1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmoney1101, Jul 21, 2010.

1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Likewise. Been meaning to watch it the last few weeks and I finally caught the first episode last night. Solid stuff.

2. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

Anybody keeping up with this show? The last couple of episodes have been pretty good.

Definitely one of my new favorites.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this show picking up? I watched through episode 3 and got bored with it.

4. AGBee

AGBee Member

Last night's episode was fantastic.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Today's episode was pretty damn good, as was last weeks. I've really come to enjoy this show...

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

My wife are both into it. Didn't watch last night's yet but looking forward to it.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I made it through episode 4 and got bored with it. I was expecting so much more. I might catch up on it, but it was going nowhere imo.

8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I dunno if anyone's still watching this show, I know I am and have been ridiculously hooked. In my opinion, if you really pay attention and watch from start to finish every episode, only then can you truly judge and understand the beauty of this show and its detail. The framework from top to bottom and the political power structures and struggles are fascinating and every episode has a moment where it just makes you pause and takes your breath away.

I've watched all of the Wire, and to me that was the best tv show of all time. Now this is making its way up into the Wire territory, and top 10.

But you must, MUST, watch from episode 1, and keep a keen eye for detail and track the relationships between each actor. There's almost 10 different storylines going at once with 20 different ways each character is connected to another.

Omar from the Wire murders every chance he has on screen in this show. Buscemi is amazing. And the kid who looks like Leo DiCaprio is great too.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thank you! I've been watching from the start, and have been trying to convince everyone that this show is great. Everyone I've talked to seemed to get bored with it after two or three episodes (one person just getting "confused with all the people"). Admittedly, I almost gave up on it about three episodes in, but it's really picked up, and in my opinion, is the best show out there.

Like RocketsRUs said, Buscemi is wonderful. Michael Pitt has been outstanding. I had never seen him before this show. He's showing some great acting, in my opinion.

He absolutely looks like Leo Decaprio, too. I told someone else this, and showed them pictures, and they thought I was crazy.

10. aghast

aghast Member

Subtitled: Al Capone, Meyer Lansky: before they were stars!

I really like how they're handing the repressed, self-flagellating FBI guy as a comment on the moral bankruptcy of Prohibition as a whole. The last episode proved: sometimes you just gotta let loose.

I didn't subscribe to HBO during The Wire's heyday, and just started catching up from episode one on DirecTV's 101. (It's in season two, on the docks, now.) Have to second the "best ever" so far.

A shotgun-wielding gay folk hero who steals only from drug dealers?

The minute I saw him in Boardwalk: "Oh, indeed."

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love it. I never got bored with it, so maybe my tastes are just different. I've always been interested in this time period in American history anyway.

But the characters on the show are interesting. The stories are great, the acting is great.

The only thing I can think of that might not keep some people interested is that it isn't exactly a cliff hanger each week like many of the other cable dramas. It doesn't unfold a huge plot twist right before the end of each episode only to make people have to wait and salivate for the next episode to find out what's going to happen.

There are plot twists and enough to hold the interest until next weeks episode, but it isn't set up like Dexter, 24, or something like that where it's high suspense. It just isn't that kind of show, but that doesn't make it bad.

I love the show, and will keep watching.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You forgot the biggest mobster of all time: Charles "Lucky" Luciano.

If you are into old time mob stories then this is as good as it gets IMO. It's my favorite weekly show on TV. All based on real characters. I never heard of Nucky Thompson until this story. If you are not into old time mobsters (Godfather type movies not so much like Soprano's) then this is probably not the show for you. Great series.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I've been following the show via torrent. I can't really pinpoint what I like about it. I guess it's just the quality acting and design. Going to be very interesting to see how the characters develop, particularly since a few of them ride Prohibition to eternal infamy.

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

WOW! Last night was a phenominal setup for the Finale!! One twist right after another!!!!

Van Alden and Harrow could easily be two of the most intriguing individuals I have seen on a show in a long time!

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, definitely some real twists. I'm really curious to see what's going to happen with some of the characters and relationships.

16. da1

da1 Member

Who was poisoning the commodore?

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah that guy looks exactly like Leo Dicaprio...

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Last night's episode was fantastic. If you think this show is slow you obviously don't listen to the dialog. The season finale is going to be great.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

thoughts?

i think was setup pretty clean to continue into next season, the commodore positioning himself to oust nucky

nucky getting back with margaret

nucky squashing the beef with rothstein

and van alden finding out nucky's ex is pregnant, awesome stuff, i would have really liked for the delasio bros. killing to been a little more developed, but i'm guessing we'll get to see more death in the future

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah. I really enjoyed it. As soon as it squashed his beef with Rothstein, something more sinister pokes its head up. Drama.

That's already the end of the season? That's only like 8 episodes or so right? When does next season start up?