1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Neil Gaiman's American Gods

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I have the book but haven't ever read it. Lots of people say it is Gaiman's best. But, it may be HBO's next series:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/pla...imans-american-gods-in-series-talks-with-hbo/

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

That's cool. I read it a while back. I don't remember thinking it was his 'best', but it was entertaining.

Interesting to see the direction HBO is going with GoT and now this (if true). Certainly a wealth of that type material to choose from out there.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

A lineup of Game of Thrones, True Blood & American Gods would be quite a new direction.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

It's a good book -- but doesn't finish as strong as it starts IMO.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

If HBO is doing it promises to atleast be decent. Having not finish the book I'm curious how they will stretch it into a series... isnt the book a standalone?

I just started reading it a month ago... and while its obviously well written as everything by gaiman is, for some reason I'm having a hard time staying interested in it. I've already paused in my reading of it to start and finish "never let me go" "hunger games" and "water for elephants" ... maybe ill try finishing it this week. (And yea, i read alot of books that i find has been or will be turned into movies)

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

It really seems like this book could be cut down to a 2 hour movie without much problem.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Meh...

HBO needs to pick up Brian K. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man and turn that into a tv series. Scrap the stupid idea of cramping it into a movie.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

http://screenrant.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo-6-seasons-mcrid-119432/

Six seasons? Really? I wonder how they're going to pull that off. Is there enough material from a 500 page paperback? :confused:

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

American Gods is ok, but Mistborn would have been far more awesome.

11. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Y:The Last Man would be great as an HBO series. So would Gaiman's "The Sandman" but I wonder if you could even translate that to TV/Film.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking that they will play it out as 'gods in america', not the actual story. Or maybe really drag it out with a lot of extra god scenes before the final climax. The idea behind the books can work. (there are two and a short story).