1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] The Last of Us (beware spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I really enjoyed this show, it's top-notch in every category. However, I do agree that it was lacking in action and zombies. I like action. Give me more, HBO.

ROCKSS, IBTL, GRENDEL and 1 other person like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Not much honestly, a pretty boring episode with almost no connection to main story, quite bland. Definitely would recommend to skip for better flow of the show.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

on all the points you mentioned I’d agree from a story telling and plot development standpoint. For me though I don’t think the Director placed nearly as much focus on the plot development as the development of the two main characters and the underlying tension points of love and loss.

my wife and I watched it last night and processed some of it this morning. It’s interesting because the director talked about highlighting the beautiful and dark side of love. And how Joel’s love for Ellie drove him to do horrible things in order to save her. The loss of a loved one, let alone a child, can drive people to do foolish things if that loss isn’t dealt with. My wife and I lost one of our kids years ago and we both could see how powerful that drive was for Joel. Because he never dealt with his grief over Sarah, he can’t allow himself to consider ever losing like that again. The first few episodes are all about Joel avoiding connection with Ellie because he’s afraid to hurt again.

Ellie as well, chooses to ignore what she knows is a lie from Joel, because she too is afraid to lose again. To me this characters develop a theme demonstrating the incredible things we can do for love. But also the horrible things we can do when we don’t learn how to let go and lose loved ones well.

I felt the same things you did about the series from a story development standpoint. The last gun battle scene and the even the tension between Joel and Ellie in the last episode seemed to fall flat. But this theme of what the fear of loss can drive one to do is I think what the series tries to highlight the most (at times at the sacrifice of other elements). But as all of as humans must suffer painful loss at some point, I appreciate the attempt to bring loss to the forefront for the viewer to wrestle with.

Kim, GRENDEL, dobro1229 and 2 others like this.
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really? First I'm hearing about it.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

No worries. Glad to always help educate others

7. mtbrays

Supporting Member

You should've posted more about it before the finale!

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Glad to know you clearly love my posts!

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Part 1 of the game and this TV season 1, were well received by gamers and TV audiences. With Part II of the game being divisive (understandably), how faithful will the TV adaptations be. Do they risk alienating the wider TV audience (the same way with the gamers) or keep some parts but change certain things to make certain characters more redeeming.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Watched the finale finally.

-Thought it was a very faithful adaptation
    -Thought it was so faithful it was too predictable for people who have played the game.
    -Thought it was very very well done
    -If I hadn't played the game i probably would have been floored
    -But since I had, I felt too much like I was watching a re-run gameplay of the final act of the game

Hoping Part 2 will stay faithful while learning how to take the gamers off course a bit so they aren't so mentally going beat by beat along with their memory of the game, and can get immersed a bit more. I think TV watchers need to be a bit more on the edge of their seat worried about what is going to happen. D&D screwed up GOT in so many ways, but it was still a good thing that past season 4, the show watchers were left guessing what might happen. Season 1 told the story well.... but moving forward, I want a bit more than just watching a live action version of the video game cut scenes.

Still... A+ effort, and definitely should win virtually every Emmy award next year.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The article I linked to earlier really makes it sound like they don't care about Part 2 being divisive. Episode 3 was divisive, and they sound like they wouldn't change a thing about it (and they "don't care" if people don't like it).

I do think the hate Part 2 gets is mostly unwarranted (it is similar to Episode 3 type stuff). There are like 5-6 complaints people usually have, and I think only 2-3 are semi-legit. I didn't like it as much as the original, but mostly due to execution (or what I assume to be execution). They probably could tighten up and improve some things there to alleviate concerns people like me have. But I doubt they'll do anything to change stuff from the majority of complaints. If anything, they'll go even harder with that stuff haha.

clos4life and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member

Ignore clos4life. He's the resident bigot here. Episode 3 was about a love story between two gay men and he was like oh no , not the gays.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member

Solid **** as a show.

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I'm aware. I was just poking fun that he can't post about this show without bringing up an episode that aired a month and a half ago.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member

Ah, gotcha. Lol. Carry on!

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't play the game (unopened remake is collecting dust along with pt 2) but saw the yt of story play years ago.

Thought it was decent even knowing the ending. B or B- and def HBO material.

I think criticism is overblown with a higher "top tier" standard despite the fact that 80% of the shows out there are unwatchable by people since it's easier to focus on their own favorite niches.

18. dmoneybangbang

Good ending..... Still a B+ for me.

Maybe it's the lack of action.... but just overall feels off. I generally like the backstory and learning how society got from point A to point B which mostly took a backseat after the first two episodes.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Aaaahhh, the good ol' bigotry claim, the biggest proof that I am correct! I have indeed many complaints about episode 3, including boring, long, irrelevant, side show not having to do anything to do with the game, non-existent action, etc. Yet, somehow, ignorant posters keep going back to the bigotry well, as they have no real counter to the other claims.

The one thing I've never claimed is that the gay men angle bother me, episode 3 would have sucked just as bad had it been Bill and Sally instead of Bill and Frank and had everything else been the same.It's hilarious that people like you have no real counter so instead claim bigotry. That's the real bias, that you like something so much that you instead claim anyone else is a bigot just because they didn't like it.

IBTL, you are the real bigot here.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s been like 6 years since I last played the first games storyline. I started smiling when I realized we were at the point you change to Ellie. They freaking nailed it.

Also, **** that ladder part in the game.

Ziggy and GRENDEL like this.