1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. PatBev

PatBev Member

Just go with your heart

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

3. Landry's Tooth

FYI, at the same age, Kevin Durant was a less efficient scorer as KPJ this year...

Not saying he will be Durant, just illustrat

Fair point. I was comparing him to other players his age and not the 26 year old league average...

I don't consider 37.5% from 3 and 45.6% from 2 to be inefficient for a guard...

A lot of star guards don't hit 45.6% from 2 or are close to it... some guys from this year...

Lamelo 46.2%
    Barrett 44.2%
    Trent 44.5%

I'm not saying you don't have a point, just that he gets graded on a curve at 21... i think his efficiency is close to average given his volume of 2s being lower.

His efg% is 84th in the nba... players near him...

Fred VanVleet
    Gary Trent
    Lamelo Ball
    DeAaron Fox
    Dejounte Murray
    Shai Gilgeous Alexander
    Jimmy Butler
    Bradley Beal
    James Harden

Given his age and solid other skills I think you can live with 45% from 2 instead of 50%... he may yet get there... his ts% gradually improved through the year generally speaking...

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You have to use context brother, using Kobe an Durants EFGs is a poor illustration. Firstly you are bringing up a time that was over a dozen years ago when the league average efficiency and shot selection was vastly different. Durants 51% EFG was actually above league average at the time, his TS% a whopping 6 percent higher then league average.

KD averaged an elite 60TS% (on 30ppg, leading his team to a 50 win record) his 3rd season at 21.

Many star players can get away with low EFGs by having a smart shot selection that heavily favors rim attacks (leads to FTs) and 3 point shots. Harden is a great example of this

This i core issue that lead KPJ to an inefficient season this year, his shot selection was just very poor. KPJ is #2 in the league in catch and shoot percentage amongst players with 1.5 attempts per game, KPJ averaged .64% from 0-3 feet this year. If he refined his shot selection he would have been well above league average efficiency, with a coachable player this can be fixed pretty easily

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No totally to KPJ. as a perfect person who never made any mistakes after the age of 18 I know that only persons with perfect maturity and consistent motivation can be cogs in a championship team. Besides 50/12 and more recently consecutive games of 35 and 36 could have been done by numerous perfect character guys. So KPJ is really not that talented even if we were going to be big losers by tolerating these flaws in our Rockets

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I hear ya, but I'd be more impressed if he was getting frustrated with teammates for the Rockets not getting back on defense, or the Rockets lack of physicality & rebounding. Or I'd be really impressed if KPJ got frustrated with the other team who is routinely spanking their asses by 20+ points during a 60 loss season. Instead homeboy throws tantrums (& soup) at unathletic GMs and 70 year old assistant coaches. If he wants to get aggressive there are 450 well trained NBA athletes to get aggressive with EVERY NIGHT. It's a punk mentality.

8. Landry's Tooth

Thank you but i am aware of the difference in eras... that is largely based on shot selection more so than rule changes as analytics influence shot selections.

In your argument you are back dooring a positive for Porter since offensive metrics have improved than worse defensive ones now can be adjusted too.

Btw... kobe at 21:

Fg% by distance:
    0-3: 70.6%
    3-10: 35.8%
    10-16: 39.7%
    16-3p: 43.5%
    3p: 31.9%

Kpj was worse in all but 3s... he had a higher efg% as a result.

Kobe would take 2.2 per game and kpj is 6.8 so it's a heavy weighting based on shot selection...

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would love to draft someone with similarly good talents that could light a competitive fire under KPJ's ass.

And replace him in the end if needed.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Every team needs a person who is a little crazy to get there.....

DD

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Your Heart will go on.

12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Safe to say the organization is running it back and want KPJ as the PG of the future, also Silas was never running a playbook or really any plays for them until the end of the year that has legitimately hurt the development of KPJ at PG.

D-rock likes this.
  13. kiwirocketsfan

I'm 100% ok with a 3 guard line-up of KPJ, JayGup and Green.

Sonicbun8 and jcmoon like this.
  14. DaDakota

That is why I don't want Silas back.

DD

rkh-dog likes this.
  15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

This is Silas pretty much saying they didn't run much because he wanted to experiment so our young players didn't really learn anything of value.

D-rock likes this.
  16. DaDakota

That is lazy coaching....imho, a wasted year, he could have used it more wisely.....or that is what the org wanted to allow us to tank one more year.

DD

17. Damion Laverne

KPJ has to work on his free throws and his ability to finish at the rim.

So wacky to me that he could shoot 3s at a good clip but not his FTs.

18. DaDakota

Didn't he shoot like 82% from the ASG on at the FT line?

DD

rkh-dog and D-rock like this.
  19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

But... should that person be running the ship? The one controlling the tempo, relegating duty and making the key decisions for the group? That is the question.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He bought himself another year, and the KPJ at PG experiment will continue next year as the starter. That said, we need to get a legit backup pure PG desperately. All this goes out the window if we get Ivey tho.