1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has there ever been a worse sports year for a city?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JeopardE, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I mean, wow -- Miami teams suck.

Florida Marlins: Worst team in baseball. Eventually sold off their best pitcher in a fire sale.

Miami Dolphins: One miracle field goal away from going 0-16.

Miami Heat: 9-44 and counting, 25 losses in 26 games.

Miami Hurricanes: Finished 2007 season with 5-7 record, their worst in two decades or more.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

USF went 9-4, and they were ranked as high as #2.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, but that is in Tampa.

I couldn't say how good or bad the Florida Panthers are.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The Florida Panthers; perennial losers, even when they are winners. Lol Southeast Division.

To put it in a way NBA fans can understand, imagine if the Hawks were in a division with the Bobcats, the Heat, the Bulls and the Knicks. Then you can all laugh at the Toronto-New York series.

Southeast Division in a nutshell.

(yes, Florida sucks)

5. MexAmercnMoose

way to ruin the op's parade

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Miami is having a horrible year, but they are not alone for the worst (and it is more an abberation year)....there have been some pretty horrible teams city wise over the years. Have very stiff competition. Also, the Marlins aren't really that bad compared to the likes of the Pirates, Royals, or Devil Rays.....every single teams has not had winning team this entire decade, while their sucking power extends back into last decade. FLorida has at least managed a few playoff season, world series victories, and a few winning seasons.

Cleveland - 1981, 1982
    Indians: 52-51 (.500, but next to last in their division), 78-84
    Browns: 5-11, 4-5
    Cavs: 28-54, 15-67

Seattle - 1980

Mariners - 59-103
    Seahawks: 4-12
    Supersonics: 34-48

Chicago - 1999, 2000 (they might have Florida beat, because after the Bulls won their last championship only one Chicago team has played in a big game or series once...and it was the Bears from last year)

Cubs: 67-95, 65-97
    Bulls: 13-37, 17-65
    Bears: 6-10, 5-11

Kansas City - currently

Royals: 69-93
    Chiefs: 4-12

Arizona - 2003-04

Suns: 29-53
    Cardinals: 4-12
    Diamondbacks: (in 03 won respectful 84 games), but in 04 = 51-111

Detroit - 2001

Pistons: 32-50
    Lions: 2-14 (they've never had winning season or record of .500 in this decade)
    Tigers: 66-96 (strangely they continued their losing ways by losing over 100 the next two seasons and over 90 two following)

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Doh! I guess I just assumed USF was in Miami without ever checking. I feel stupid now.

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'm talking about the past year in particular -- the Heat, after all, did win a championship and made the playoffs last season. It's just that, now is the worst time to be a Miami sports fan -- their misery just knows no bounds right now.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

UF isn't in Miami, but still...back to back basketball championships sandwiching a football one. I'd take many years of abject futility from all my professional teams for just one basketball championship at my alma mater.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Don't worry, outside of football it's mostly fairweather fans who don't really care. I'm guessing the attendance records will back me up here.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I think I actually cashed in on that deal (I'm a fan of the Cleveland Browns and Cavs).

It's awesome, believe me. Although celebrating another championship in the middle of the streets for the 3rd time in two years gets kind of old. :cool:

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

poetic justice. there is a God.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Ok I have a question did you just have a lot of free time to google all those stats for cities... or do you have nothing else to your memory except facts and figures... damn.