1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hatred from the left for Pat Tillman and the U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bamaslammer, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Member

Glynch, I have found your brethern that share your hatred for all things American! It is nuts like these that are the audience that frothed for the likes of nutcase Howard Dean and bow everyday to their altar to the great Leftist trinity of Ralph Nader, Karl Marx and Lenin.

link
    This is more about Tillman, a selfless hero, from the Indymedia nutcase site. The article is slightly less horrific, but the effect is still the same. The piece reads as if it were written in an insane asylum (very likely with the nutcase hard-left). This site is proof that we have enemies both foreign and domestic in the war on terror:

link
    And you people wonder why I consider liberalism a sin? This is your mainstream in the left, especially you if listened to the likes of Howard Dean, Charles Rangel, former Georgia representative (and resident space cadet) Cynthia McKinney.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

If this is the "mainstream" on the left, then David Duke must be the "mainstream" on the right.

Fact is, this is the face of the fundimentalist left, as David Duke and Pat Robertson are the face of the fundimentalist right.

Fundimentalism is dangerous, no matter what the ideology (or religion for that matter) is.

See: Bin Laden, Osama

3. Chump

Chump Member

if you believe that this is the mainstream left's viewpoint, you are "blind as Helen Keller and have the IQ of a salad bar"

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

bama, you're getting more outrageous everyday. it's sad.

5. Cohen

Cohen Member

Someone just wanted to provide glynch with a more enticing website.. ;)

6. No Worries

No Worries Member

if you believe that this is the mainstream left's viewpoint, you are "blind as Helen Keller and have the IQ of a salad bar"

That is an insult to salad bars everywhere ;)

7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Member

This is the original story from the site, with a Washington Post story with a demeaning headline. Read the comments below and you will see the depravity of the liberal mind. Pat Tillman died defending their rights and lives and this is the thanks he gets? People wonder why the left in this country make me so damned angry. So RMT, you're rejecting these folks as loons just as I reject David Duke and Pat Robertson as the same? But the problem is that this rage you see in these posts is the same that motivates your movement. It was exemplified in Dean's angry campaign. Bush hatred has driven you people crazier than a loon. Open your eyes folks.

l

8. glynch

glynch Member

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Clicked the Washington Post link you provided, bama, and this is what I got...

Ex-NFL Player Tillman Killed in Combat
    Army Ranger Turned Down Millions to Serve His Country in Afghanistan

By Mike Wise and Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Saturday, April 24, 2004; Page A01

Pat Tillman, the Arizona Cardinals safety who forfeited a multimillion dollar contract and the celebrity of the National Football League to become a U.S. Army Ranger, was killed in Afghanistan during a firefight near the Pakistan border on Thursday, U.S. officials said yesterday.

Tillman, 27, was killed when the combat patrol unit he was serving in was ambushed by militia forces near the village of Spera, about 90 miles south of Kabul, the Afghan capital. Tillman was hit when his unit returned fire, according to officials at the Pentagon. He was medically evacuated from the scene and pronounced dead by U.S. officials at approximately 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Two other U.S. soldiers were injured and one Afghan solider fighting alongside the U.S. troops was killed.

The death of Tillman, the first prominent U.S. athlete to be killed in combat since Vietnam, cast a spotlight on a war that has receded in the American public consciousness. As Iraq has come into the foreground with daily casualty updates, the military campaign in Afghanistan has not garnered the same attention, though there are still more than 10,000 U.S. troops in the country and fighting continues against remnants of the Taliban and al Qaeda.

Tillman was the 70th U.S. soldier to die within Afghanistan's borders since U.S. forces invaded the country in October 2001. According to the Department of Defense, 117 U.S. soldiers have died worldwide in Operation Enduring Freedom. Tillman was assigned to Company A of the 2nd Battallion, 75th Ranger Regiment, based at Fort Lewis, Wash., an elite Army light-infantry unit often used for difficult assault missions around the world.

The Rangers have been central to efforts in southeast Afghanistan, where Operation Mountain Storm has been aggressively targeting Taliban and al Qaeda fighters. The mountainous region along the Pakistan border is where U.S. officials believe Osama bin Laden, the al Qaeda leader, and his close associates could be hiding.

In recent days, hundreds of Afghan and U.S. soldiers have been engaged in a new hunt for bin Laden, scouring the area near Spera.

Military and defense officials said yesterday that Tillman was killed during an ambush near Spera on Thursday night, as unidentified enemy fighters fired on his vehicle. A senior military official, speaking on condition of anonymity because Tillman's death had not yet been officially announced, said the soldiers exchanged small arms fire about 25 miles southwest of a coalition military base in Khost. Tillman was injured and died, officials said. "In sports, we have a tendency to overuse terms like courage, bravery and heroes," Mike Bidwill, the vice president and general counsel of the Cardinals, said yesterday. "Then someone special like Pat Tillman comes along and reminds us what those terms really mean."

Tillman stunned his family, coaches and teammates in 2002 when he walked away from a three-year contract worth $3.6 million. At the time, the move was viewed as a strong example of post-9/11 patriotism. After four seasons with the Cardinals, the aggressive safety -- whose 224 tackles in a single season was a team record -- simply told the organization that he was joining the Army with his brother, Kevin, a former minor league prospect in the Cleveland Indians system. By May 2002, they had both enlisted.

Part of the decision was timing. The Rangers do not accept recruits over the age of 28. Tillman was 25 at the time.

"The people who knew Pat, the less surprised you were," Pete Kendall, his Cardinals teammate, said yesterday during a news conference at the team's practice facility in Arizona. "For someone to walk away from several million dollars and a life of relative ease to put his neck on the line literally for $18,000 to $20,000 with no guarantee for tomorrow, you had to be surprised by that. Pat is the only one I know in our modern day of athletics who did it. This was sort of out of the blue and totally unexpected nationally. But the more you knew Pat, the more you understand why."

On Sept. 11, 2001, Tillman walked into the media room at the Cardinals' training facility and sat with reporters watching the coverage of the terror attacks, transfixed by the events of the day. In his last on-camera interview, the next day, Tillman alluded to his deep patriotism and seemed to be setting the stage for his enlistment.

"My great grandfather was at Pearl Harbor and a lot of my family has gone and fought in wars and I really haven't done a damn thing as far as laying myself on the line like that," he said. "And so I have a great deal of respect for those that have and what the flag stands for."

He made the decision that offseason after returning from a Bora Bora honeymoon with his wife, Marie. During a trip home last year after a mission in Iraq with the Rangers, he surprised his Cardinals teammates with a visit and inconspicuously slid out a side door so as not to draw attention to himself. Having already seen combat, he return undaunted to the Middle East earlier this month.

"When he came back from Baghdad after this thing ended, he called me and said he was on leave," Frank Bauer, Tillman's agent, said in a telephone interview. "I told him a lot of clubs were calling about him. He said he knew he could probably put his papers in to get out because he'd been in combat but he said, 'I made a commitment for three years and I'll fulfill it.' "

Tillman and his brother refused publicity after making the decision to enlist. They felt it would detract from the families and stories of other soldiers serving overseas, and were so adamant that they admonished immediate family members not to speak with the media. His brother, Spc. Kevin Tillman, joined the same Rangers battalion as Pat. The Tillman brothers deployed several times with the batallion and took part in combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Among other awards, Pat Tillman earned the Purple Heart, according to the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

The tree-lined street in San Jose, where Tillman grew up, was lined with American flags yesterday. An officer from the Santa Clara County's sheriff's department parked in the driveway of the Tillman family home and politely turned away reporters while friends stopped by to deliver flowers and offer condolences.

"The family believes that everyone who has given their lives in the war deserves equal recognition for their sacrifice," Robert Setterlund, the assistant principal at San Jose's Leland High School said. "They don't want one person singled out."

The White House released a statement calling Tillman "an inspiration both on and off the football field." Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) described himself as "heartbroken" over Tillman's death in a prepared statement. He added, "The tragic loss of this extraordinary young man will seem a heavy blow to our nation's morale, as it is surely a grievous injury to his loved ones."

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said: "Pat Tillman personified all the best values of his country and the NFL. He was an achiever and a leader on many levels who always put his team, his community and his country ahead of his personal interests."

The Tillmans followed other professional athletes into wartime service, including baseball Hall of Famers Willie Mays and the late Ted Williams and Hank Greenberg, and Rocky Bleier, the former Pittsburgh Steelers running back who was wounded in Vietnam. More than 600 NFL players served during World War II; 19 were killed.

On July 21, 1970, James Robert Kalsu, an offensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills and a former Oklahoma all-American, became the only U.S. professional athlete to die in combat in Vietnam.

Kendall and other teammates and friends of Tillman recounted stories of the rambunctious safety, who during his rookie year dropped a fullback weighing 50 pounds more during a routine drill. His tale of perseverance seemed borrowed from a Frank Capra script.

Bruce Snyder, Tillman's coach at Arizona State, told Tillman while recruiting him out of Leland High School in San Jose that he wanted to redshirt the walk-on linebacker his first season.

"You can do whatever you want with me," Tillman said. "But in four years, I'm gone. I've got things to do with my life." Tillman was not redshirted and would become the Pacific-10 Conference's defensive player of the year his senior season. He carried a 3.84 grade-point average through college, graduating with high honors in 31/2 academic years with a degree in marketing.

A long shot to make an NFL roster when the Cardinals plucked him in the seventh round of the 1998 draft, Tillman made himself into a 5-foot-11, 200-pound hellion. He competed in a 70.2-mile triathlon to ready himself for his last NFL training camp.

He became such a ballhawk and was so revered for his intensity the next several years, the St. Louis Rams offered Tillman $9 million over five years in 2001.

Tillman married his high school sweetheart, remained spare and fussy with his money even after he began making hundreds of thousands in the NFL and never thought twice about joining the military.

At the Cardinals' somber practice facility yesterday, his No. 40 jersey rested on one table, aligned in a black frame, along with a Cardinals helmet, and a glass vase with flowers, with a small American flag protruding. On another table, fans could write messages for the Tillman family on a broad swath of white paper. "I watched you ride your bike to practice," one read. "My thoughts were, what a humble guy. Prayers from across the street."

"I really had looked forward to buying him another beer somewhere down the road," his teammate Kendall said.

Staff writers Leonard Shapiro in Washington, Mark Maske in New York, Steve Fainaru in San Jose, and special correspondent Jack Magruder in Phoenix contributed to this report.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A36390-2004Apr23?language=printer

What the hell are you smokin', dude??

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Again, do you really want to get into a contest of posting comments from political sites when there are people out there right now defending some loser from Boston who said we need to kill all Muslims?

Pat Tillman was cool. Here's a comparison with W...

THE COLLEGE YEARS

George W. Bush: Used family influence to gain admittance to America's finest Ivy League institutions. By self-admission, was a diffident, unaspiring student who occupied a space that may well have been better used by a more deserving student with lesser family clout.

Pat Tillman: Through personal dedication and athletic ability, was awarded a football scholarship at Arizona State University. As a Senior, playing as an undersized linebacker, was named Pac - 10 Defensive Player of the Year. Graduated in 3 1/2 years (a remarkable achievement under any circumstances, but particularly difficult under the time constraints imposed by an evey fall semester being consumed by football) suma c*m laude with a 3.8 grade point in Marketing.

WORK CAREER

George W. Bush: Established a track record comprised primarily of underperforming in various entrepeneurial efforts and avoiding Securities and Exchange Commission investigations that would bring a lesser man - specifically one not related by blood to the sitting president - to his knees. Managed to win election as Governor; most notable achievements in this role were gaining league-leader status in the field of state executions and brokering a baseball team sale that parlayed a relative small personal investment into a return of millions of dollars (and not a single cattle future purchase or sale was involved). Alleged achievement of the "Texas Miracle" in education reform turns out to be a house of cards who's inevitable collapse conjures the frequent use of the word "scandal".

Pat Tillman: Drafted by Arizona Cardinals, overcomes physical limitations to become one of the more respected safeties in the National Football League. Turns down a huge salary offer by likely Super Bowl candidate St. Louis Rams to stay - at half the salary - with the woeful Cardinals out of a sense of loyalty and a desire to be part of the new powerhouse that might be build in Arizona. At the end of his first contract in the fourth year of his pro career, turns down 3.6 Millon Dollars per Year and leaves football.

MILITARY CAREER

George W. Bush: Uses family influence to move to the front of the line in front of hoards of senior candidates. Despite bare minimum test scores, is accepted to flight program to be trained to become a fighter pilot. After tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayers money is expended in flight training, removes self from flight status by transfer, refuses a flight physical that would maintain that status when back with the Texas Air National Guard (an almost unheard-of occurance amongst fighter jocks) and receives a requested discharge early in order to return to college, leaving a position that otherwise could easily have been filled by a more enthusiastic pilot candidate with lesser family connections.

Pat Tillman : Profoundly affected by 9/11, feels a tremendous responsibility to give back something to his country as have his great grandfather and other family members. Walks away from a contract renewal at the end of his fourth NFL season to join the Army with his younger brother, in the bargain giving up $3.6 million a year and the glamour of the NFL lifestyle for the daily rigors, at $18 thousand a year, of the military. Successfully completes the challenges of Ranger training to become an Army Ranger of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Serves in Iraq; is killed in action in Afghanistan.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Why do you guys bother responding to bamaslammer anymore? :confused:

It's hard to argue with a pure literary device, in this case "irony"

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sam, we share a couple of common interests, believe it or not. Smaller carriers for the Navy (which we disagree on), some other, similar topics, and he actually has pretty good tastes in music.

I see posts like bama's here, in this case, as almost an act of desperation, trying to reach for some way to slam Democrats and liberals. He shouldn't get so desperate... not until Bush manages to spend most of his vast campaign warchest in the next several weeks. Then he should get desperate. Of course, I'm sure the RNC is busy trying to raise more. We'll see how successful they are.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

And, yet again, bama has been proven wrong, this time by Deckard.

Too bad bama couldn't check himself before wrecking himself by actually visiting the Washington Post website.

Open your eyes, bama. Your bloodlust has turned you into a conspiracy-theory wagging ubershill.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Don't worry Bama...Kerry absolutely won't win and neither will arse-clowns who make stupid remarks that will vote for him...I especially want more of Edward Kennedy next to him while making angry, spit-spouting, finger waving comments about whatever...Throw in his gang, with Senator Shumer, and Feinstein telling Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in and the such...I hope the continuance will show it's ugly head, regarding Kerry rubbing his elbows and the like on neo-dems such as Kennedy and the gang...That is exactly what the swaying voters want...that, along with this spew that seems so similar from the aforementioned gang associating with Kerry will help us win!...

15. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Member

I know that headline that Indymedia stuck on the Washington Post story was not of the Washington Post. So other than that, how did I "get served?" I think the bit on Tillman by the looney left folks shows more of the desperation and hatred on the left-hand side of the dial more than the right. I don't hate LIBERALS (the people), but I hate the ideology of LIBERALISM. I know that the liberals despise Bush more than any president in history, almost as much as the Right did Clinton. But there is a key difference and the fact is the right didn't have to make up the innumerable Clinton scandals. He took care of that all by himself. Bush on the other hand, has effectively parried most of the mud tossed his way by the haters, because it is not grounded in the truth. I don't like the man any more than you guys do, but if for the war on terror, I'd vote libertarian in a minute, as I have done in the past. I can't afford that my vote, by virtue of going to a third-party candidate, no matter what his merits, could go towards helping a lying, dishonorable, sleazebag in John F'@#$ing Kerry president.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

LOL, he posts about "hatred" from the left and then he ends with something like this:

"lying, dishonorable, sleazebag in John F'@#$ing Kerry president."

Classic.

Make sure your catapult is parked securely within your greenhouse before firing.

17. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Member

Well, he's the one who used the F-word in a interview for chrissakes. He's the one who has only a fleeting interest in telling the truth. Kerry can't even tell the truth about simple things like whose medals he threw or whether he bothered to verify the lies fed to him by the anti-war radicals before his testimony to Congress in which he accused the U.S. military of being a bunch of baby-killing butchers. John Kerry is a blight on America and a sad commentary that says "in the election for the nation's highest office, this is the best that one of the major parties can do?" I think he is totally unsuitable for the nation's highest office.

link

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

And Bush can't tell even tell the truth about an important thing like WMD in Iraq. Bush claimed that he had report from the IAEA that Iraq was within 6 months of a nuclear weapon. Bush told Polish national television that we had already found WMD in Iraq.

I don't know which is worse saying that medals and ribbons are the same thing, or lying about reasons and rationale for starting a war.

19. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Member

He did not lie. He acted on the best information available. I guess I'm a little tired of this constant catterwalling about "Bush Lied" because it did not happen.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

In other news, Santa will be sliding down everyone's chimney in December, and Jessica Simpson will be remembered by music historians for more than just her breasts.