1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hasheem Thabeet putting in work for the Trailblazers.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Z-Ro&Trae, Mar 21, 2012.

1. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Thabeet getting rim checked and Flynn missing a layup.. what a waste of picks :/

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

NEWSFLASH: Nobody wants Kevin Martin.

1 person likes this.
  3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

If only Morey dared to tank. They would still be on the team right now :)

4. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Good lord. That rim is one tough defender.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is the Thabust we all know and love.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not at the price of a top 3 pick, at least. Teams that have top 3 picks are bad. They want young, cheap, high ceiling guys, not a vet.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Portland HAS BEEN a borderline playoff team for years.

They last made it past the 1st round of the playoffs in 2000.

Compared to us, that is a LONG time ago.

We're in year 1 of 'post Yao era', and we have:

* max cap space this off-season (that's what rebuilding teams have available)

* potentially $28 million in expiring deals, of which $7million is unguaranteed (teams looking to 'blow it up' themselves will often move their superstar for expirings + picks - how much better if they get money they don't even need to pay??)

* multiple first round draft picks (1-3 in the coming draft - at this stage seems almost certain to be 2; but even if it is only 1, it still means we have many future first round picks to trade)

In short, a team looking to 'blow it up' and rebuild will try and gather as many of the above scenarios as possible. We actually have all 3 covered . The only thing we're missing to be in the 'absolutely perfect' rebuilding scenario is a top 5 draft pick - but let's be clear: these are no more valuable than any of the above scenarios.

A top 5 pick is NOT a "home run". Very very often they fail.
    Max free agent money is not a "home run". Very very often teams strike out.
    Expirings is not a "home run". Very very often teams strike out.
    Multiple first round draft picks is not a "home run". Very very often teams strike out.

I don't know why people are down on what we're doing at the moment? It's not like we're the Warriors... We have very envious positions on a number of fronts -can Morey make ANOTHER big move in the off-season to bring in an All-star?? He did it for this year, every reason to believe he can do it again. Making the playoffs and doing well makes his job that much easier.

Too long? In short, I'd much rather be us than the Failblazers. Could be a long road back to being a competitive team for them.

1 person likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We could get a mid to low 1st round pick for him.

9. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Not that i'm disagreeing with you about the max cap space.. But espn ran a story like 3 days ago about teams in the best cap position this summer, and the rockets only had 13 million available in cap space?? i thought we were over 20 mill? it through me off because they had us a middle of the pack cap team..?

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Could be done multiple times, but here is an excellent summary:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=216979

Bottom line is that we need to be ~18 million under the cap to offer a max salary.
    We could do that, and be adding a max salary guy to a lineup consisting of:

Martin
    Scola
    Lowry
    Patterson
    Morris
    Budinger
    Parsons
    Montiejunas
    NYK draft pick
    Dallas draft pick

11. stefanb

stefanb Member

lol, i was looking on twitter and typed in hasheem thabeet. people in portland are saying they are seeing him in the mall. it doesn't get better than this. i mean the guy hasn't played 5 minutes for the blazers and he's already spending money and uninterested in basketball.

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Get a grip, brother is rich, & has to go shopping...I think he's looking to become the next scalabrine.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Doubtful. Bad contract

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hmm interesting I have the opposite view. Paul and Williams basically heralded the "superstar pg" era of the NBA. Blaming them for that would be like MJ part 2 and basically crucifying the Portland FO for not being visionaries like Zuckerberg or Bill Gates.

Oden IMHO was the biggest mistake, because unlike MJ for that other dude, Durant was already regarded as BPA, and he didn't have any health issues at all (Portland had access to Oden's medical record predraft and saw all the red flags). That one was pure stupidity IMHO.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree Portland has LaMarcus and Batum as a foundation, and is doing the right thing by taking a few steps back to get good. The forces that control the Rox should take note and consider.

Uhhhh...... Dude we've won one playoff series since 1997. So we can't exactly throw stones here. That was the last year that the city hosted a WCF playoff game.

Its not like we're exactly leaving a "golden era" behind. We've missed the playoffs two years in a row & Yao hasn't been a full time player in a while. A lot longer than a year. How many years did we actually threaten for title while he was here, maybe one? You gotta win series to be a legit threat for a title. Yao is a world class gent & player (when healthy) but our team has not been able to depend on him playing for a while.

Our GM's draft record is pretty strong, we should play to his strength and build through the draft. I'll take my chances with him on draft night. Chances are against him recruiting a UFA superstar or even trading for one that you can build the franchise with. It takes one to get one.

Its been posted repeatedly that ownership is against taking a couple of steps backwards to get better. Considering the way the current NBA system is constructed, ownership should reconsider.

16. HombreDeHierro

He knows he's gonna be broke in a couple years... At least I hope he does

17. jacoby

jacoby Member

Should he spend every second of his life on a basketball court? Dude can't spend his evening buying clothes at a mall?

Jeez, next thing you know you'll get on the dude for being spotted at Shop Rite. :rolleyes:

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thabust at a Portland mall.

[​IMG]

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do those girls know who he is or did they mistaken him for Greg Oden?

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asian girls can't handle the Louisiana black snake...