1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willieg52, Jul 6, 2013.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he's become a fantasy stud that larry sanders prevented me from picking him up

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Did I miss something? Is it June? Is there nothing more relevant to talk about? Mind you, this is the GARM. Bumping this ancient thread pertaining to a non-Rocket reeks of you fishing for a "gotcha" moment about something most of us here shouldn't even care about in the first place.

Does he play for us? No. Are we going to trade for him? No.

I think we're settling the bar a little low here if a quarter of a season of decent basketball guarantees a long future in this league, as you seem to suggest. Maybe you're right; maybe you're wrong. Either way, all signs in the universe pointed to this kid being utterly hopeless. His emergence this year is a shock to EVERYONE, and not exactly what you would call a conventional path to establishing yourself in this league.

But he's gotta sustain this level of play; a quarter of a season is a blink of an eye. And he has to do it after he gets paid too. With his reputation, I'd be wary about committing major salary in any long-term contract he'll get offered. We've all seen too many McGee, Eddy Curry and Jerome James types over the years.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Whitesanity!!!

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Picked him up in both of my leagues after his first few games, glad he continues to be a beast. Hassanity

5. bobbysikora

bobbysikora Member

Hassan Whiteside right now is +2.60 in real plus/minus, that's 51st in the entire league and 8th among all centers. Also he is 24th in the league in defensive real plus/minus and 10th in that category among all centers, even ahead of Dwight Howard.

6. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Hassanity has a nicer ring to it :)

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if talking about Whiteside isn't relevant to you then there are plenty of other threads to go perusing through. AmIWrong?
    This is the GARM and Whiteside is a player formerly affiliated with the Rockets and this thread was created in the GARM while he was affiliated with the Rockets.
    PS. You might want to go back to the first page, read carefully and figure out who started the thread. I never had a say in predicting how Whiteside would turn out so not sure where you deduced a "gotcha" moment. As mentioned previously, the thread was bumped to make light of the "respected" posters thoughts on Whiteside but he chose to take it the wrong way and dig his heels in. Oh well.

Was he affiliated with the organization? Yes.
    Are you privy to everyone Morey considers trading for? No.

Jeez louise. Comprehension isn't that difficult. No need to start reaching with assumptions when I wrote it out clearly. I didn't say anywhere that a quarter season of decent basketball guarantees a long future in this league nor did I "seem to suggest" that. My words
    All that's being said is that he can actually play in this league and belongs in the league.

Anyway you are absolutely right that he has to sustain the level of play or something close to that, and do so after getting paid. The names you mentioned are definitely ones to make a team wary. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the season and if the Heat, some other team (even the Rox) deem him worthy of bringing in on a richer contract.

In conclusion, good for the kid but there's still the rest of the season to go and we'll see how he does and what offers he gets at the end of it.

8. baller4life315

This conversation is barely worth responding to at this point, but I'll partake one last time.

Your statement "he can play and belongs in the league" implies here's to stay, no? Dude hasn't even played 20 games of meaningful quality basketball yet here you are proclaiming his big arrival and glorious vindication. This would be why your words are so easy to misinterpret. You're touting his accomplishments during this short time span and declaring how he "belongs" in this league yet you're seemingly scoffing at the notion of me questioning the longevity or sustainability of his current level of play.

You're saying "oh wow, he can really play" and I'm basically saying "small sample size, talk to me later". There's a fundamental disconnect here that should make sense to most people. You're all hung up on dressing this up as some big missed opportunity on our end, while I'm simply looking at this from a rational standpoint.

Again, 99% of the NBA community completely dismissed Whiteside, and justifiably so. If you're one of those clowns that thinks we messed up by drafting Patterson over him, you're wrong. And I refuse to fault a GM that has: A) consistently found under-the-radar quality talent -and- B) signed Dwight freaking Howard, at fault for not acquiring Whiteside to be his backup. I don't care how good he ends up being.

Now, if these past 19 games or so are not an anomaly and this kid really is here to stay...great. As a basketball fan, it's always good to see new faces and hear a good rags-to-riches story. I'm all for it. But I have to see more than just a string of few games. Earl Clark did something similar in recent history and he's completely out of the league now. Time will tell.

9. ferrari77

Jeez almighty. So let me make this clear to you one last time and if I need to put it in all caps and add more spaces so you comprehend clearly, please do not hesitate to let me know.

1. I don't frequent the GARM as Idgaf really for the stupid arguments some like you apparently have on here. NOWHERE on here did I make a case as to the Rockets keeping Whiteside or not drafting or signing this or that player. I.D.G.A.F. I don't care about Patterson or whomever else so not sure what the point of your 3rd paragraph was.

2. You definitely seem to have a problem with understanding what people say and going ahead to infer what need not be inferred.
    My statement - "he can play and belongs in the league" does not imply in any way shape or form that Whiteside is here to stay but rather that HE CAN PLAY AND BELONGS IN THE LEAGUE. There are plenty of other NBA players that have shown they can play and belong in the league but they are now playing overseas for various reasons. So to help you understand one more time, listen(or read) closely- I wrote that Whiteside can play and has shown/is showing he belongs in the league because from the majority of posts earlier in the thread, the position was taken that Whiteside might have talent but is not an NBA player for various reasons(lack of smarts, putting together his ability, etc.) So by virtue of what I and most people(other than you I guess) have seen over the last month or so, it isn't exactly heresy to state that Whiteside can play and belongs in the league. Whether he stays in the league is not up to you, me, or anyone else that isn't a coach or GM for a team in the NBA.

If you need me to repeat, retype and repost that for you please let me know and I'll be glad to do so.

Back to the first paragraph. Did you read my previous posts while you were inebriated or high???
    Nowhere did I proclaim or in anyway imply a "glorious arrival or vindication". You know why? Perhaps because I NEVER COMMENTED IN THE WHITESIDE THREADS PRIOR TO THIS WEEK so why the heck would I be claiming vindication? Do you even know what that word actually means or you just didn't read before responding?? If reading before responding to a post is a problem then please don't bother responding to my posts after this.
    Also, where in the good name of Cazzie Russell did I "scoff at the notion of you questioning Whiteside's longevity or sustainability of his current level of play?
    Once again sir, I will ask you, did you actually read before responding?

Christ in Heaven!

I'll finish by addressing your second paragraph.
    Sir, the fundamental disconnect seems to be all on your part and coming from your head.
    Please show me where I've STATED or even IMPLIED that this was " some big missed opportunity on our end"??? Please let me know. I'll be waiting.
    You seem to have me confused with some others on here who've brought up the names of other players they would have preferred the Rockets to release or not sign or draft. I have done no such thing sir so please get your facts correct or don't bother responding.

Have a lovely day.

10. baller4life315

I'll summarize the above lunacy in one statement: I can see why you and jopat get along. Good day, sir :)

11. ferrari77

Lolz. Don't really know who "jopat" is since I've never had a discussion with said poster but good to see the poster above still can't comprehend sentences with multiple words and prefers to just make idiotic presumptions and thoughts and bring them out as facts.

Cheers chief. :)

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You two brehs need to stop this nonsense argument, it's clear this won't lead to anything. Messes the thread up.

13. ferrari77

My bad breh.
    I agreed with some of what the other person was saying but he didn't seem to understand that. It's what it is.

Guess we move on and wait and see how Whiteside does the rest of the season.

Let's go Rockets.

14. alethios

alethios Member

I'm curious how is it this thread has not been moved to NBA Dish. I don't think he's part of any trade rumors concerning the Rockets and it's been a while since he played in the DLeague.