1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Having fun Purpura??

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Howyalikemenow, May 25, 2005.

1. Howyalikemenow

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1061485&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

CHICAGO -- The Houston Astros aren't leading the league in much these days, but they've pretty much run the table in terms of closed-door meetings.
    On Tuesday, manager Phil Garner sat in his office in the visitors' clubhouse at Wrigley Field with general manager Tim Purpura, assistant GM Ricky Bennett and special assistant to the GM Matt Galante for more than an hour. These types of meetings these days are not uncommon, considering the Astros entered Tuesday's game with the Cubs with two wins in 22 road games.

The Astros rank last in the league with a .246 batting average, 160 runs scored, 561 total bases and 158 RBIs. So it's safe to say the higher-ups were not at a loss for conversation topics when they convened in Garner's cramped office.

"We're just trying to look at every aspect of what we're doing," Purpura said. "We're searching for answers that we haven't found yet. I think everybody's working hard to find answers and correct the problems we have to get us back to where we want to be. There's no one answer, and there's no easy answer."

Garner is doing his part in attempting to solve the problem by giving every player a chance to prove he can be an everyday contributor. Todd Self was in the starting lineup for a fourth consecutive game on Tuesday, playing right field and batting second. Mike Lamb was also back in the lineup after a brief hiatus, playing first base and batting fifth.

In Garner's eyes, Adam Everett, Morgan Ensberg, Lance Berkman and Craig Biggio are his only starters, by true definition -- players who start day after day after day. Besides those four, the Astros lineup is all about mixing and matching.

"While we're going through this, I'm going to try to use the whole team and give everybody a chance to play a little bit," Garner said.

The skipper is still convinced there are better days ahead.

"Last year, when we lost [Andy] Pettitte and Everett, you would have thought that was a good time to cash in your chips and say, 'We can't win,'" Garner said. "But yet, that's when we got hot and made a great run. Opportunities are out there right now on this ballclub, and we need to step up and start playing like we can.

"We're not this bad. There's no question when you're 2-20 [on the road], no one's that bad. That's where we are. But going forward, we can sure be better in the next 42 games."

Weekend rotation: Roy Oswalt, Ezequiel Astacio and Pettitte are scheduled to pitch this weekend in Milwaukee, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Astacio allowed nine runs over 1 2/3 innings in his last outing.

It's also hard to ignore the fact that Saturday just happens to be the day Wandy Rodriguez would pitch on normal rest, or that the left-hander was impressive in his Major League debut on Monday at Wrigley Field, allowing four runs over 5 2/3 innings.

As of Tuesday, Astacio was slated to pitch on Saturday. He was also available to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, and the same applies to Wednesday's series finale in Chicago.

Regardless, assuming Pettitte starts on Sunday, either Rodriguez or Astacio will have to come out of the rotation, and moving to the bullpen is not out of the question for either pitcher.

The question is, did Rodriguez earn another start with his debut performance? Purpura spoke about the left-hander's immediate future in general terms.

"I think Wandy's certainly capable of pitching in the big leagues," the GM said. "It's a matter of how he fits on the staff and how can he best be used? He is a developing pitcher, and he has one Major League start. The question is, how do we continue to develop him, either at the Major League level or Minor League level?"

Along with his pitching, Rodriguez was impressive in the other aspects of his game. He made several nice defensive plays, including one from his knees on a tricky bunt. He also logged his first big-league hit.

"Every day, I try to take positives out of what's going on," Purpura said. "We certainly analyze the negatives, but you also have to look at the positives. His performance last night was certainly a positive to me."

Bagwell surgery: Jeff Bagwell's surgery, originally thought to be scheduled for June 2, was moved to June 7. Bagwell will travel to Spartanburg, S.C., for the right shoulder capsule release procedure, which will be peformed by Dr. Richard Hawkins and Astros medical director David Lintner.

Mistaken identity: When the Astros signed Rodriguez as a non-drafted free agent in 1999, they knew they were getting a talented young left-hander with a lot of potential.

Little did they know that Rodriguez wasn't quite as young as they thought, or that his name wasn't even Wandy Rodriguez. The left-hander was one of a slew of Latin American players who were exposed post-Sept. 11, for fudging their ages, and sometimes names, years after they signed with Major League teams.

"When we signed him, he was Eny Cabreja," Purpura said.

Homecoming: Purpura watched plenty of Cubs and White Sox games as a kid growing up in the Chicago suburb of Oak Lawn, Ill., and this trip to the Windy City has special meaning, considering it's his first return to his hometown since he became GM of the Astros.

Purpura visited with old college friends and also went to the gravesite of his father, James, who passed away in 1991.

"It's kind of bittersweet," Purpura said of the trip to Chicago. "My dad was a big reason why I grew to love this game. We came here [to Wrigley], we'd go to Comiskey Park. I spent a lot of time at baseball games."

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get it...

How in the world is Adam Everett not part of the mix and match group. Somehow he's in the same class as Lance and Biggio??? He's batting close to 200... worse than Bogart.

I'm not sold on Everett at all, and send Bruntlett down. I'd like a look at Burke playing shortstop. At least he was hitting .250 while he was up here.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Everett sucks, bring back Lugo.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

at least we know Lugo can hit....even if its not a ball

sorry...couldnt resist

4. Howyalikemenow

OUCH! :p

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I would take Lugo anyday over Adam . His defense may not be as good but atleast he can get a hit .

Lugo :

Avg - .274
    HR - 2
    RBI -21
    SB - 12

Adam :

Avg - .221
    HR - 3
    RBI - 14
    SB - 2

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

To me it depends on what kind of team we have. This year, we could really use the hitting. Last year, we already had offense, so Everett's defense was more valuable.

7. Howyalikemenow

I agree, his defense has been solid the last few years, but he already has half the errors of last year and his hitting has dropped a good bit .270 to .220. Though everyone's has dropped - except Biggio and Ensberg.

Of course, everyone was grumbling about Everett's hitting last year too, but eventually fell silent once Viscaino took over, because Viz actually hit for average and played solid D too.

I dunno... I think a trade is needed to put the "scare" in some of these players. Lamb or Lane are good trade options.

8. spence99

spence99 Member

I don't think Everett is that great defensively. I think everyone says he is great defensively because he can't hit.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Lugo defense is not bad, he has really improved at it. Everett defense is better but Lugo is a 100 times better hitter.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess I don't understand why Everett is considered a starter after the way he has played. I would expect any shortstop to at least play decent defense. It's his hitting that isn't worth a sh*t.

I say we ship Everett down to AA and bring up someone else until Adam quits playing the p***y ball he's been playing. How many chances to give the guy before you throw your hands up in the air and say enough is enough? How many clutch hits has he had when we needed them that led to losses because he didn't come through? Enough for me to send his ass down at least.

Plus, he's in the dugout head banging with Backe last game when he really needs to keep his dumbass head in the game. I get the feeling the Astros are all about the paycheck these days. Do they even care if they lose? Or, is it just...another day...another loss...kind of mentality? I want to see some players show some heart and speak up like Ausmus did the other day.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That's what SHE said!

12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is really one of the most ridiculous things I have read recently. OK...Everett's batting average isn't great. In fact, it's bad. (As though he were alone in that) He was a .273 hitter last year. There is no reason to think that he'll hit .225 for the rest of the year. Oh and recall that 18-3 debacle last weekend in Arlington. One of the few bright spots during that game was a 400 foot shot hit by....Adam Everett.

Everett's defense is well above average. He makes Lugo look like one of the 3 Stooges defensively. He is a slick fielder, particularly deep in the hole.

You want to ship him down and bring somebody up. Who? Chris Burke isn't any better a hitter (in fact, he's worse) and he has nowhere near the range to play shortstop.

You state that it's all about the paycheck. Relatively speaking, Everett's checks aren't that big. He is still under the reserve clause.

Also, you're going to complain about hitting and then use Brad Ausmus as a role model for showing heart.

Are you for real?

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I just don't understand it. What the heck is it that makes Adam Everett so special? How can a guy that has hit so poorly his ENTIRE PRO CAREER make people think that he can be an above average major league player?

These are the "great" Adam Everett's stats

1998 Lowell A .296 avg/.393 obp/.8 bb/k
    1999 Trenton AA .263 avg/.347 obp/.6 bb/k
    2000 New Orleans AAA .245 avg/.356 obp/.8 bb/k
    2001 New Orleans AAA .249 avg/.315 obp/.5 bb/k
    2001 Houston .000 avg/.000 obp/.0 bb/k
    2002 New Orleans AAA .275 avg/.331 obp/.4 bb/k
    2002 Houston .193 avg/.297 obp/.6 bb/k
    2003 New Orleans .250 avg/.306 obp/.4 bb/k
    2003 Houston .256 avg/.320 obp/.4 bb/k
    2004 Houston .273 avg/.317 obp/.3 bb/k
    2005 Houston .221 avg/.280 obp/.4 bb/k

And Chris Burke

2001 Michigan A .300 avg/.374 obp/.8 bb/k
    2002 Round Rock AA .264 avg/.330 obp/.6 bb/k
    2003 Round Rock AA .301 avg/.379 obp/1.0bb/k
    2004 New Orleans AAA .315 avg/.396 obp/.7 bb/k
    2005 Houston .222 avg/.265 obp/.2 bb/k
    2005 Round Rock AAA .328 avg/.392 obp/.5 bb/k

I will never understand how you guys can say that Everett is a better hitter than Burke. What has he done in his pro career that makes you think this? His absolute high water mark will always be in the range of that .273 he posted last season. If you took a minute and look at some of the other numbers he posted (bb/k, obp) you could see something like this happening. He is and will always be nothing more than a ~.250-.260 hitter in his career.

Burke on the other hand has real potential. Its an absolute waste that he is at Round Rock right now.

Edit: ya know Refman, I've been thinking...you up for a clutchjar wager? I will wager you that Burke has a higher major league batting average this season than Adam Everett. How's $50 sound? I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

#14 Xenon, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Who said Everett is a BETTER hitter than Burke? I glanced through the posts, above, and I don't see that. I'll acknowledge that Burke is likely a better hitter than Adam. But Adam fields the toughest infield position...a position which Burke was tossed from because he didn't have the range for. You're willing to sacrifice some pop for defense at certain positions. SS is one of those.

16. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Read it again. He said that Everett is a better hitter than Burke.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i stand corrected.

i don't think the sample size is big enough to know on burke. but i'm not real encouraged, frankly. if that's the best we have on the farm, we have some work to do! :)

18. Buck Turgidson

Xenon, none of that changes the fact that the Astros - Hun, Purp, Lakey, Riccarini, etc, etc, etc... - saw Burke play plenty of SS his first couple of years in the minors. He has played almost exclusively at 2B since then. Poor footwork, noodle arm, slap hitter were the prevalent opinions. They also feel his power stats from N.O. last season were "misleading".

He might make a decent 2B some day, but the Astros aren't very high on him, plus he has no position to play on the big club this season (or next, the way Biggio is playing).

19. msn

msn Member

Exactly, and ditto for Ausmus.

Additionally, anyone who doesn't think Adam is much defensively is reading the "E" column exclusively to gain his or her opinion. The guy has *great* hands and a great range.