1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 25, 2014.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

he has brandon wright potential

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ehh i think he's too much on the white side. i prefer the honey cut, but i'll always go with the brewer. thats just me though.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Playing with a poor excuse of a big man like Bosh has been lately he will get most of the boards on the team. Bosh has essentially turned into a SF.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Didn't Dwight just destroy him in the post?

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

played pretty good in garbage time

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I just can't look, it's killing me.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL why? I Liked him as a potential backup - but that is all he is, and will ever be....

DD

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he might be the Gerald Green of Centers...

Around 25-26-27 he starts to figure it out, and becomes a decent, yet erratic, bench player.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

There is still something (off) about the way he plays.

I'm not sure If it is his demeanor, attitude or just his general coordination/lack of fundamentals that makes me want to hurl...

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Pat the stats with flashy dunks/blocks with a mediocre team then get a nice contract then fizzle out into obscurity.

Stromile Swift 2.0

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nah, at least Stro gave us thisssss...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FfN0gF6MIRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You gotta look on the Whiteside, we destroyed the Heat the other night.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Despite a couple dunks on the Rockets 3rd stringers in garbage time the other night, I still firmly believe this.

The Rockets made the right call picking 2Pat over him, and they have bigger priorities now than trying to figure out the case of Hassan Whiteside.

Good for the Heat if he emerges into the next KG (comparison folks like DD made back when he was a prospect in the draft). They have the type of team that can afford to waste roster spots on players that look like they should be NBA talents but can hardly crack the rotation of the Shangai Sharks.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What? I don't recall making that comparison at all....let's not just throw stuff around willy nilly, that is my job.

DD

15. dobro1229

The comparison from at least a physical standpoint was made. Lots of uproar on the GARM that month for Morey not taking him over 2Pat, and I do recall you leading the charge pretty strongly.

TBH there was a case to be made at the time for Morey to "swing for the fences" which I get. Morey himself even took a couple swings at the fence with prospects, but in those cases he was often PAID draft picks (Thabeet) to take on those raw large humans with what some folks would call "natural abilities".

But what I find hilarious is that some folks (not you) just can't seem to shake the illusion of "this guy is tall and long... damn you Morey for not drafting him and turning him into Anthony Davis".

All I'm saying is the guy was cut from the Vipers for a reason. The Rockets have bigger fish to fry, and they have a much more talented project in the Valley right now without the headcase to go along with the "potential".

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

You got me for sure. I was on the Whiteside bandwagon for sure. I never thought he would be Anthony Davis great, but I had misgivings about him potentially maybe being a 15/9 guy, as ridiculous as that seems in hindsight.

17. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that I am a big Whiteside fan, it's just that he's better as the 12th man off the bench than Joey Dorsey. I would rather have him as our 3rd string 5 over Joey any day.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, because the D league is a horrible place for bigs, it is a guard driven league where no defense is played, and it is like high end YMCA basketball - it is good to get a run and a sweat but little else.

DMo dominated down there, so did PPat, Brooks, even Dorsey was good there.

DD

19. basketballholic

All I'm saying is if we had signed Whiteside in July instead of Dorsey, we'd be none the worse for wear on-court and we for sure would have an easier time trading Whiteside's contract then we would Dorsey's.

(And I'm pretty sure Whiteside is superior to Dorsey as a player and was then.)

Anybody that thinks the Rocks or Vipers cannot make personnel mistakes/blunders when they evaluate players isn't living in the real world.

20. dobro1229

The "D-League is a horrible place for big", but 3 of the 4 players you listed are bigs who did well there (2 of which are very good NBA players), you forgot to mention Carl Landry & Jones, and Clint Capela who is showing very well down there currently.

The fact is the D-League really isn't great basketball regardless of it being "guard driven" because its like high school tryouts. Folks are trying to showcase their talents in order to get called up to the big leagues to make money and live out their dreams. That formula is always going to generate less than ideal team play. It doesn't mean that bigs can't show their value to an NBA team or develop actual big man skills like boxing out, rebounding, defensive rotations, etc.

It seems to be that the Rockets and RGV seem to find ways to put their young bigs in situations where they can still grow down there as is shown through all of their success stories. Besides Thabeet, and Whiteside, nearly all of the Rockets/Vipers bigs have found a way to get better at something while they are down there.

I feel totally confident that if the Rockets and RGV couldn't get anything out of Whiteside in his first 3 years around the league than its on Hassan and not Morey & the coaches here and down there. This kid has shot himself in the foot more than anyone else. It all started when he chose Marshall over bigger programs like Kentucky and Miss State because they gave him the ability to start and pat his stats instead of earn minutes by becoming a better basketball player.