1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Yao reached his peak right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Apr 2, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Common wisdom says no. He is only 25. He is not a player that's relying on his athleticism to dominate. However, he has been averaging 28 points and 13 boards since all-star break, and I am just not sure how much better he can get.

Someone suggests that he will have another quantum leap forward some time in the next two or three years similar to what he has since his surgery. However, another leap forward would put Yao at around 35/15, a number that neither Shaq nor Dream was able to average on a season with the old rules.

If he can do that, more power to him. If he can also win a couple of titles with that kind of numbers, you have to consider him one of the top 3-4 centers of all time.

I will be extremely happy if he can average 28/13 at his prime. And I think it's a realistic goal that Yao can achieve. Your thoughts?

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

maybe not 35/15, but i think around 30/13-14... i think this is his prime years... and he will get only a little better...

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

35/15 would make Yao a goat, if not the goat ... that's quite a leap of faith, although i like it :D

4. akuma

akuma Member

no way is he in his prime. he still doesn't have the mental aspect down. if he achieves that, there will be no ifs, ands or buts. he will be one of the greatest of all time.

5. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

I don't know about a 'quantum' leap, but I do think that he will keep improving and adding to his game in small measures. As you said, Yao is a very cerebral player and I believe the next set of improvements will be in some of the 'intangibles' area. Things such as leadership for example. Also, I think he'll improve aspects of his game such as timing, decision making etc. All of those things may not add up to the 'quantum' leap, but improvements are improvements and I am going enjoy watching Yao make them.

Yao still has a lot of room to improve, and I for one don't care whether tis incremental or quantum because I know he'll get there eventually :) .

6. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't ever see Yao averaging 35 ppg over a whole season. His endurance has improved but I don't see him producing like that an entire year. For an extended period of time, 28/13 is pretty close to the best he can do. I'd like to think we will put a team around him with players who can put the ball in the basket. If so, 28/13 on a contending team is just fine by me. Maybe MVP caliber fine. :)

7. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

Amen.

8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Yao is a player that relys on others to get him the ball in order for him to do what he does. As seen in todays game against the Fakers, they didn't get him the ball in the second half. He could have scored well into the 40's if they had. Hell, they might have even won the game. My point is he will only be as good as the playeres around him allow him to be.

9. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I think this year he has a made a dramatic leap. Everything about him is coming around. Shaq in his prime never broke 30ppg which he could have easily got if he improved on his 50% FTs. If he makes another leap into 30/12, he'll be what CD calls "illegal" and with some rings, might become GOAT.

10. Aries_Tim

Aries_Tim Member

Honestly im getting sick of watching our slow motion 7'6 center move into the post like spy-ware has attached itself to his gams
    my centers before Yao

Ben Wallace
    T Duncan
    Howard
    Amare
    Shaq now
    Camby
    Brad miller
    T Chandler
    M Ely
    Channing Fry
    Z Iglauskus
    Zo
    Jermaine Oneal
    Yao
    he is an average player,
    ends in NBA next two years

11. akuma

akuma Member

i remember not too long ago, maybe only a year ago, it was have been ludicrous to say that Yao would average 28/13. that's Shaq in his prime numbers. Actually he only averaged 28 and 13 twice in his career and the first time was in his second season, well before he became the "most dominant ever". Dream has never averaged 28 points a game for a season although he came very close in 94-95. Duncan has never averaged more than 26 points a game or 13 rebounds a game for a season let alone both, and he's a two time league MVP and quite possibly the greatest PF of all time. of course he's also a six time NBA Defensive first teamer and an eight time ALL NBA first teamer.

now, we have people feeling disappointed that they have to "settle" for 28/13. what a difference a year makes. :D

12. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Can Clutch ban this troll from this board? :mad:

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

He has a way to go, imagine if they team had better post passers and people who would give him the ball for all four quarters. That and a coach (although I still like JVG) who plays him at less predictable intervals.

14. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

if he can keep up what he has been producing i will be very happy. those numbers with a healthy t-mac and a decent support cast=rings, so it would be awesome if he gets better, but he doesnt suck where he is now.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

i think there was sarcasm in his post. I'm not positive though

16. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I guess you haven't seen Yao's spin move on Ben Wallace leavinging him in the dust, or Yao's up and under fake out move on Jermaine O'neal, Ron Artest, and Brad Miller. But your right. He's to slow to pull those moves on them.

17. modays

modays New Member

more block,more rebound,more aggressive

18. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

i guess you are wrong. check this *******'s posts in a different thread.

Originally Posted by Aries_Tim
    he's ****in soft!!!!name me another all star starting center who grabbed an astounding zero rebounds in a game ?
    none of those all star starting centers ever did what yao did!!!!!!
    he has had a good couple of games. i honestly dont like him too much, i think he is over-rated, and not deserving of being an all-star.
    Dampier got 26 boards one time. And everybody knows he's soft. Yao had a good couple of nights. He's still soft.
    PLUS the way he can play only is limited ,ugly....................................

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Lets not cheapen the BBS by calling names. Every poster has a right to his opinion. We are free, however, to critisize the hell out of stupid opinions that don't have factual evidence backing up the arguement.

20. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

You forgot Chris Kaman and Eric Dampier. The No.1 and 2 Center in the league.