1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

has the citizen's united ruling backfired on republcans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by otis thorpe, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So the people we generally consider smart?

Why is that?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Are you trying to portray yourself as an arrogant pomposity? We're not discussing whether the Tea Party is right or wrong here. We're discussing whether they can sincerely believe that their policies can lead to a better future - and of course they can. For crying out loud, I'm sure you would grant that to the Marxists, that they're sincere in their beliefs in a better world. Portraying the Tea Party not just as wrong, but somehow illegitimate is completely shutting out the voices of group which could be a third party if they desired - and sure, they wouldn't win an election, but how often do third parties win elections in Japan or the UK or Germany or wherever?

3. Dubious

I'm portraying the Tea Party as duped toadies of the 1% that will control our elected officials as a result of the Citizen United decisions. I listed several positions that exemplify that.

Feel free to rebut.

If you want a third party, how about The Jesus Party. The platform could eschew profit for safety, utility and effectiveness; the world's largest military for the world's most effective diplomacy and world's largest humanitarian aid army; 100% equal rights between all races colors and creed, men and women, and truer democracy.

Please remember, I am from the home of Louie Gohmert, Ted Cruz and Dan Patrick. I lurk around these people disguised as another old white guy. I know what they say and what they mean when it isn't Luntz sanitized for public consumption, and it's not very much like the Jesus they all profess to worship on Easter.

This is their prophet:

http://www.luntzglobal.com/

#103 Dubious, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What a bunch of bs. Conservative/libertarian ideology is heavily subsidized financially by the rich such as the Kochs as it helps their bottom line. It is widely available in all forms of mainstream medi-- ot just Fox and Limbaugh and gang.. They carefully conduct focus groups to come out with messages designed to get ordinary or even very poor folks to vote for those who subsidize these messages. They systematically invest in conservative think tanks and endowed professorships etc. They come up with distracting wedge issues to divide those who aren't multi-millionaires. Gays, drugs, "Wars on Crhistmas, whateer. The Kochs are heavily invested in various economic departments.

Now it is very funny that we recently see a few billionaires claim that they are being persecuted and misunderstood.

That being said some of the more cultish libertarian terminology is not widely available outside the cult, though it is becoming more widely known. e.g "Taxes are theft" etc.

5. Dubious

WWJD?

He'd cut taxes and regulations.

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Sure that's the definition of liberty, but you can't crudely apply that to real life.

Freedom from obligations is not possible or even an approach that is more beneficial to society. The type of liberty being pushed by kochs results in net less liberty than the artificial pitch they are selling.

7. glynch

In this video clip, Noam Chomsky describesthe type of "liberty" tallanover, commodore etc. believe in. Libertarian “savagery” retelling how Ron Paul said that letting a comatose American die because he had no insurance was “a tribute to our liberty.” Chomsky goes on to discuss how libertarians are actually extreme advocates of total tyranny because they support giving power to private unaccountable tyrannies (corporations) which are even worse than state tyrannies. Chomsky says this because even in a tyrannical state “the public still has some kind of role.”

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AwQEgOKEEXI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. glynch

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You exemplified nothing. Your points argue that the Tea Party is wrong. That's irrelevant. I think that the Tea Party is wrong. You have yet to prove that the Tea Party is illegitimate, that somehow in the back of their minds, the conservative masses secretly admit that the liberals are right, or that the 1% who control the sheeple DO know that the liberals are right, but can make those people dance on puppet strings unlike independent free thinkers like you. I'll also note that I'm not calling you wrong, persay. It's impossible to prove right from wrong, as it would require us to know what Gohmert thinks deep down. What I am arguing is that you're being a condescending, arrogant *******, who refuses to acknowledge in the slightest that your political opponents can sincerely come to a different conclusion - and thus, in a way, are no better than the Tea Party you so loudly declaim. After all, what do you think Tea Partiers say? It's liberal like you who are being manipulated by Soros or whatever - after all, Wall Street did donate more money to Obama than Romney.

1 person likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dubious

So did you list any conservative positions that add to the quality of life for the general electorate?

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Real talk: Obama duped the entire left. He's nothing but a corpratist in the pocket of the military industrialist complex.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

McCutcheon on his SCOTUS victory

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...t-the-law-and-i-won-105314.html#ixzz2xqb9vLZg

14. Dubious

He's more than just that, though he certainly is some of that.

You can't get elected to anything in this country if you don't sell out. Hell, even the ACA is corporate written law. Vilify Obama for the corporate profit motive or the socialization of medicine but compromised law is all we ever get.

Show me any other real option.

(off to work for a couple of days)

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The Washington Post on Breyer's dangerous interpretation of the 1st Amendment not as protecting an individual right, but rather a means of advancing "the public interest".

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That is about the dumbest take I have ever read. Considering who posted it, that's saying a lot!

17. Dubious

What is the "liberal agenda" other than the greater good. Isn't that why we band together in a democratic government.

The problem with money as free speech is that the money is not spent on altruism, it is spent for quid pro quo favors like lower taxes and lower regulation to increase personal wealth and profits. It is bribery and corruption made quasi-legal. That is why the PAC laws are written they way they are, it skirts the criminality with plausible deniability.

18. Dubious

I don't know what would constitute 'proof' for you on the internet but if you just google "tea party astroturf" you will get cites to about 100 articles from a wide range of sources, most with a public history of being honest brokers of information.

Buuuut, you and usual suspects will scream bias.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

larger government. 'greater good' is everyone's agenda. Even hitler's

20. Dubious

better education and healthcare, equitable wages and workplace safety, an environment that will support our children's children, fair and open elections with voting rights for all, and world domination by the master race

yeah, that's us