1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Jonah From Tonga

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Sep 9, 2014.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone has watched any/all of these episodes. My wife started DVRing them thinking it would be some sort of 'Once Were Warriors' Polynesian life drama...and boy, was she wrong. It's about Polynesian life, but definitely not a dramatic look into it...more of a mockumentary approach. Apparently the premise and main actor/comedian has Tonga all up in arms about his portrayal of the Tongan culture.

I've watched a little bit and can understand where the Tongan representation can be seen as skewed. I did find the tattoo scene pretty funny though.

Thoughts?

2. Convictedstupid

The same dude that did Summer Heights High, right? I watched the first ep and it was pretty funny.

3. Amir's Johnson

The creator Chris Lilly is known for his different characters. It's very dark and funny! You should check out Angry Boys!

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I liked Summer Heights High and Angry Boys but could not get through the J'amie show. That character is just too annoying, even if the humor pays off. Might check this one out.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Summer Heights High was hilarious.

Jonah from that show had some pretty spot on representation of Islanders (coming from a predominantly rugby league fixated school I saw it daily)

However, I felt Jonah From Tonga tried way too hard to be funny. Did not like it much at all

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Love all of Chris Lilly's shows

Summer Heights high and angry boys are obviously amazing. The Jai'me one was my least favorite. I like the new Jonah one a lot, Jonah was always one of my favorite characters

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Horrible ... just horrible.