What track did they close out with in eps 2?