1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO greenlights 'Game of Thrones' to series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2010.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yes! Atia from Rome reminded me of a not so pretty Cersei Lannister. The first 3 books are some of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read. I've been disappointed with the casting of Daenerys though. Daenerys was always going to be the hardest character to cast - actress needed to be out of this world hot, look very young, but be old enough to avoid the show getting a child p*rn rating - and Tamzin Merchant (Tudors), the original actress they got for the pilot perfect. The new actress replacing her looks like a decent actor, but doesn't look the part.

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm afraid this will distract him more. He's been heavily involved with the TV production and will be writing one episode a season I think. Genius can't be rushed, and after waiting so long already... I wouldn't mind him taking all the time he needs to produce more good books, but my biggest fear is GRRM dying before he completes the series.

3. Commodore

Commodore Member

out of this world hot? really?

[​IMG]

New chick is hotter.

[​IMG]

4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

That's a pretty bad picture. Have you seen the tudors? She looked good in it.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think that's about the worst comparison you can make. Get the most unflattering shot from an era where makeup was nearly non-existent to a clearly worked up shot where the lady took her time to be properly made up. (and in black and white, where some people look even better to boot.)

I say try to fin the hottest shot of both actresses to see how they truly compare.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I'm probably going to end up getting HBO again for this. lol

Looking forward to it. Books are a blast. I hope Martin lasts long enough to finish them. :-[

7. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

Def. promising news. Good books for sure.

Any "Sword of Truth" fans in this topic?

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

They have already replace Daenery and a few others.

Here's the site I've been following for the GoT.
    http://winter-is-coming.net/

9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

This looks intriguing, but I'm not watching it or reading the books until Martin finishes the series off. I really don't want to experience another Robert Jordan situation, although I think Brandon Sanderson will do a better job of finishing off the Wheel of Time than Jordan ever would have done. And please, please don't let Robert McCammon die until he finishes off the Matthew Corbett series.

There are a couple of epic fantasy series I'm looking forward to reading, since the final book is set for release in the next 6-9 months: Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen and Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn Chronicles.

PlanetG, I read the first 2 or 3 books of the Sword of Truth over a decade ago. I was tempted to pick up the whole thing now that it's complete, but I've heard mixed things about the series as a whole. That's a pretty lengthy reading excursion, and I'm leery of devoting that much time to something that I've heard is subpar. What are you thoughts on it?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ive read the first 3 or so sword of truth maybe the first 4 actually. dont think ill ever finish it though, its been too long since i read them.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Towers of Midnight will be released October 26th. Sanderson is on track.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Sanderson has churned out books pretty steadily. I read his Mistborn trilogy a few years ago and see why Jordan and his widow chose him to complete the Wheel of Time. He handled a diverse group of characters and some high-minded philosophical themes (especially for fantasy) pretty well. And the magic system completely kicked ass.

Still, as optimistic as I am with Sanderson, I won't pick up any of that final trilogy until the the third book hits the shelf. I still haven't read the last few books that Jordan wrote, but I think I'll just skim summaries online instead of reading the books. He drove that series into the ditch after the fourth book and the last few were a chore to read.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I disagree. Books 1-7 were really entertaining. 8 was slow. 9 was ridiculously awesome. 10 blew ass. But 10 set up 11, which was pretty good again. Sanderson's first addition (12) was solid, and the action is really heating up as the whole shebang starts to converge.

sorry for the derail.

14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Even if he doesn't finish the series, I think the first 3 books would still be worth reading, and book 3 ties up a lot of story arcs nicely, as Martin originally intended to have a time skip occur in between books 3 and 4, with the kids having grown up in book 4. Most of book 4 is pretty much getting new story arcs going again, setting up future books... and will be frustrating to read if the series isn't completed.

15. m_cable

m_cable Member

Sanderson is a machine. He just pumps out one (entertaining) book after another. His prose is nowhere near the level of guys like Robert Jordan or George RR Martin and his characterization can be a bit black/white but the guy knows how to pull together a story. He always comes up with creative ideas and inserts plenty of interesting clues/puzzles in his books. And he's quite good at coming up with satisfying endings.

I'm really becoming a fan of his and am looking forward to The Way of Kings.

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I've read The Wheel of Time up to book 8 The Path of Daggers. I haven't even bother with it ever since. Matt Cauldron is my favorite character but the books after that pretty much make him so damn boring. His women got pretty annoying also since all of them act the same way. God I loved that series dearly but sadly Jordan is gone. I don't think I will be reading Sanderson's versions.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

You guys should know that based on this thread I went out and bought A GAME OF THRONES last night. Been looking for some new reading for a while. I've always gravitated towards Sci-Fi rather than Fantasy, but I've read some Fantasy books and enjoyed them so if Martin's work is as good as you say I'm in for a treat.

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Really excited by this. Hope it does well. Then maybe HBO will agree to let a multi-season adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower be made.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

wouldn't it be better to not read it at this point if you haven't already, yet plan to watch it on HBO? would rather it's all fresh and new to me when i watch the series.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

a VERY brief teaser for the series...

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MophfvUlfI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MophfvUlfI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Have to say that I love Sean Bean as Eddard Stark.