1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. meanplays

meanplays Member

I think he'll age well plus his style fits the rockets, I'm in

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Personally I think the ship has sailed on Millsap, but hypothetically, can he be Draymond Green and play center in a "lineup of death" type situation?

Could you live with a lineup that had Bev/Harden/Ariza/Anderson/Millsap on it?

I've always been a big fan of Millsap's game and have wanted him on this team for years. Both he and Korver are players I would love to see added to the Rockets.

However, after they signed Dwight and Horford bounced, I think the ship sailed on any hope of taking those guys from Atlanta. They are going to try to win now unless someone is offering them good picks, which we of course don't have.

3. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

No, Millsap won't ever be as good as Draymond Green defensively, particularly rim protection, so it won't work.

There's really only one Draymond Green type player in the entire NBA (except Lebron)

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

None are 3-D players.

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Find a way to get Middleton. Don't need a PF.

6. craguin

craguin Member

<iframe src="https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/b1702e25-2a20-44f5-aa25-4443c5f4d98f/embed?theme=light-orange" style="width: 100%; height: 200px; border: 0 none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    ^^^
    I just listened to this Vertical/JJ Redick podcast with Ryno. They were kidding about Ryno going to the Clippers this summer before he chose to sign with the Rockets. Ryno has an offseason home in South Bay, Los Angeles.

Ryno says he wouldn't mind playing again for SVG. They joked about Ryno going back to Sacramento [born/grew up there through high school].

7. craguin

craguin Member

#167 craguin, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Would be a huge get and fit imo. I also do not think he'd hurt chemistry in the least.

I would be shocked if Morey doesn't pull out all the stops to get him. I could see our euro guys, salaries to match and picks including a first rounder.

Do we have enough? Not sure, but this is the year to go all in.

#168 mikol13, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

2017 first, Dekker, Brewer, KJ, Nene and Ennis for Millsap. Crazy to have to fill out 4 roster spots mid season, and not sure it's what the Hawks are looking for, but in theory I'd do it.

10. craguin

craguin Member

It would have to be Ryno for Millsap, if Rockets do it. No way Hawks would waive that many players. Maybe Ryno+Harrell for Millsap+Muscala ?

11. Lightsnowaction

Man, I love me some Millsap, upgrade over Anderson at everything (except 3s), would honestly vault us to top 10 defense, he actually can play C and has no problem going up agaimst Draymond.
    The problem is you would have to pay him the max and I don't feel he can the 2nd option on offense on a championship team, he's a 3rd option. Plus, his age and has shown some decline, but would awesome in a pace and space team like ours.
    I'm torn because we would definitely go to the WCF with him.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Brewer + Capella + Harrell + Dekker + multiple 1st round picks.

13. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I like Millsap and all, but he is not, was not, and never will be a superstar. He's not a double digit rebounder, he's not an all world defender, but he sure can light up a scoreboard.

Anderson is playing great for us, and there are not enough minutes to go around. Millsap is a 4, not a 3, not a 5, it's just not a feasible trade that moves this particular team's needle.

He's not the missing piece. He would improve us for 20 minutes a game, for half a season. That is not worth picks and talent, which is what the Hawks would require in any trade.

14. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

@dwert

your boy dwight is doing wonders for chemistry in atlanta.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ryan for milsap straight up i'd do but i wont gut the team for him.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No way we would give up Ryno for Millsap right now. I could be convinced but that doesn't matter, neither Morey nor Les nor MDA would approve it, each for their own reason. We lose Ryno's spacing it could have serious implications on the season, it totally changes the way we play. What could happen to us is exactly what has happened to the Hawks - losing a guy who spaces the floor reduces the overall efficiency of the team.

Hawks wouldn't have a problem waiving 3 guys that's dead cap to them anyway. It's the Rockets that would have to now find 3 players to sign. All the Hawks would be interested in keeping is Dekker and our pick. Brewer they would keep and try to move in the summer (until they realize Brewer was thinking ahead and snapped nudes of coach Bud).

Plus the Hawks look like they want to rebuild. Look at their contracts - no one with a high salary is under contract past this season but Howard and Bazemore. They are more likely to be seeking young building blocks than $18m stretch shooter.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd rather keep Dekker if a deal were actually a possibility. Having said that, you have to give in order to get. Millsap would be a huge addition to the lineup and could be key to going deep in the playoffs. A four who plays defense, a guy that's a real two-way player. It would be intriguing to see how MDA would use Anderson with Millsap if we picked him up. A fantasy, no doubt. Millsap has been talked about on this board for years.

I agree that we'd never include Anderson in a deal. He's too perfect for this offense.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hate to say it, but I don't think I give up Ryno. We need that spacing (and a helluva lot of it) in order for this offense to work.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Interesting target, not sure if we would be interested or not.

20. Lightsnowaction

But thinking about the playoffs, teams will gameplan to go straight at Ryan like Portland use to do with T-Jones. He would almost be unplayable unless he just make too many 3s, and not this Road Ryan > Home Ryan. Though the spacing will be worse, Millsap would he soooo much of an improvement.