1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you experienced these painful bites?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deb4rockets, Apr 13, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They did the Giant Asian centipede, and as of episode 8 it is ranked #2 behind the reticular python if all the bites they have taken. The initial pain and duration were extremely high.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. droxford

droxford Member

I haven't been stung/bitten by any of those critters...

... but I've been married for 24 years.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think about the most painful bite I've experienced is probably a fire ant bite. I really haven't gotten stung or bitten by anything. Well, my little cousin tried to bite my finger off when he was a kid. That was painful.

I've watched a lot of this guy's videos. He goes around getting bit by some of the scariest crap out there. It seems like that Kings of Pain TV show is just copying his Youtube series, but I could be wrong. He's been around on youtube for a few years and ranks the worst bites he's had. I had no idea about the existence of the warrior wasp, but if I heard a colony of those things while walking around, that'd scare the hell out of me with their drumbeat warnings :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6E2mP01ZLH_kbAyeazCNdg

arkoe and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

10 and 9

Stingray got me in the hand when my friend and I were kayaking. He was being a jackass and tipped me over in shallow water. My hand went to the bottom and the stingray got be between my thumb and index finger. Cussing at my friend helped me deal with the pain until I got it in hot water.

Black widow was on the cushion of an outdoor swinging bench. It got me on the thigh and I felt the bite. I brushed it to the ground and stepped on him. The initial bite wasn't bad at all. Then it turned to sweating, nausea, and a headache. The doctor gave me some pain meds and muscle relaxers (apparently you can get muscle spasms from a bite but I didn't). I felt ill for about 12 hours. It took a couple days for all the pain to go away.

Initial pain from the stingray was worse because a barb went through my hand and took longer to heal. The black widow felt almost like food poisoning but didn't actually vomit.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know a dude that got stung by a stingray down in Port A, and almost lost his foot and died from sepsis. can be a real serious pain/sting.

We had some of those asp caterpillars in the backyard a few years back... I wasn't actually too familiar with them, fortunately my wife was, so we carefully removed them.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

Honestly, those are so scary that they just depress me to think about. I'm not going to link the video that explains the tragic incident that led to the rightfully-extreme safety protocols needed to handle them.

Instead, I'll link the now-unlisted video of Cody of Cody's Lab putting metallic mercury in his mouth and spitting it through his teeth to show that metallic mercury is actually not as dangerous as it's made out to be.

deb4rockets and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was bitten by a brown recluse many years ago and it was not so much painful as it made me nauseous, muscle aches, and swelling of joints. Started as a huge blister looking blob. I was still in college and noticed the blister in the morning but because it didn't hurt, I went to class. I had tennis at 10:40 and about mid way through class I started feeling pretty weird and light-headed. Then the tips of my fingers and elbow joints started ballooning. Yikes.

Went to the doctor and he gave me a shot, I forget whether it was cortisone or antibiotic or whatever. I think cortisone. Took forever to heal but luckily I did not develop necrotic tissue as some do. Left me with a half dollar size round scar crater that looks like I took a bullet in my abdomen. Although, now as an old dad-bod geezer it's more of an oval.

Buck Turgidson and deb4rockets like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Those are some nasty spiders. My cousin's wife had one fall into the rear of her jeans while painting on the porch in Kansas. It ate a big hole near her lower back and butt from what I heard. She went through a real nasty recovery process.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think Port A is a big hot spot for stingrays. I'd be curious to see stats on that area compared to other beaches in the US. Just by the pier is where I got jabbed, as well as a friend who told me about her experience there. I also saw it happen to a guy there one day before it happened to me.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Rattle snake in my early 20’s. Always had a massive dislike for poisonous snakes. After being bit, was immediately scared of other bites. Once removed myself was very calm. Had two others with me. After 30-45 seconds was sweating bad and felt would pass out but didn’t let anyone know as could only explain it as a very internal event.

Was very expensive to treat at ER. Follow up visits and oddly nightmares. After the fact I have heard my friends comment on how calm and polite I was and didn’t seem fazed when nothing could be farther from the truth internally. I thought I would die.

A brown recluse got my father when I was 10-12 years old. He didn’t complain much and I don’t believe he went to the doctor until a dime sized wound on his hand opened on its own and then he went. Had to literally cut part of his flesh out. At least that is how I remember it 30 years later.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Rattlesnakes and stingrays suck.

Do not recommend. 0 out of 5 stars.

Nook and deb4rockets like this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

Since it was mentioned in the list, here's a graphic of Justin Schmidt's colorful, sommelier-like descriptions of being stung by different insects:

[​IMG]

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I used to have nightmares over snakes, which probably stemmed from an incident as a child in Pearland. We had a 5 acre farm tract behind our little culdesac, and houses were still under development in what used to be a more country than urban areas of town.

My brother and I were playing with a neighbor in his house with those little plastic link toys, pretending we were making snakes. We were 7 and 5. My brother and friend went to the door leading to the garage. The next thing I heard was them saying snake, from what I remember, but I figured they were joking around.

By the time I finally came out all I heard was what happened. Supposedly my brother saw a rattlesnake on top of one of those big bags of dog food near the door in the garage, and luckily wasn't struck in the face or upper body. One of the construction workers from next door had killed it already before I ever came outside.

Yeah, it's unfortunate you and your dad both experienced two of the many Texas venomous creatures. The rattlesnake and Brown Recluse are two really nasty ones indeed.

#34 deb4rockets, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's what the premise was for the Kings of Pain show, and wanting to extend the scale into categories of pain and also include snakes, jellyfish, urchins, and other reptiles into the pain scale.

Schmidt has a great way with words, and now I want to read his book after reading some of his descriptions. Funny and gruesome. He should team up with Tarantino or Martin McDonagh for a movie script. What a great team they would make.

I love these descriptions he gave:

Velvet Ant - Dasyrrutila Klug
    Explosive and long lasting, you sound insane as you scream. Hot oil from the deep fryer spilling all over your entire hand.

Maricopa Harvester Ant- Pogonomyrmex maricopa
    "After eight unrelenting hours of drilling into that ingrown toenail, you find the drill is wedged in the toe."

Honey Wasp - Brachygastra metallica
    *Spicy, blistering A cotton swab dipped in habanero Sauce has been pushed up your nose."

412eDu7YN1L._AC_SY400_.jpg

#35 deb4rockets, Apr 18, 2020
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don’t particularly care for winged bugs like hornets/wasps and flies. I tend to run if a wasp is threatening me.

Given that, I had a rat or something die in the wall of my master bath a few years back. First, came the smell for about three weeks. Then, came the gross waves of big black flies. I was in there with t-shirt wrapped-around my head and I had to deal with spraying hundreds of these gross things flying everywhere. Yuck! There were three generations of flies I had to go through.

Likely unrelated, I had some black wasp looking wing creature find an entry point from outside into my master bath. So, I had to battle all these gross mofos flying around mainly in the bath. They used to line up on the rail of the window blind. Again, had to go to town with bug spray. This went on for probably two months. Once they establish a scented trail, they just kept coming.

Also, had a drain pipe break in-wall once. Sewer gnats infested the master bath/house until I found source of problem.

Never got stung by any of these but I basically stayed away from the master bath for a long time because of trauma and used the spare bath. LOL

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

What a nightmare. Ugh

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

What the **** is the point of a platypus? Stinging mammals that lay eggs?

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

My 12 lb pomapoo and 24 lb Lhasa apso have both bit me and it wasnt fun.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I play this game with my newly inherited yellow lab where I snap or fake bite at her and she does it back to me. I think she is playing but was wondering if she might bite me in the face if I get too close?

#40 Surfguy, Apr 18, 2020
    R0ckets03 likes this.