1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not sure I understand why a team would want to release Millsap, one of top Power Forwards, onto the open market just to clear some money.

I agree that we probably wouldnt want to replace Anderson with Millsap.

2. bongman

bongman Member

even if they were projected to be first rounders, it does not change the fact that we got them in the 2nd round There are good players every year that slips to the second round and Morey has showed that he has a good eye for finding them.

You already mentioned Parsons. If I may also add, out of the 15 2nd rounders that morey picked, it has produced Landry, Cannan and Trez who have had huge immediate contributions . That is more than 5% success rate - 20% . I took out Dekker as I just remembered he was a 1st rounder. Zhou, There is also no reason to think that Llull can play regular minutes on this league. Zhou and Oanaku are still ? So I have not added them. If we add just one of these players to the list of successful 2nd rounders, the success rate jumps to 30%.

There is value to 2nd rounders. Otherwise, we won't be proposing them as part of a trade. Our disagreement is our valuation of them so I guess we will have to leave it at that.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with everything that you mentioned. My only objection was the price - 2 second rounders. I am not comfortable with the idea of mortgaging the future of our team (picks) for a possible rental. If he is not UFA till next year, I would be ok with the proposal.

4. basketballholic

Atlanta may release him as part of a trade. Then he can chi sign with the trading team (contender) at the minimum and head into free agency this summer. Millsap really holds very little trade value as an expiring contract except as a salary dump (ATL prefers the cap space) unless he opts in to the last year if his deal. I seriously doubt he agrees to opt in UNLESS he gets moved to a destination he wants to stay in. Millsap has destination leverage in trade talks.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just have a hard time believing that the Hawks would do that, holic. While only 2 games above .500, they're 5th in the East with a real shot at getting the 4th spot and home court. Do they really damage their playoff chances by releasing one of their best players (and pissing off their fans, no doubt) for what would probably, as you point out, be a small return? I don't get it.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I understand the value. What I'm saying is none or the players mentioned are more productive than korver. Draymond yes, we didn't draft him. Millsap same thing. Montrezl no or one can hope not yet. Parsons at his best is debatable. Canaan surely not. Landry nope.

All these guys were just small time role players for the most part. And when I threw out % it was for the entire league. The odds of getting draymond, millsap, parsons type player is extremely low. % of landing end of bench role players is low also but morey has that track record. So 2 2nd rd picks I expect one to become an 8th or 9th rotation guy hopefully.

But that's in 2-3 years from now.

My main concern, is improving this year in our hopes for a title. Onuaku is a 2nd rd pick, and he has no bearing on our title chances. Makes no difference to me whether Onuaku(2nd rd pick) or Bobby Brown(free agent scrub) is the last guy on the bench.

But if I could parlay 2 2nd rd picks (say Onuaku and zhou qi) into an expiring korver, then absolutely. Drastically improves roster, keeps flexibility and doesn't harm chemistry.

I think I differ from you about direction of current team. I'm not building and only worried about the future. I'm trying to win the title this year, next year and the year after with future flexibility not as important as it once was.

This team is special and I think taking flexible risks like trading mid 2nd rd picks for an expiring vet is totally worth it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

How much , on the scale of 1 to 10, are you sure 2nd rounders are the future ?
    What you lose in 2nd rounders you may get by winning a title or by making a deep playoff run and that may equal BIG FA signing thus more than offsetting what you lose in 2nd rnd picks.
    On the other hand by being stingy on 2nd round picks you may actually mortgage your future and disappoint Harden or lessen your chance to attract big FAs

ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  8. basketballholic

They wouldn't do it for just a small return.....unless.....Millsap tells them he's gone anyway.

Look at the other side of the trade.....What team is going to give up any substantial assets for if he doesn't agree to opt in to next season?

9. bongman

bongman Member

Is Harden asking for us to get another player? Everything he says implies that he is happy with the crew that we have. There is no assurance that our second rounders will land us an impact player just as a trade will guarantee us a championship . You consider the other scenario where new player messing up the chemistry and getting Harden pissed?

We have the luxury of staying just the way we are because of how we are currently playing. That means we have the leverage on any trade scenario because we are not desperate.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Like I said, Hawks get a first rounder for Korver despite people in this thread telling me I was crazy and throwing up junk offers.

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

12. justtxyank

KJ, Brewer and a 2nd!!!!!1

Vivi likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Stay far away.

This team can contend with a healthy Capella and one more 3/d player.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Not sure why Milsap would ever tell the Hawks he is gone and lose one less suitor to drive up the free agency bidding. It's not like he needs to be traded to his preferred destination, as he is too old to get a 5 year max deal and so all suitors with cap space will be on roughly equal footing.

15. thekad

thekad Member

A 2018 first from Cleveland along with a bad contract isn't valuable...

16. justtxyank

A first round pick is what i said they would get and I was righy

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Now that Korver is gone can we get Thabo on the cheap?

RasaqBoi and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Watching it all implode...

Deuce, craguin, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Can you shed some light my friend

Vivi likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Korver gone(finals will be tougher!)

M Dunleavy jr available. What would you give hawks for him?