1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you or are you going to Stop Watching Sports because of Kneeling?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 31, 2020.

?

Are you going to stop watching pro sports because of kneeling?

1. Yes I am.

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No.

50 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While i certainly respect your Religious beliefs, I don't get this argument. Those who are kneeling aren't kneeling in reverance or treating the flag like God.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with you but thank you for an honest answer.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting response, given that the push back against kneeling appears to be due to players not being sufficiently reverential to the flag.

I suppose pledging allegiance to a flag is not only OK for you, but also one's moral duty? How do you square that with your statement that you only support kneeling to God?

RayRay10, Patience and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they’re kneeling on FOLDED TOWELS!!!!!!! FOLDED towels.

Where’s the sacrifice in that?? The HONOR???

If they were logging y’all timbers, I tell ya, there would be no folded towels. Just hardwood all the way.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe he meant Trump tho.

conquistador#11 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I watched the NFL less because of the kneeling. Not because the players were kneeling. I support it. I stopped watching the NFL because the media and people kept TALKING about it. Lulz.

arkoe, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No. I stop when it becomes boring.

I respect people peacefully protest for their sense of injustice or whatever else. If it’s done with respect, even better. Kneeling has historically been about respect until it get redefined recently.

Chris Jackson has my respect.

RayRay10 and Patience like this.
  8. B-Bob

Think of all the entertainment we take in (or used to take in).

You go to a movie. There is no flyover, no national anthem, no flag. (Though in Modi's India, I've heard you have to stand for the anthem before movies now.)

You meet some friends out for dinner. You don't stand and pledge allegiance to the government. (Well, maybe you do, but most of us do not.)

Why did sports get this nationalistic thing going? I'm not saying it's bad, but it's kind of odd.

RayRay10 and Patience like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

according to this source--September 5, 1918:

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events

Amiga, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I don’t want to say I’m done with sports but I’m close to it at this moment, maybe I’ll change my stance. I certainly don’t care for the kneeling but I will admit to a persons right to whatever during the anthem ..you can jump on one foot, stand, sit fart, go to the bathroom and take a dump, jackoff, whatever ....unfortunately those that stand such as jonathon issac of the NBA has to kinda answer to stupid questions such as : "I'm very curious about — and will be patient for — Jonathan Isaac's explanation here," tweeted basketball writer Dane Moore. "Standing for the anthem is one thing... But seeming to be intentional about *not* wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt.... I dunno, man..." (from cnn website) ... not wearing the t shirt of “SOME“ black lives matter (in certain instances) is not compulsory or at least shouldn’t be

11. B-Bob

12. ROXRAN

Once I think on this I have to agree. The only thing I can think of is the olympics sports carryover factor where it makes more sense to be attributed there

ps man I miss movies

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

America in a nutshell, talk about being triggered.

Ha!

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I have REDUCED my watching, but haven't quit entirely. I watch sports to escape from the ugliness of politics, and then to be force-fed a social lecture in this manner is just wrong. I also think it's going to backfire. Most people find it highly offensive to be lectured on anything by people who really don't have their own house in order in the first place. Get off your high horse and play basketball. Save us the moral lecture!

ROXRAN likes this.
  15. ROXRAN

If the person had a “All Lives Matter” sign that would probably not been contentious in that community.
    great points as always !

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why should a BLM sign be so contentious?

How about just move along, why the slurs and cursing?

Why should the person be censored?

Do you feel the same about Maga hats?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

To answer your questions, BLM is a very very narrow defined movement as it relates to Actual “black lives“. Only 12 black people were killed in 2019 that were unarmed by police , by comparison the black lives lost including children by rioters such as the shooting of the child near Wendy’s in Atlanta or the Chicago shooting. In addition, BLM as an organization is Marxist which condemns aspects of what makes America, well...America. ...as far as the slurs and cursing - it’s not nice but at least they aren’t shooting cars or burning things plus people see BLM as a forced political movement that only actually cares about a severely limited scope of black lives that are adversely impacted. How is it that a organization that is so narrow minded and So uncaring of many black lives be a movement that represents many? ...should the person be censored? Of course not but how about a sign that says “All BLM even those killed or assaulted by BLM protestors” ...this is something we can all be behind , we need to unify the country and BLM As an organization, as it’s defined, as-is and narrowed in scope ain’t it...the maga hats are silly imo to answer that question.

18. ROXRAN

[​IMG]

"For me Black lives are supported through the gospel. All lives are supported through the gospel," he said. "We all have things that we do wrong and sometimes it gets to a place that we're pointing fingers at who's wrong is worst. Or who's wrong is seen, so I feel like the Bible tells us that we all fall short of God's glory. That will help bring us closer together and get past skin color. And get past anything that's on the surface and doesn't really get into the hearts of men and women."

One word: Powerful. When someone is offered to follow the easy way of the sheep or speak up for “All lives”, which may open him up to ridicule that resonates more than BLM ever could. His actions and more importantly his reasoning gives me a greater hope

#58 ROXRAN, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    tinman and JumpMan like this.
  19. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Nothing But Assholes

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Who gives a damn? John Wayne's politics were pretty far right but I still watch his movies. Chick Fil A's owners are evangelical homophobes but I had an old-school #1 combo last night. Yum yum.
    That seems to reinforce that special brand of American Christianity.

I'm sure if Jesus returned now, it wouldn't necessarily be here, in the States. Once he got a whiff of how far little there is of "Christ" in "Christianity," he'd probably s***. "Wow, really? And what else? A game? Flag, kneeling.....what? Could you just take my name out of it? Maybe just 'ianity'? What? Too much like 'Hannity'? There's more 'insanity' than 'Christianity' going on here."

RayRay10 likes this.