1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks/Grizz draft day deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dm324, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Does anyone besides me think that the Hawks would have been better off not trading with vancouver, lets break it down

grizz got
    #3 pick Pau Gasol
    Lorenzen wright
    Brevin Knight
    #27pick Jamaal Tinsley which they shipped to Indy

Hawks got

Abdur-Rahim

Atlanta could have had a much better lineup now if they never did the deal, they would have two hot young rookies, and lorenzen wright averaged 12 boards a game before his injury. Personally I think a lineup without the trade would have been a big time contender in the east

who thinks this lineup is better than the one with Rahim

If No Trade

c-Ratliff/Mohammed
    pf-Wright/Henderson/Mottola
    sf-Gasol/Kukoc/Glover
    sg-Terry/Dermarr
    pg-Tinsley/Knight

After Trade

c-Ratliff/Mohammed
    pf-Abdur-Rahim/henderson/mottola
    sf-Glover/kukoc
    sg-terry/dermarr
    pg-jaque vaughn and emanual davis

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Was the 27 pick in that deal? It seemed like that was a seperate transaction.

Anyway, I see the deal from Atlanta's perspective. It certainly hasn't turned out well, but Rahim was a star and a local product. They took a young freshman the year before named Dermarr Johnson, and got burned. Dermarr may be good one day, but right now he doesn't even have a true position. He's very physically undeveloped, and in some of his skills as well. They were probably a little gunshy of Gasol for that reason, and seeing as how they need to sell tickets, Rahim was the safe alternative. In retrospect, it's not a good move, but I don't think you can blame the Hawks too much for this one.

3. kbm

kbm Member

The Cat,

The 27th pick was in the same deal; however, it wasn't given to the grizzlies. It was given to the hawks. The hawks had the choice to take that pick from the grizzlies or get two 2nd round picks instead.

4. TexasG

TexasG Member

Also realize that Gasol would not be contending for ROY honors. He would have been playing behind Kukoc. The only reason he's doing so well is because of the amount of PT he's getting.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Also, I'm not very well informed at all, but doesn't Wright play Center for Memphis, and didn't he blossom after he was traded? If so, you could say Atlanta lost out on Wright, but there was no reason to think he would've been as valuable as he is now to Memphis, and still isn't, in my opinion.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Think about this way. How nice will it be to have a top 3 pick in a very powerful 2002 draft. Last year was considered relatively weak. This year could be very promising. Rahim plus williams or the Chinese tower could be devastating. Atlanta will ultimately benefit from the deal should they get into the top 3.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

On the surface it looked like a great deal for Atl, and it still think it may be a decent one for both teams, but we won't know for sure for a while. SAR numbers are comparable to Brand's and both will likely be all-stars this year (or near misses), but noone in LAC land is complaining. The major difference is Gasol (#3 pick) is performing with Chandler (#2 pick) has been AWAL. Because Atl had resigned Muhammod and had Ratliff coming back, Wright appeared expendable. If Atl can get their people healthy (especially Ratliff), there team will be improved (at least in the short-term) because of that trade.

8. Live

Live Member

I still think that this will be one of those rare deals that benefits both teams. Memphis needed a boost and got one, and Atlanta got an All-Star in SAR.

Atlanta still has a chance to be a factor in the East. Problem is, they have no Gs and no chemistry. I've liked Terry ever since he starred at U of Arizona, but he needs to step up and become the complete G he can be. Forget trying to be Iverson, and start becoming a play-making G.

9. Dm324

Dm324 Member

but wright seems a lot better than muhaamad

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

My vote goes to the Grizz. Look back in 5 years and it will have been lopsided. Rahim is a great player, but Gasol may turn out just as good (plus all the others).