1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Have their eyes seen 'God particle'? Fermilab finds hints of Higgs boson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

no one would care if you got in a terrible car accident.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you! And if I may, on behalf of the great majority of scientists, we would prefer you not get in a car wreck, contrary to some posts in this thread. :)

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Lol. Do you practice your tough guy routines in front of the mirror too? Cmon man thats unnecessary to say something like this to another person. L

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Oh I thought we were just posting incendiary and nonsensical comments. My bad.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'll check back with you once I start wishing for the scientists to get in a terrible car accident.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

holy **** go continue eating a rock u neanderthal

7. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

This......times 10.

I saw what B-Bob said, and I guess that makes more sense.

My goodness, the way some folks were so excited, one would have thought this particle could somehow lead to the cure for HIV/AIDS.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can say that about pretty much several interests on this board. The fact people get excited over a basketball game is pretty much a waste of time, isn't it? The Super Bowl? March Madness? TV Shows? I'm sure someone somewhere in Europe said "wooptie doo" to Columbus "discovering" America. Big deal, they had bills to pay. BTW, how do you know this discovery won't lead to the cure for HIV/AIDS? ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. tomato

tomato Member

Maybe you can imagine it being as important as discovering the "missing link" of human evolution. It's actually way more important than that, though, because instead of being about 1 animal, it's about any matter that has a mass. Benefits from these sorts of things aren't apparent immediately, you can't look at it that way. It fills in a big piece of the puzzle on a very elementary level, and we can continue to advance our understanding (/technology/standard of life/however practically you might be looking for benefits)

1 person likes this.
  10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Still, you gotta admit, your post was very ignorant if not rash. And it seems you are suggesting that scientists delay their research on account of a weak economy. If so, why?

11. blink

blink Contributing Member

Drive out to Austin hotballa, ill say you're an idiot to your face. Ill pay for gas.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This video helped me understand quite a lot:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QG8g5JW64BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basically, Higgs-Boson describes how things get mass. How is that useful? Well, the force required to accelerate depends on mass. The less mass you are, the faster you can accelerate. What if, using our knowledge of the Higgs field and Higgs-Boson particles, we can somehow manipulate the mass of things? Suddenly, that 5,000 ton spaceship can accelerate to the speed of light in an instant if it's massless, getting us from point A to point B immediately.

Hopefully I didn't butcher that summary/fantasy too much. I'm sure B-Bob will skewer me if I did... I'm just a programmer. :p

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Just because your still coming to grips with the secrets of the vagina doesn't mean all the science fancy talk is bad.

#34 Joshfast, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

can somebody dumbmarize this?

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Finding out the building blocks of the universe? "Whatever!"
    :rolleyes:

17. Apps

Apps Member

People have suffered and starved in every single era of history since the dawn of man. It is the plight of the human, and let's be honest, Europe isn't even bearing the worst of it even in the midst of its recent troubles. Scientific discoveries like this have the potential for transcendence--they are, on a grander scale, far more important than the arbitrarily designed economies of the world (insofar that those economies are still capable of funding potentially ground-breaking research like this). Humanity has outgrown its base, instinctive drives of mere copulation and survival. We have, for a long time now, entered the world of aesthetics and are now entering a vast, vast world of science, information, and technology. If you can't see why that IS important, regardless of the transient worries of the modern world, then woe is you buddy. I hate to think that if Earth was run by people who felt the way you did, we would still be wielding swords and shooting arrows at each other, all in some vain hope that what we can get now is more vital to our species than what we can create for the future. Our species' lack of foresight has been an obstacle in the way of our learning for far too long.

Sorry for the rant.

18. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

IIRC, You're the guy that didn't know how tampons worked, and now you are trying to act like a tough guy by calling other people out.

As for this topic, it's very interesting. This Higgs Boson particle has the potential of telling us many things about the universe. It's gonna be interesting to follow what happens with this.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dude, no offense but you're the one who ran away after print screening and posting your browser and leaving your p*rn site tab up. :grin:

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect there were some back in the 1930's saying "Why are scientists wasting their time with this nuclear fission stuff when there's a depression going on."

1 person likes this.