1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks part ways with Woodson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 14, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

SpearsNBAYahoo NBA source confirms to Yahoo! Sports that Mike Woodson has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Hawks. NBA.com' first had story.

http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

A lot of coaching vacancies. I would assume Mike Brown will be next. Im pretty sure Elson Turner will find a head coaching job somewhere this off season. If we had JVG assisting Rick Adleman that would be amazing. Could you imagine a JVG defense with a Rick Adleman offense?

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

that would be a dream come true. plus, jvg can get another shot at winning a ring. however, espn on abc would go to hell without jeff.

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Why would JVG accept a assistant gig when he can be a head coach?

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well he won't be the last Mike to be let go this off-season.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Its a pipe dream...I know it will never happen. I was just pointing out how amazing a team would be with JVG defense and a Adelman offense.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Best of luck to ya, Woody. I was up in the air on whether or not the Hawks should retain him but their nosedive in the Orlando series sealed his fate. He seemingly has his limitations as a coach but overall he has nothing to be ashamed of -- coached a bunch of headcases for six years and managed to improve each and every year. Coaches have done a LOT worse in the past before their dismissals or decisions to part ways.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is it just me or Do Clubs think it's a selling point to Free agents that they can pick their next coach?

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

finally. He should have been gone 2 seasons ago.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

WojYahooNBA Hawks aren't planning to spend for coach, sources have insisted all along. Parameters set around 3 years for $1.8 to $2 million per year.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will Johnson survive without Woody?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow people have short memories. do you remember how bad the Hawks were?

14. arsenicbear

arsenicbear Member

They should fire their defensive coach....Do they need to switch every ****ng time?

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Then the pipe dream should be stealing Tom Thibodeau back from the Celtics since he is THE defensive assistant coach, and I don't know, give him a huge contract tell him he will be the defacto-head coach in the waiting when Adelman retires.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Thibodeau will get a head coaching gig in the next 2 seasons, if not this year. Besides, this isn't like college where you name your predecessor. Incumbent coaches have their preferences, and probably voice them to the owner and GM, but ultimately, reputation (amongst players AND management) and economics win out over loyalty.

17. UTweezer

yes actually I do. I've lived in Atlanta and endured part of that horrid streak. Woodson didn't do anything. When you accumulate so many early 1st round draft picks, sometimes things naturally come together although raw, but you start winning.

If you watch a hawks game, they don't even seem to be running plays. It's

joe johnson iso
    josh smith iso .......YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE KOBE OR LEBRON

Run plays. Play as a team. Pass the ball. <<<<< this is all initiated with someone with a GAME PLAN...which should be the coach.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

So I guess Woodson just stood their. You are drunk with haterade.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

ISO'ing isn't all they do but for whatever reason they go through funks where they literally start playing lazy and doing just that instead of using plays and offensive schemes that they've had success with such as PnR'ing and looking for fastbreak opportunities. I think it's a stretch to say Woodson doesn't do ANYTHING but I will agree that despite his glaring success in the W/L columns, his control over the team and inability to stop their bleeding is what ultimately led to his demise in Atlanta. He's still a very capable coach -- he's just coaching a bunch of headcases that lack a true on-the-court leader like most teams have.

But yeah, the ISO'ing is beyond annoying and frustrating. I follow the Hawks closely and if I had a dime for every time I've watched a Hawks player dribble the shot clock out before chucking up some contested, off-balance shot I'd be a millionaire. JJ is guilty of this often, however this has been a staple of Jamal Crawford's career. Hidden beneath all the surprise and praise is an ISO-only player that dominates the ball, doesn't look to pass and is the epitome of a hot/cold player. He was still a solid acquisition and a definite difference-maker at times this year, however given his $10M expiring contract I wouldn't be heartbroken if Atlanta brass capitalizes on his high trade value and uses him to bring in a star.

20. UTweezer

yes he literally stood there.

haterade? wow.