1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever changed your opinion about a political issue debated in a D&D thread?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deji McGever, Mar 17, 2005.

?

Has your opinion ever been changed by a thread in D&D?

1. Yes, a poster here has convinced me to change an opinion.

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No, or if I have changed my opinion, it has nothing to do with anything anyone here said.

23 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Abortion, gun control, drilling in Alaska, Bush, Clinton, The War on Terror, the War on Drugs...whatever

Post if you have found yourself coming to a different conclusion on a position that you would have otherwise taken for granted as a part of your political identity.

I can think of many threads where posters have argued well against opinions I have held, and others that have argued poorly in defense of things I have agreed with, but I can't think of any one post that has made me want to change a vote or anything.

I guess what I am getting at, is, beyond all the barbs and partisan cognitive dissonance and one-upmanship that go on here, has anyone here ever REALLY changed your mind?

Oh yeah, and posts by LHUTZ don't count. ;)

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I voted yes, but I don't know if it would really count. I changed my mind not about big issues, but some things. Just recently after seeing the quote from one of the leaders of the anti-Syrian movement in Lebanon and what he had to say about Bush's influence I changed my mind about how much credit I gave to Bush about the direction of things there.

I didn't change my mind on the Iraq war or Bush as a whole, but on that piece of the mini-issue I did change it.

Andymoon has changed my mind about the legalization of Drugs also.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've certainly changed my opinion about some of the members, mostly for the better. I don't think I've had an opinion changed by posts on the board... not about politics. It's possible that it's occured, and I haven't realized it.

Nah!!

Keep D&D Civil!!

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm certain that I have changed other people's opinions here in the D&D, but nobody has ever changed mine. I have very well thought out positions that are iron-clad.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Not sure i've changed opinions, but i've certainly come to understand other points of view. I kind of (almost) perhaps understand why people could have voted for Bush, or why the swift boat smokescreen had a bit of substance. Don't agree --- but understand.

The long lost Mr, Paige was particularly good at articulating views different from mine.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I've softened on the death penalty because of a concern about mistakes and also a disappointment in its deterrant factor.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

mrpaige is one of the members that I came to understand as a complex, interesting person of strongly held opinions, who could surprise you with his stands on certain issues. A conservative about many things (the arguments we had about state politics!), but very liberal and open-minded about other subjects. Max is someone else like that. Mango another.

I have much more respect for people like that than I do for those who "blow their own horn," run from a debate that goes against them, and then come back to blow their own horn again. I wish mrpaige would turn up again, along with rimrocker and some others whose disappearance is a mystery, at least to me.

As for me... heck, I confuse myself! giddy reminds me of me. ;)

Keep D&D Civil!!

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have a better, more informed opinion from discussions on this very board.

But I have not taken a 180 degree swing on a subject. I would be very surprised if anybody does actually. We as humans generally are not programmed to have radical shifts of opinion. We are much likely to drift slowly from one side of the issue to the other.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Due to various D&D threads, I have changed my long-held opinion that the Soviet Union was the evil empire during the 1980s.

I now know that the New York Mets were the true evil empire during that time.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My opinions have certainly changed since I signed up for this BBS, but that is natural and I could never quantify how much it had to do with other opinions on here.

I do like to periodically engage in discussion with those who have a much different view from mine. Doing so in a productive way, even if it doesnt change core beliefs/values will alter my belief system, will augment what I already have.

Or, often I have no strong opinion about something but discussing it with those who do can educate me and lead me to solidify my beliefs...again, even if they approach it from a different direction.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I thought I was the staunch, immovable force of stupidity? How can that be confusing? :D

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

On issues that I've come in with a pretty solid opinion and that I'm already well informed on I don't think anyone here or in any other political board has changed my opinion.

For issues that I don't have a very strong opinion or not very well informed on I have changed my opinion.

There's a lot of issues that come up on this board that I don't think about very often and its interesting to follow those. As for the ones that I do think about its interesting to debate those with others even if it doesn't change opinions. At the minimum its entertaining and also sharpens my own positions and intellect but there have been plenty of stuff I've learned even on issues that I've studied from the D & D.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To the extent my views have changed any subject we've talked about here, i'm sure that input from others has been a factor in that. I think this forum is good to the extent it forces me to look at problems from another angle.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Converstations with Max have caused me to refine my position on abortion. I am still pro-choice, but I have changed my mind on a whole host of ancillary topics surrounding the issue.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

To expand on this, what i like about this forum is it gives me the ability to focus sharply on what I believe and to develop rationale for those beliefs.

Actually, I don't know who actually changed my mind, but I have changed my mind on the death penalty (from pro- to anti-).

Our resident gun nut (ROXRAN, right?) has also changed my mind to some extent on gun control.