1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever encountered a racist change their stance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by WinorLoseMate, Jun 14, 2020.

1. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Simple question. May be related or unrelated to current events. Been lurking this section for years now and have seen the same people make a stand for the same argument over and over again.

So can anyone actually find a public example where somebody who had something against a certain race, change their stance over time and come to accept said race?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Look up Daryl Davis. He did Rogan's podcast beginning of the year, wrote a book.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes is quite common

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Wallace who once said "Segregation now and segregation forever" late in his life renounced his segregationist past.. He even apologized to black people for his previous positions.

Rashmon, RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it happens

Do I personally know anyone who has done this? No. If you’re racist, I want nothing to do with u. I know a few who I thought were cool, but then a situation like an Ahmaud Arbery or Trump’s rise to power brings out their true colors.

I tore a ligament in my pinky and had to get surgery and see a physical therapist afterwards to regain strength and movement in that finger...dude was cool, and we had great convos about all sorts of things...I actually looked forward to going to physical therapy

all this was going on while Trump and Clinton were having their debates, but we never talked about politics

towards the end of what was supposed to be 1 of my last sessions, just out of the blue, he starts praising Trump, talking about how Mexicans are bad and are taking our jobs, bringing up conspiracy theories. and even suggesting websites I should go to to seek the truth

I’m sitting there like

[​IMG]

needless to say I never came back to complete my last few scheduled sessions

RayRay10, DVauthrin, Sanctity and 2 others like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I encounter moments of moral clarity on race quite often with known racists. The ongoing battle is the ignorance they feel most comfortable being allowed to stew in. A moment like we’ve had has forced them to get to a point of admitting need for change, but I’m not hopeful that most of these folks will go back to the comfort zone at first chance.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I had a roommate about 20 years ago that seemed cool until one day started ripping on the Mexicans hanging out in from our the complex - when I told them that was the super and his family, he didn't care and just ripped on Mexicans. I asked him to leave the next day.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and Rocket River like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

when someone u really thought was a good person, someone u were really cool with, just exposes themselves it’s so disappointing...there’s a few I had to cut off completely after some of their rhetoric

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I grew up in NOLA and after many years went back and met up with some old childhood friends for drinks. Some of them said some crazy racist things. I said I wasn't comfortable with it and explained why. You know what - they changed their stances and really opened up their minds.

I think it's possible to change minds, but it's not a rational thing. I think the reason I changed these guys minds was because I was a childhood friend and there was a connection there. People's minds can be shifted because racism is based on fear and irrational thinking. But to break that thinking requires an emotional moment, not a rational argument.

I think that's why this George Floyd moment is so powerful.

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

The only racist I have ever known was a childhood friend's father. I doubt he ever changed his stance before he died. Other than that I have never met anyone openly racist and I know 100% none of my friends or family are racist. That includes the friend who had the racist dad although we are not as close as we once were.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Drew Brees changed his stance on kneeling in just a single day.

Xerobull and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Lol. Bullshiet

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

nope...as usual, u have nothing of substance to add, now fck off

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. generalthade_03

As usual you’re full of bullshiet lies like these punks BLM, Antifa, Trump haters that you have a hard-on for.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

more nonsense from this idiot

nothing I said was a lie...scram b*tch

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. generalthade_03

Your whole leftist ideology that you believed in is based on a lie. Just a little free education for your little brainwashed mind. You can thank me later when you finally #WalkAway.
    Profanity is the first thing you will lose when you #WalkAway.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

18. generalthade_03

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

aww, look at the little troll throwing a tantrum

u better not do what I expect u to do and go ghost and renege from your bets when your orange deity loses to Biden

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How in the f*** would you know? Do you know either poster personally?

RayRay10 likes this.