1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO greenlights 'Game of Thrones' to series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Commodore

Commodore Member

LINK

FULL CAST LIST

This is far and away the best fantasy series yet written imo. HBO and a great cast should make for a good show.

2. updawg

updawg Member

never heard of it, hopefully it will be good

3. mateo

mateo Member

Maybe this will get George RR Martin to finish A Dance With Dragons.

Stop it with the Wild Cards bs and finish your magnum opus!!!

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I've been hearing about this coming to HBO for over a year now. I'm glad to hear it's finally going to happen. It seems like a match made in heaven. The series is awesome(the last book in the series was a little weaker), and the best way to bring it to life with all the intrigue base sexuality, language and violence would be HBO or other cable network.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I've only read the first book and part of the second, but I have to agree it's probably the best fantasy series I've read... and I've read plenty. I love the political intrigue and all the sly plot lines. Definitely a series for adults.
    Highly anticipating this and will likely subscribe to HBO just for it.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Great Novels... I am pumped!

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Member

Is this gonna be like Showtime's Tudors??

8. TheReason

TheReason Member

Pretty sure that one's not a fantasy series. I actually heard it was very historically accurate.

9. myco

myco Member

Seconded. Wasn't a Feast for Crows and a Dance with Dragons supposed to be one book to begin with? I would have thought he had most of Dance with Dragons completed after coming out with Crows.

10. goophers

goophers Member

Awesome! Reading the third book now and it is very very good. I will get hbo just to watch this.

1 person likes this.
  11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Feast_for_Crows#Delay_in_publication

A Dance With Dragons was supposed to be the fourth book, but it wasn't working out so A Feast for Crows was added. I'm not sure how much of the original A Dance With Dragons was made into A Feast for Crows and how much of it was scrapped though, it seems like he's writing the current one mostly from scratch.

12. LittleWilly

LittleWilly Member

Sweet I've been hearing rumors about this for at least a year. Maybe now Martin will finish the damned series now though.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm a little worried that this series will only delay the completion of Dance With Dragons novel.

That's the only negative I can see about this. Of course maybe the other posts saying it will hurry the completion of the novel might be true as well.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty excited about this. One of the producers started reading the books and loved them. I knew it was a slam dunk when I saw that.

For those of you who haven't read it, it's very, very fantasy light. I'd say about 1% of the first book has any kind of magic in it. In fact, GRRM goes to lengths in the books to stress that magic is pretty much dead, but there's an event at the end of the book that brings it back to life. It's more about subterfuge, politics, backstabbing, sex and war.

So if you're a fan of watching premium channel drama like Rome, The Sopranos, etc, you will probably like the way this pans out.

As far as reading, it's hands down the best series I've ever read. Certainly worth a read for any reading fan.

Also, the next book, A Dance With Dragons, is almost done. As of 02/16:

In another burst of progress reports, GRRM has stated that ADWD is now 1,260 manuscript pages in length. Roughly 800 MS pages of this material, about two-thirds of the book so far, runs parallel to the events of AFFC. The remainder of the book takes place after AFFC, and involves the reappearance of some AFFC characters to address their cliffhanger endings in the earlier book (it is unclear if this is a reference to the already-known-to-be-appearing Asha Greyjoy and Arya Stark, or is a hint that other AFFC characters like Jaime and Brienne may also briefly reappear). GRRM also states in this report that the section set on or near the Isle of Cedars has been completed.​

Link

15. Commodore

Commodore Member

HBO has released a teaser trailer, not much really:

<object width="320" height="240"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayer.swf?vid=1100909"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Winter Is Coming&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1100909%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayer.swf?vid=1100909" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Winter Is Coming&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1100909%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

Here's an updated cast list .

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It's not that much, but the release date is still far away. It looks appropriately dark. I can't wait.

17. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Completely psyched. Still can't wait.

18. Commodore

Commodore Member

That pick of Ned pulling Ice out of a wolfs head scabbard (Theon holding it) is badass.

19. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Completely.

GRRM needs to stop meddling and finish his series.

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm totally pumped! Best fantasy series I've ever read so far. Not sure how they will approach the sex scenes since the major characters are underage in the book but they've hired some older actors to play the younger role.