1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Yao been reduced to role player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 23, 2005.

1. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

You are so right. I'm so mad right now. We just won a game against a tough team on the road. And instead of celerating, and being happy for our team, this bbs turned into a flaming warzone. Right after the win, I came to the board to share the W with my fellow Rockets fans, I never thought I'd see this ugliness. Well, i feel better now. Go Rockets!!

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Ha! I have to admit those, I did get a "high" when Barry hit that trey after the long kick out and you could see tell that everyone in the building knew it was over.

3. ikfit

ikfit Member

Yao's biggest contrubution to Rockets is
    Tmac want to play with a big guy, so he chose the Rockets LOL

win is a win

I'm happy now.

Go rockets.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mullet,
    You are right. People should stop complaining when we win. Complain when we lose.

If you are a Rockets fan and complain after we spanked our hated instate rivals (remember when they use to kick our behinds?) then you must lead an unhappy life.

But since you do complain, please list your complaints about the 2 championship years also.
    Please tell me why you hate Maxwell, even though he destroyed Phoenix.
    Please hate on Cassell cause he takes too many jumpers, when he saved the Rockets from the Knicks.
    Complain that Robert Horry is inconsistent, when his only jumpers are in the last minutes of the 4th quarter.
    Complain that Hakeem doesn't eat during Ramadan.
    Complain that Kenny Smith can't play defense.
    Complain that Calvin Murphy's suits are ugly.
    Complain that you wanted Michael Jordan in the finals.

I mean, the only complaint I have from the ENTIRE 2 championship was that STUPID LARRY ROBINSON jumped into the picture when David Stern gave the Rockets the trophy. What is he doing next to Otis and Dream???

:mad:

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

wrong thread, deleted.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sorry if I brought the question up as a downer to our win. I have just noticed how Yao is getting muscled over by Dampier and getting silly fouls. Sorry.

7. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

i agree he did ok defensively and on the picks, but I dunno i would call the offense horrible. of the few opportunities he got, he made a couple nifty moves on the offensive end against Dampier.
    the only thing that limited yao's game today was foul trouble. he still gotta somehow learn to watch out for guards coming from behind for the steal. also, he has to keep his eyes on the ball. he wasnt expecting a few passes from tmac today, which should have been easy 2s but became turnovers.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Sometimes he just gets taken out of the game by stupid stuff that turns him into a non factor...but you have to be greatful that we do have someone in DEKE that can step up and not miss a beat and give us hard nosed defense and an inside presense when Yao isn't in there.

He is young and still gets stupid fouls that take him out of his rhythm and game so it's something that happens...we have to roll with it...but thank god we have a saftey net...and He wants to SEX everyone.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

He was a 'role player' tonight because of the foul trouble..we need him to stay clean throughout the series

Ryan Bowen is a role player, if your gonna call Yao a 'role player' then I don't know what to say

#29 KaiSeR SoZe, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

no worries NWO,

Yao is probably more down on himself than anyone else. He'll comeback strong like Ricky the Dragon Steamboat off the top rope!

11. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Normally, I would worry about a bad game from Yao but

Number One--- We won
    Number Two----This has been one of Yao's worst games for the last month and a half and he STILL outscored and out-rebounded Dampier
    :D :D

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am with youy Gator. For crying out loud, we won the game and lead it from the get go. If the law of averaging is right, I believe Yao will have 25 pts next game. So I just feel lucky that we didnt need Yao to win this one. Every game is different.

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Everybody seems to be dismissing today's foul-prone game as a one time occurence.. like he'll play much better next time with no foul troubles. I mean maybe Yao could have avoided some of the over the backs, but a lot of his fouls came from trying to protect the basket from drives. Nowitzki, howard, stackhouse (among others).. when these guys drive into the lane.. it's going to end up being a foul on yao..

I hope it won't happen.. but it just feels like Yao is probably going to be in foul trouble every game this series..

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

If every games plays out like today in this series, we will win it in 4.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I think TMAC was a roll player too.
    HE WAS DEFINETLY ON A ROLL TONIGHT!
    :D

16. Nautic

Nautic Member

Yao did not play a good game mainly due to his own fault. On the other hand, I believe he best way to avoid foul trouble is to get your defender (opponent's center) in foul trouble. When the opponent center plays tentatively with his own foul trouble, you can play aggressively and be less worried about getting a foul. Unfortunately, Yao was ignored on offense even when he was in great position where he could have got into the hole and got Dampier to foul him.

17. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

His role is to be a superstar center

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yao could never get into rythm today, if he keeps on picking up ticky tack fouls, then you might as well keep Deke in there.

It was TMac's day and you don't go away with what is working. There was not a single Mav that could stop TMac, and when they did, he dished it out to open teamates.

But Yao has to play better, his game (when on) opens up a whole new dimension to this team. TMac played all but 1 minute today, we need Yao to be able to take some of the scoring load off of TMac to give him some rest.

But a win is a win. GO ROCKETS!!!

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don’t think he’s a role player. I just think that there are certain teams out there that just know how to make him look like he’s nothing more than a role player. The Mavs appear to be one of those teams. 5 games against the Mavs this season. Yao has struggled in all 5 games.

It could be because Dallas has players that match up well with Yao or maybe Del Harris learned a few things about Yao's weaknesses last summer, but they seem to have Yao's number.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ok, I hate to knock on Yao, because I'm a big Yao fan and I don't necessarily agree with this thread, but who exactly isn't faster and more athletic than Yao outside of Shawn Bradley? Speed and athleticism aren't Yao's best attributes.