1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Patterson dunked this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cuddie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. cuddie

cuddie Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vwpN6Dw4Zgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't watched every game, but I usually watch at least all the highlights and I have yet to see PPat dunk this year. Such a stark contrast to the PPat of last year. Not a really big deal, just curious.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

3. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

not too often, only on fast breaks it seems.

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I remember him flushing that one-handed dunk on a fastbreak in Sacramento (don posted it above). He hasn't been as aggressive around the rim since undergoing ankle surgery last offseason. His slow-mo back-to-the-basket game can be frustrating, as he either turns it over or jacks up an off-balance hook. But, his midrange game is on-point; he's hitting from 16-23 feet at a 45% clip, which is better than Luis, Pau Gasol, and LaMarcus Aldridge.

He'll be a solid role player for many years, but he needs to play with more fire and consistency if he wants to take that next step.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: Why are there no videos of Patterson dunking?

:( Too old a meme?? Yeah, I thought so.

7. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Wow that is a big contrast from this year. Injury definitely slow him down.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On that recent dunk against Sacramento he just barely got it in there. Comparing it to the video in OP, it looks like a different person entirely. I guess we'll have to hold judgement on his athleticism until next season when he has had time to recover from surgery.

I just wish he had a post game of some sort. He's not as soft as Mo Taylor, but he's not far from it.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

One good off seasn and you'll see a difference. I expect his hops to return if not surpass last year.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Fixed it for you

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm hoping someone could ask Patterson about the issue.

Is he lacking time to work the explosiveness back in his legs or is this a permanent issue.

Just not the same player as last season.

12. conquistador#11

there was one against the kings. I too had forgotten he could do what he did in that video.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But, for which team???

14. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Its because of his ankle. He got surgery on it in the offseason. But the big thing is breaking the psychological barrier that he can put weight on his ankle without a fear of hurting it, so inteead he plays ball where less stress is put on the ankle. Less stress = less explosiveness and dunking. I know people that have had ankle surgeries and that is what they tell me.

17. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Didnt he dunk last night in Portland.. from a Dragic assist on a fastbreak

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

huge psychological barrier when you have had ankle issues and are still on your rookie contract

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If you go by Patterson's ratio of dunks-to-minutes from last year (17 in 868 minutes), he "should" have 24 dunks this year instead of 5.

Offense this year's been different, too. He's also being asked to do more post-ups and pick-in-pops instead of just finishing plays.

Still he hasnt been as explosive. His rebounds are down and he wasnt a good rebounder for his size to begin with. Still a decent player but its been down year for Patterson overall. Next year we'll see his true ability.

(Yes I created that "Patsquatch" group. Need more "beastly" output from him much)

20. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

i checked too and i was quite mad, Scola deserves atleast 1/2!

and I understand K mart, Lee, and dragic all have had more minutes than patterson... but patterson should still have more dunks then them! -__-