1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Mike Judge's Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

relative to most of human history, that's a terrific job

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I disagree. Being on top presents its own interesting challenges. It might be even harder staying on top and preserving your integrity when you get there. Almost every story is an underdog story; we've seen it already.

I remember when the show Angel (spinoff of Buffy series) had the underdog protagonists inherit the evil supernatural law firm they were fighting against for 4 seasons. Our Heroes were suddenly on top and the ambiguity of their position on the good v evil spectrum made for some great TV. It was also nice to see the "if we just had all the power we can make a difference; it will be different" scenario play out. They failed miserably and that was just as interesting as the underdog struggle.

At some point it will be nice if Pied Piper became a Hooli.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This show already has the character/dichotomy of Gavin Belson/Hooli to show what happens to people who reach the top (and how hard it is to stay there).

I consider Belson and Hendricks to both be the protagonists... Each on opposite ends of the spectrum.

But the journey of PP going from a side-project/app idea into a potentially multi-billion dollar company is a great story... And there's still a ways for it to go.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Highly unlikely and implausible that one person (or even Hendricks' customer reach-out strategy) could solve the DAU problem.... Bernice was probably just one-time comic relief (and it was hilarious that she went from a naive skeptic into a fanboy in just one brief tutoring session).

Either the neural net does something unexpected that has massive positive consequences, or they happen to luckily stumble upon a yet to be revealed/recognized everyday use for the platform/compression that makes it into a killer app.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If they start using THE BOX - does it have PP software/engineering on it
    or EndFrames/Hooli's?

If it has PP on it .. would it affect their daily user numbers?

Rocket River
    Help me out nerds! :D

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's endframes box. The premise is that making a box is such an easy/idiot-proof application of middle-out compression, it doesn't take much to accomplish.

But I figure that hooli will find a way to f it up.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So Barker is a genius

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its more like he's motivated by sure-things that are guaranteed to turn profits... even if that means passing on riskier, but possibly more profitable/impactful ventures.

He's like the guy who invested big on the initial sales of mini-disc players and stand-alone mp3 players... and got out before each of them became ultimately obsolete when a more profitable form of technology came along.

In hindsight, had PP done the box... they'd likely be meeting the benchmarks to qualify for their next round of funding. However, given that Barker was signing an agreement with the box installers of exclusive rights to the algorithm, they would never have been able to release the platform on a wide-market scale. (the platform that isn't really taking off just yet).

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

If they wanted to make this reflect today, suspect some three letter agencies would like to know more about encrypted sharding.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If their application was aimed more for Business Enterprise I could see it being largely successful as well.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Tables...I lost it :grin:

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

weak ending. I might be done...they are trying too hard to preserve the incubator bro hood hangout

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, I'll still watch the first episode or two of next season, but I'm not sure how much more of this I'll be watching. I felt like essentially the same **** happened that has happened previously.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Much like Cheers tried too hard to preserve the show taking place in a bar.

For better or for worse, this is the show. I thought this season was the best of the three.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nerdiness is an intrinsically derogatory and stereotypical concept that conflates intellect with frailty and awkwardness; so to even employ the term excuses the requisite cliches: whatever false impressions BBT creates have been around for at least a couple of generations of media beforehand. For the show itself, the characterization is just an entree to other regional, gender and cultural stereotypes that resonate with a broader and older audience than the principal characters themselves.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

In other words you like big bang theory. Also, you're late.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They still have no money.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Anyone threatening to quit a show like this is a lying drama queen who will be here all next season. Stop trying so hard.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That is true... then again, they created a video-chat app that is poised to go viral without any sort of major capitol investment or funding utilization.

Hell, didn't they spend a large chunk of the funding on the abysmal "tables" commercial? And the rest on seminars/outreach programs to explain how the app works?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Late to what? I won't pretend to not like it particularly considering some of the earlier season scripts and how limited sitcoms are with the proliferation of prime time reality programming. I imagine I could have used less flattering language to describe the actual ethnic and social stereotyping that the show indulges in under the pretense of behavioral caricatures.