1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hayes - a big surprise so far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smuduffy, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Everybody has to love Chucky for the way he hustles and defends, and I know the announcers keep saying over and over again that he's been working on his offense, but there were always alot of reasons to cringe every time brooks or lowry threw him the ball even late last season.

I'm impressed this season. He's not losing the ball when they pass to him, he's been able to finish his layups (including some impressive under the basket), and that hook last night was icing on the cake. They were actually feeding him the ball:)

I know Ariza has been huge so far this season they way he is shooting, but I think Chuck is at least a close second to the biggest surprise this season. That offense gives him so much more time on the court, which defensively will be huge for us. Everyone says he is a liability at 6'6", but he makes up for it in so many different ways. I've never been a huge Chuck fan, but I am now with his addition of offense (and seems to be playing even better defense...maybe increased minutes? I haven't checked).

1 person likes this.
  2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Might become my third favorite player pretty soon :eek:

His Bball IQ is almost up there with Battier's. He brings so much to the table, but if he can become even a slight offensive threat, it'll make things a lot easier.. Then again.. I like the defense shading off of him, because it gives us easy baskets when he flashes towards the basket. Especially with the offense we run.
    What I worry about is what happens when Yao comes back?
    --Yao/Andersen
    --Scola/Landry/Pops
    I would have to say that Hayes is better than Pops and currentlya better option than Andersen. But what to do with Andersen? Let him be our new Novak?

Also, Chuck is averaging over 2.5 steals right now.. If he can keep that average above 2, he may be taken into consideration for DPOY...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I thought Chuck Hayes was more dependent upon Tmac to get him shots than anyone else, but clearly I was wrong.

He is such a heady player, we are lucky to have him.......

And if Joey Dorsey needs a role model on what it takes to improve your offense, he should look at Chuck, a left handed HOOK shot last night.

OUT STANDING !!

DD

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, for a "4th-string" player, I think he's pretty good.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

One Caveat, is that Brooks is making those same passes to him that Tmac did......where Chuck is wide open on the baseline.

WOOT !

DD

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Most Improved Player so far this season.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Haha calm down DD..
    I don't wanna hear aobut Tracy in every thread!
    Now MJharleem is gonna have to start an argument..
    Oh and TBK might resurrect to say a few words :p

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The only player who can stop Chuck Hayes is...CHUCK FREAKING HAYES!

Love the guy's hustle and REALLY became a loyal follower ever since he dove on the floor and did a face plant in Denver. Its great to see he worked hard on his "O" this offseason and it may be getting to the point where teams will atleast have to account for the chuckwagon.

You can't stop Chuck Hayes, you can only hope to contain him!!!

9. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

the spokes have been upgraded this offseaon and the chuckwagon is ready to roll in style this season

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

hayes has some great hands he can catch any pass thrown even 5 feet away from him.

11. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Chuck and Aaron have been the biggest surprises.

Just brilliant.

12. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

See, the thing I have to disagree on is the whole "Chuck must have worked on his offense" thing. Chuck could always score, but last season he never got the ball and when he did, it was usually in territory where he couldn't score. Then you couple that with Adelman seemingly yanking him after 1 missed shot and you don't have to wonder why he only took 113 shots all last season.

This year he has already taken 25 shots. He is getting the ball more on pick and rolls. Percentage is crucial in all aspects of life. If you never knew who Ray Allen was and watched him go 1-5 in a game from the 3 point arc, you might think he was a mediocre shooter. With Chuck, if he is in there taking less than 2 shots per game and misses those two shots, it's going to look worse than what it really is.

With the baby hook shots and the spin dribble he did last night, he has always had those offensive moves, he just didn't get a chance to use them as much.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Chuckwagon has officially turned into THE CHUCKERNAUT!

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My adoration of Chuck Hayes is reaching Bill Spiers levels...and that's really saying something. I think it is so easy for the casual fan to really love what he does on the floor because he plays exactly how we would need to in order to ever succeed in the NBA...which is to say much bigger than he actually is, and very, very smart.

1 person likes this.
  15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Gersson Rosas on 610 this morning meantioned that they challenged Hayes this offseason to work on his "O" and conditioning after Yao was ruled out for the year so that he could go from a 6-10 min a game guy to 25-30 mpg guy and not be a liablity on the offensive side or get tired. I agree he has shown flashes but he never showed them with the consistentancy he has this season.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Chuck just needed some playing time to get his offense together. Makes a lot of sense.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have never seen Hayes make anything but a lay-up in all his years. I mean, he gets a lay-up or put back.

Yesterday, I saw him score twice on post-ups.

Usually it's a guaranteed miss.

He scored twice on that.

Awesome Chuck - I'm impressed.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He's a more 'senior' member of the team now and he's been made co-captain - he definitely has more confidence, and combined with more playing time he can show off his offense more.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Check Chuck's offensive numbers under JVG. He shot close to 60% and scored more per minute back then.

20. bjshot

bjshot Member

I think that Chulk is no more foul prone. This is the biggest progress of chulk. He can stay on court and be aggressive.