1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Yao been reduced to role player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 23, 2005.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Height AND speed seem to be a killer for Yao. But when one of those factors are lessened. Yao seem to do better. So, not every one of Yao's defenders or offenders are quick, athletic, and tall. Sometimes you'll have shorter player that give him trouble at first (at the start of the game, but they do less effectively later on). Other times you'll have strong players, but they aren't as fast laterally. Stoudemire is a guy that is very athletic, but only 6'10". Amare is a good shot blocker of *other* peoples shots. But he's not very good at defending Yao. So, not all players do well vs Yao even if they are athletic. Yao's mass/height gives some smaller players trouble. Also seems to do better vs guys like Chris Mihm, Danny Fortson, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas because they actually let Yao catch the ball in the post (stronger, but slower). And Yao can get at least some advantage moving toward the basket when these guys are one-on-one with him.

I think that Dampier took it to Yao today offensively! He played with extra hustle. We'll see if Dampier keeps this up. They still do double Yao. So, it's not like Dampier should be talking trash on how he shutdown Yao. They guy got help. They throw three or four guys at Yao. Their plan is to throw as many people at him as possible. If Dampier gets in foul trouble, they go to Bradley. If Bradley does bad, they use Dirk. If not Dirk, then Van Horn. They double Yao too. We don't double Dampier. On the other end, they use their center and ask him to attack Yao (to get him in foul trouble). Because the know they can't play the revolving centers for long on the defensive end very long. It will back fire on them. They *need* Yao in foul trouble.

Also note that Yao also has to deal with those pesky forwards that try to swipe the ball from his hands. Dallas just seems to be very quick at these things. They have many player with long/quick arms. Dallas is just a bad match up for Yao. I do think he will have two very good games, though.

#41 DavidS, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  2. Panda

Panda Member

Not surprising. Yao is being used as a role player. He is not involved in the Rockets game enough. The Rockets are a team revolving around guards play. Guards play is the main engine and Yao's post up game the auxilliary propeller. However, Yao is not integrated into the guards play other than setting some picks. His shooting and passing ability is ignored in the guards play.

Yao's post up game gives people the wrong impression that he is the man on the this team, the co-leader on the this team. Yet his role and opportunities in offense doesn't reflect it. The talent is much and the role is narrow, the combination of the two makes what he is now - a key complimentary player, something between a leader and a role player. Yao's talent is making up for the deficiency of his very narrowly defined role on offense - either post up or set a pick, often without getting the ball back. Put most talented big men in the league in that role they will suffer, and so do Yao. It's a recurring theme unless Yao can solely rely on the post game to be very successful and consistent. Sadly that only applies to someone named Shaq, and especially so to a team that has mastered post entry. IMHO Yao's talent doesn't match his role, as simple as that.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am certainly glad he didn't choose Pheonix, imagine him and Amare + Nash together, the Suns would've won 5 championships in a row.

In that sense, I am dead glad he ain't a Sun:D

SCREW U AMARE!:p

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I sincerely like Yao Ming as an individual; he is bright, articulate, funny, and humble. I am a big fan. As a NBA player he isn't what I expected. Watching him play, I am typically disappointed. Like this afternoon, I was hoping he would elevate his game, that he would be especially pumped for the first playoff game. Instead, he seemed befuddled, like he was waiting for someone to tell him what to do. By committing "rookie" fouls he took himself out of the game. I know he gets phantom calls but he plays so passively he sets himself up for players to create fouls for him. If you can't get up for a playoff game, you can't get up. Surely he must care, but he doesn't play like it. Perhaps a PF addition will help, but it won't give him passion.

5. DavidS

Yao's role has been defined to the 2nd option (and sometimes 1st) when he performs at a high level. When he doesn't perform, then he limits his role himself (3rd or the bench).

So, let me rephrase your first sentence...

Yao's *specialized talent* is making up -- sometimes -- for the deficiency of his very narrowly defined role on offense - either post up or set a pick, often without getting the ball back. He often doesn't get the ball back because it's too much a risk to keep trying the entry pass if he doesnt prove (show) he can get position within a particular time frame.

Don't confuse complete player (talent) with specialized talent (strong in certain areas). And please don't say that we should use him as a jump shooter. In the end, he needs to give us the inside offense. As did Sabonis, Walton, Smitz, etc...

#45 DavidS, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I hate to burst you bubble, but it's up to Yao to increase his role on the team. The world doens't revolve around Yao - maybe China does, but not the world. It's up to Yao to take over the team, not for the team to beg him to.

7. Panda

Panda Member

Solid:

I respect your opinion, and I urge you to look at Dirk from the same angle. What you said regarding Yao can easily be applied to Dirk. It's just one game so don't be too down on Yao. :)

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I don't think outplaying Dampier is much of an accomplishment, unless you do believe it when Dampier declared himself as the 2nd best Center in the league;)

Forget the foul problems, Yao needs to work on being able to catch the ball in his hands, and not fumble it out of bounds when McGrady hands it to him for a wide open slam dunk. That is the only thing about Yao (besides his foul problems) that get me REALLY irritated.

I think we should hire Larry Bird and have him make those "heads-up" passes to Yao that would hit him in the face, break his nose a few times, and create a mental reflex for him where he is ALWAYS prepared for a pass, regardless of where he is on the court.:p

I hope Yao bounces back, but judging from his track record with the Mavs this season (5 games so far), I think it is fair to say that Dallas gives Yao fits as far as him being an effective offensive weapon. His numbers are unimpressive against the Mavs this season, so I am not sure if it is realistic to expect a "dominant" performance from him this series, although I hold out hope that he will sum up enough courage/mental toughness to fight through it and dominate at least one game.

9. NewYorker

You are right. I think he is a finesse player. He tries hard, but he doesn't throw himself out there with passion. I just don't think he has that fire. He's not a competitor....but then again, he probably never had to compete back in China. He was the man.

I wonder if deep down inside he really cares about basketball...I think he does it because it's his role. His parents, his country, blah blah blah. He's never known anything but basketball. Hell, the Chinese gov't probably made his parents get married to make a tall guy like him.

I think that's why I never really liked him as a basketball player. I always say he lacks heart, fire, intensity. I have seen it in short bursts, but never something sustained.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is spot on- Yao isn't going to a big part of the offense if he can't stay on the floor for extended minutes, or if he turns the ball over when he does get it.

I think Yao WILL take over at least one game in this series. It's how he plays the rest of the time that will determine if we win or lose.

11. DavidS

Yep. But I'll give him two games over 20/10. But I don't think the other games (his foul prone games) will absolutely determine if we win or lose. But it will make it harder on TMac/Deke and team to pick up the slack if Yao is on the bench.

These are adjustments that Jeff will have to do during the game.

Now, if Yao does give us some good games, that will make it VERY HARD for Dallas to beat us. It's a bonus. But it's not an absolute that we will lose. Just makes it harder for us to win.

12. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

you're just a hater.

just like the refs.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Anyone who says Yao lacks heart or passion is just a jack***.

Call him slow, call him tentative, but don't dare say he lacks heart, haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X1

14. DavidS

Also....a few more things....In reference to Panda post...

It's also important to note that Yao's achiles heal is NOT his offesnive game (as much as it has been in the past). Last year and early this year it was an issue because he was sooo much the focus. But since Tmac took over more of the leading role, Yao has done better on offense (remember last year all those *good* players that used to give Yao trouble that DONT anymore? Najara, James, Evans).

But Yao's limiting factor is FOULS! Now, you might say, "DUH!"

But hear me out...

How many times have we seen Yao on the court, not score much, but also not pick up fouls? He'll just be quiet for most of the half rebouding and setting picks. Maybe he'll have only 6 points. But later on in the game (3rd and 4th) he'll get 14-16 more points. And before you know it Yao has over 20 points.

Thus, merely keeping Yao ON THE FLOOR alows him to have a huge effect. Even in his *limited role* as Panda said.

So, Yao's problem isn't as much post play or his offense as much as it is defensive fouls and NOT PLAYING! Staying on the court and having Yao give up 6-8 points (defending) is BETTER than having Yao pick up early fouls and not being on the court.

Sometimes I find myself yelling at the TV :) at Yao, "Yao, let that dunk go! Don't try to block it....oh...nooooo...foul!" :(

Yao has to learn this. It's better for him to give up a dunk than to risk getting the foul. I know this is hard for Yao to resist. But he has to learn this better.

So, Panda. Even if Yao was to be more Dirk-like (less post, more perimeter). He'd still have to defend. And he'd still be susceptible to fouls on defense. And he'd still be limited to the BENCH.

#54 DavidS, Apr 24, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  15. Panda

Panda Member

The role on the team I'm talking about isn't decided by a performance in one game. For example T-Mac doesn't perform at times, it doesn't mean his role in the offense changed.

Plus, being 2nd option on a team doesn't have to do with having an inadequate role. There is always 2nd options on one man teams, like Allen Iverson's team. It seems that you are mixing up "role" with "impact" or "status", while clearly I'm talking about a player's role in an offense. It shouldn't take a basketball guru to know what I'm talking about.

I think it should be easily deducted that I was talking about pick and rolls with "not getting the ball back".

Yao should play a more versatile game by mixing up post up/jump shooting/passing. Yao's shooting and passing are ignored in the guards play, and guards play is the main game of the Rockets

16. DavidS

And what about Yao's defense? Read my other post. He doesn't get fouls and sit on the bench beacuse he playing a limited offense. He gets fouls on defense. Thus his offensive STATS suffer because he's NOT ON THE FLOOR.

And that was my point about Yao doing good as long as he on the floor. He does these things: mixing up post up/jump shooting/passing. But he has to be on the floor to do them.

By the way, that's the thread starters point. Not mine. I disagree with the premise of this thread. Yao's ROLE on the team is the same as always. As the next game will show.

#56 DavidS, Apr 24, 2005
  17. Panda

Panda Member

DavidS etc:

You guys are missing the big picture. Even when Yao plays his regular minutes foul free he is still having a role that's too narrow for him. Even if Yao extends his PT for 5 more minutes a game he is still having a role that's too narrow for him. Suppose Yao plays 40 minutes a game foul free, he will still be spending most of that time setting picks in the system. For someone with the size, the touch, the passing, and the vision, don't you guys think it's a waste to just use him as a screener in most of the time???

18. DavidS

Panda, yes. I agree. But that's a different issue. And I don't think the point/question of this thread was asking that. I actually think that the thread starter was actually using this ONE game as "evidence" that Yao's role has changed (when Deke comes off the bench). Which it hasn't. Yao's still the 2nd option.

As far as using Yao shooting a few more outside shots or maybe passing a bit more. Sure. That's fine. But he'll still have to play defense. And at this point in time. That's a bigger issue -- silly fouls.

Yao must find ways to stay on the floor first. Then, we can use him in different ways. But please Yao. Stay on the floor!

#58 DavidS, Apr 24, 2005
  19. NewYorker

When Yao starts throwing some bodies around, maybe I'll change my mind. When I see him growl and beat his chest after a dunk...I'll know he's pumped. When I see him push back after getting pushed...I'll say the guy has some heart. When Yao takes an elbow and responds with an elbow....instead of bending over and looking like he's going to keel over...then I'll say the guy is tough.

Until then, he's soft, and weak of heart. Call me a hater, but I am just calling it as I see it.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You take what the defense gives you. Yao still has trouble picking up defensive guards from the weak side. Frankly, I think Yao's passing and vision are overrated- it's his inability to pick up small guards coming to rip the ball from the weakside that leads to a lot of his turnovers.

If we're absolutely ripping teams apart (as was the case) with the TMac/whoever 2 man PnR, why stop? Dallas couldn't and didn't stop it. If they had, we would've needed to adjust, but why change if it's working brilliantly?

That's why the Rockets seem to play outside-in than inside-out. When we establish the perimeter game, it limits the oppositions ability to send trouble at Yao. Yao in single coverage has become virtually unstoppable- his baby hook and turnarounds are awesomely consistent and unguardable. But teams will continue to fluster Yao unless we establish that guard play will rip them apart otherwise.

Yao will score more when he's able to consistently punish teams for sending doubles at him.