1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hasheem's first personal trainer talks about his lack in work-ethic department

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jan 11, 2012.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Fess Irvin is the personal trainer for quite a bunch of NBA players. Mozgov's agent paid for his travel to Russia when he was working with some talented children for couple of weeks. He had an interview with the biggest sports website in Russia and I'm pretty close with their basketball editor. I wanted to translate the part of this interview, but he sent me an original

Irvin was the first NBA caliber trainer to work with Hasheem and he made an interesting statement about him

------

--------

Then he was talking about difference in work-ethic between european players and guys from US and he actually made a point: Timofey is working hard, bla bla bla, he is willing to learn, he's concentrated on self-development....

The link to the whole interview

His webpage: http://www.fessirvinbasketball.com/

1 person likes this.
  2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Trading for Hasheem was a mistake

Like this guy said, he is just not there in terms of development, he doesn't want to get any better

I remember how you guys where asking about his lateral quickness and made the commitment that he was extremely quick for his size in College but he is in horrible shape right now. Here is the answer, from the guy who made him look that quick

Here is the answer for his lack of work ethic. He is just more intersted in parties, money, girls and not his game

Irvin also said that the death of Thabeet's father really bothered him and his maturity

The full package of NBA bust: Lack of talent, Lack of passion, Lack of maturity, Lack of work-ethic

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

great insights

thanks for the translation

I doubt that he doesn't want to get better, I think its more of a mental misstep than the unwillingness to do it

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, US ballers sure are awesome for having such poor work ethic.

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I don't know why we get hyped up about someone that didn't pan out at another team. There isn't magic dust in houston that gives players more work ethic or skill. We have three down I think. Hasheem, TWill, and Hill.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the title is a reach.

He never said, at least from your translation, that he lacked a work ethic. He is saying Hasheem simply wasn't working enough because he was involved with all the extra stuff. Its not fair to say he lacked the drive.. Most kids his age would go party also if it's coming at him left and right.

Sounds like he wasn't really challenged to get better early on. He probably got by well enough on height alone. I'm assuming this trainer doesn't know what hasheem has been doing since, but a lack of work early may have kept Hasheem from progressing faster or more early on.

The feeling i got is that he's more of a victim here. Even more reason to give him another chance.

7. ross84

Sorry, but what you are saying makes no sense. Everyone on this planet wants to improve or get better in what they do. It is if he/she is willing to but in the time and effort.

So yes, he does want to get better but isn't willing to work for it.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Paging DD for Hasheem Thabust backing up....

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And i don't know anything about this trainer, but 20 minutes a day? Really? Why was he only suggesting 20 minutes of work a day?

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Its all over.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well that sort of crushes my hopes for him...thanks !

;)

DD

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can watch Thabust on the bench and see that not playing doesn't bother him. He's content with his rookie money and doesn't have any drive or determination to get better.

His goal was to reach the NBA. Mission accomplished.

Now it's time to send this dead horse to the glue factory.

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

No, you didn't make a point. Every coach will tell you one thing for sure: european players that came to this league are working their tails off in practice, because almost all of them are lacking athleticism (or strength) and they need to hustle a lot to stay in this league for a while because of that. Just look at Scola. They need to work as hard as the can to develop their defense, too.

Milicic was drafted high because of that too. Dumars thought that he could be the same, the guy that is living in the gym day'n'night, just like others do. But he's lazy as hell.

That's why Donuts felt on draft to the early twenties of the first round despite being a top-5 player in his draft in terms of talent. There were a lot of concernes about his work-ethic. Scouts thought that he could be another Darko in that department

US players are not the same in terms of character, personality

Irvin used a DeShawn as a comparision. He said that he's a hard-worker, a very good teammate, he's really good in every department of practice, but he's immature. He went to this league from HS, got a million bucks or a couple.... and here we go again. Fess said that is not an unsual part of the NBA

14. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Flynn and Hill have good work ethic according to McHale and their teammates.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

What I meant is that he is willing to get better and is willing to work hard...but, something is not right in his mind and he might not be the smartest guy on the floor..

You have to have the smarts to do some things and some people just lack that part..I think its something brain related...

He probably works as hard as anyone else, but when it comes to getting everything together, he seems to not connect things.

Hill has the same problem...

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Faked every NBA scout out there. Everyone had him pegged as a hard worker.

You can tell that he has changed from his UCONN days.

He better save his money, because he might not get another shot.

17. ross84

You know, as wrong as that statement sounds, I agree with you. I actually had the feeling the Hill has ADHD.

18. ross84

Before Dalembert, we had no choice but to rub his belly.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Thabeet is jus doin a Todd Marinovich... he got a fat contract, he'll play it through and then go away to live a life with more money than he'll ever need. Yet another example of why guaranteed contracts dont work...

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

when talking about work ethic, we have to know the reference point. yes, those guys work as hard as other good players do. but it is not enough. thabeet has nothing related to bball except his height. at this stage, he has to work extra million miles to catch up. working as hard as other good players is not going to make him a good player. yao is a typical example to those who is not born to play bball. except the height, yao doesn't have anything that can be associated with bball. he started his training when he was 8 or 9 years old. somewhere i read, his parent treated him like a bball slave. besides eating, studing, and sleeping, he spent all his time on court.

does anyone know who is the one spending the most time in the houston training facility among all rox players during yao's NBA career?

unfortunately, it's too late for thabeet to catch up. we can't wait until he turns 50.