1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Hate Religion, Love Jesus' Video Goes Viral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SacTown, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

pretty convinced about half of you would throw my ass to the lions if given the chance :grin:

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Yes, because disagreeing with your theology means we want you dead. C'mon man... we aren't religious! ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm sure that's what Jesus would do.

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

I love it when atheists talk about Jesus without knowing anything about Jesus. You guys have it all figured out, lol.

5. DonnyMost

You're right, Jesus did endorse the Old Testament, so, he'd probably put a whoopin' on that trick azz busta.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The Judaism in Jesus' lifetime wasn't Rabbinical Judaism. Shortly after his time came the rebellion against Rome and the destruction of the Second Temple, causing the birth of Judaism-as-we-know it, which replaced the rites of the animal sacrifices of the Temple.

Also, Jesus did follow strict Halacha (Jewish law) but considered the religious authorities of this day (as well as the practice of many for adopting tenets of Roman paganism) to be the heretics. Saving a person's life, for example, trumps any other law, but differences in opinion on the Jewish law still happen today, often with very passionate fights that are incredibly divisive.

Jesus' early followers, even after his death continued to practice what can be reasonably considered Judaism. It was after Saul of Tarsus (St. Paul) came into the picture that the doctrine began to break from Judaism and become Christianity.

That's pretty much the point of this new book, which seems to be ruffling a lot of feathers and looks pretty interesting as well.

Most rabbinical scholars I know stay away from Jesus as it's still very taboo within Judaism, especially since there's the whole deicide charge collectively waged on Jewish people as a whole and the main traditional basis for anti-Semitic persecution. But that's changing as Christian/Jewish relations have obviously improved and I had one lecturer in grad school teach a seminar about Jesus from an Orthodox Jewish perspective that was fascinating.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Say what you want, but Jesus did NOT create a religion. His disciples did after he died.

When people say that they believe in God but not religion, they are talking about Faith vs Institutions. Your interpretation of the definitions is fine...your view is completely valid that you cannot remove faith from religion--Catholics definitely agree with that. However, the poet is using another definition of religion ... and in my opinion, an accurate one if we base it on the life of Jesus.

DonnyMost, there's no reason to say the poet is wrong and you are right. You both are right.

#47 heypartner, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Been there done that pal.

I found that when I call the bluff of people like you and give you your shot nothing ever happens except I gain a stalker.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got nothing against the message of the video but am not a fan artistically. It strikes me as formulaic and overproduced sort of the same way that a lot of Christian rock is.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

As a Christian for 25 years, I do know what "Jesus" is all about. Can you explain what I might be missing? Can you demonstrate how you know He was divine? Can you provide any empirical evidence to suggest there is a personal god - and that this personal god is the one that you believe in as opposed to one that others believe in? Please enlighten me...

1 person likes this.
  11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Okay, I tried. After 17 F-BOMBS before the thing was 1/3rd through I gave up. He's going to have to find bigger and better words to keep my attention.

You can tell that guy studied under Keith Olbermann.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not convinced the man ever existed.

13. DonnyMost

I think we've had about a dozen or so Jesuses already. Probably more to come.

14. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

15. Nook

Nook Member

Just go away..

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If he wears glasses, I think he would choose those.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

No I can't. I never said I knew anything about Jesus, but you guys don't either. That's what's laughable. And for 25 years you were taught whatever your church and your parents taught you which may or may not have been accurate about Jesus. You don't know that.

It's really better to say "I don't know" when it comes to religion or Jesus - you really look like an ass when you act like you know anything about what really happened 2000 years ago. DonnyMost has it all figured out though. lmao.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

lol. You guys have more FAITH that Jesus didn't exist than those who do believe he did exist. And none of you have any clue for sure.

19. Nook

Nook Member

When did I say he didn't exist?

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Being an atheist doesn't insinuate that I "know" there's no god. It means I don't believe in God. I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in god, but I don't believe it's knowable in a similar manner to saying that I don't believe in ghosts, demons, bigfoot and so forth while recognizing that I can't claim the non-existence of such things with certainty.

So you're right... I don't know about Jesus. I have dedicated a lot of time and energy to study the topic as well as I can and that's the best I can do. Is there a problem with this stance?