1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

denial is more than just a river in Egypt...

Why dont you list for me ALL the NBA players who EVER walked out of a game in the middle...

Don't enable unacceptable behavior by trying to paint is as acceptable....

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You need to challenge well trained teammates who aren’t getting it done and (most importantly) your opponents who are kicking your ass.

You’re a coward for going HAM on 70 year old assistant coaches or Executive types. Be crazy vs the athletes!

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still don't want him as the starting PG.

REEKO_HTOWN and J Sizzle like this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

I wonder if he’s ever reads clutchfans cause half the 3/4 of the board wants to cut him. I guess he means the front office shows him love

HP3, jiggyfly, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ain't no way!...Ain't no ****in way!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. Xopher

Xopher Member

I like KPJ. I'm just waiting to see if they draft Ivey if they get the 4th pick. I wonder of KPJ will have a meltdown

D-rock likes this.
  9. marinara

marinara Member

I’m not saying to give him a free pass no, my total point isn’t directed at you.

Since what happened he has put his head down and has played well for the most part.

I also don’t see him not being a “ traditional “ PG as a problem, how many NBA teams actually have the PG run offence ?

jiggyfly, Denovo and D-rock like this.
  10. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

KPJ clashes with Jalen Green. This team needs motion and facilitation, not KPJ doing a Harden impression while his capable teammates watch. He’s not even a point guard.

I’d kick the tires on a trade unless the team can get Porter to buy into a 6th man role.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, no

he shot 71%…no idea where u got 82% from

D-rock likes this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

His shooting efficiency is a concern. His TS% barely increased at all from last season. His advanced stats are still all bad but at least they did improve from last year a bit, not as negative.

He has shown the ability to be efficient in certain situations, like catch and shoot 3s as mentioned above. But his overall poor efficiency means his overall shot selection and distribution needs to improve. Can he maximize the things he's good at and minimize the things he's not?

Playing smarter is the last step to him being a positive player IMO.

13. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I like to imagine that they never accepted the behavior. They can accept HIM without accepting that behavior.

#113 burlesk, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    kjayp likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be a great 6th man. He can't play starting point guard though.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets players seem to love him.

Like a lot.

#115 D-rock, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Denovo likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As interesting and annoying as ever.

He still has time, but we need major improvements starting next year. Time is ticking.

harold bingo and PatBev like this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

His improvement wasn’t from last year, it was during this year. Pre all star TS .517, post .552. Pre all star assist:TO 1.77, post 2.4, pre PPG 13.7, post 18.9.

He, like Green, made huge steps this year in efficiency and output as they figured out the new dynamic, especially after Wood stopped playing, but even before that.

I see no reason why that trend couldn’t continue for a 21 year old.

Sonicbun8, burlesk, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I think people are way too critical of a player younger than a lot of college players...

He'll do better as Jalen improves and draws attention...

Scoring efficiency is one aspect. He's a solid defender, rebounder, and willing passer...

We're asking for improvement in efficiency, turnovers, and maturity.

Not sure what sign people have seen that says that won't happen...

Sonicbun8, D-rock, marinara and 2 others like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He showed flashes in his first partial season here, he struggled early in the season as everyone was learning how to play with one another and Jalen Green was kind of dragging everyone down....but once Jalen figured it all out and turned his season around, it took the anchor off the neck of the rest of the starters and KPJ started to shine more. There was a point in the season where Jalen Green had -20 on/off splits (showing his impact to the offensive and defensive rating of the team while on the court not game score +/-) but he finished only -6.7 which means he was flat out amazing in the last 2 months almost completely digging himself out of the hole he dug to start the year.

Doubt about the guard spots made sense early in the season when they were both looking pretty bad.....but after the last few months, there's no valid reason to doubt either of them.

I think going forward the backcourt is set. As Jalen Green's game develops they should have dual combo guards running the offense, which should be amazing eventually....now they just have to figure out who they are going to surround Green and KPJ with

Sengun should be a staple there, whoever they pick in this draft should as well....but the rest of the roster is kind of in flux, hopefully Wood won't be part of next year's roster.

There's honestly no question about the guard spots though. It's not only the most solid positions on the team, it's also the deepest with Mathews, Christopher, and Nix as backups already.....and that's assuming the Rockets manage to dump Gordon and don't bring back Schroder and Nwamba.

mikenm268 likes this.