1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hayes the Art of the Outlet Pass [ESPN]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rpr52121, Nov 20, 2009.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Found this article on ESPN that was very interesting.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10881/chuck-hayes-and-the-art-of-the-outlet-pass

Hayes the Art of the Outlet Pass
    By Kevin Arnovitz

I'm not quite old enough to participate in a debate about whether Wes Unseld or Bill Walton is the greatest outlet passer of all time. (A colleague in the Staples Center Media Room insists that Bob Lanier be mentioned among the candidates).

By the time I started following the NBA, Walton was waving a towel on the Celtics' bench. But his teammate, Robert Parish, was breaking my young heart as a Hawks fan by lobbing gorgeous outlets to the likes of Gerald Henderson and Larry Bird, who filled the lanes and finished the break.

The outlet pass is the powder keg that ignites the fast break, and lunch-pailer Chuck Hayes knows a thing or two about heaving the ball downcourt to the Rockets' speedsters:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jr8PdubeTak&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jr8PdubeTak&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You posted before I could! :)

Sort of goes to show why they say chuck would be a good coach.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

lol@ at him being aware of someone getting hit from a rebound while discussing being aware on the court...

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You can't stop Chuck Hayes, you can only hope to contain him! :grin:

5. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

That's a nice find. Hayes (Cptn.) is invaluable. Listening to him, he makes it sound so simple. We get to see how dedicated he is mentally. It just makes me smile. I respect this team so much. Hayes, Landry, Scola, Lowry, and of course, Battier (Cptn.), they are tough as nails, smart and all rub off on each other.

We are the best 'team' in the NBA, even if the officials don't call it that way...

6. foo82

foo82 Member

I remember watching that same exact play thinking, wow thats a great, perfectly placed outlet pass.

7. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

true post.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well said. Great post!

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Dude the music, voice over, and the fact it was chuck hayes makes this vid one of the coolest ever.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, it reminded me of one of those old school basketball videos from the 70s.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The chuckster is getting a lot of love from the media nowadays. I'm really happy for him!

12. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

Nice find. Man, I love this team!

13. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Our team got more n more love :grin: :grin:

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really nice.