1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

“ The best laid schemes o’ mice and men Gang aft agley ( Scottish translated To go Often awry)
    And leave us nought but grief and pain for promised joy!”

“Of A Mouse” by Robert Burns is where John Steinbeck got the title for the 1937 novel Of Mice and Men. A story that is still very relevant today in showing the struggles of those with mental afflictions.

We continuously hear about the mental issues that Porter has - mental issues don't grow up and go away .... they remain for the duration.

I see Porter as Lenny .... That's a person who just doesn't comprehend that his actions are harmful. He doesn't have the mental capacity to hurt or do harm out of meanness or intentionally .... yet harm he does.

The story kinda hits home for me having a mentally challenged sibling who's 43 and has the mental capacity of maybe 6 or 7.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not all mental afflictions are made equal. A kid with ADHD will not have the same problem as a kid with autism.

Has KPJ been diagnosis with anything? Is he depressed, is he suicidal? is he immature/can't control his emotions?

Porter as Lenny is quite a stretch.

fattz, Denovo, cmlmel77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think athletes have to go through psych evaluations.....would love to hear about them though.

(Pretty sure they are classified in a way too.)

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

KPJ in love man. Got her an iced out Scoot necklace. She better not break his heart, he gonna go crazy.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

It was almost like Green and KPJ were improving at same time.

Denovo and cmlmel77 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Small sample size but gonna keep banging this drum.

But my eye test amirite?

burlesk likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't mean that so literally , he's not out there killing soft things ... more figurative in that he's probably "on the spectrum."

That's my perception of the situation and would go a long way in explaining how they have handled him.

It would also explain the ups and downs in his body language when he makes a bad play or a great one ....

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ had a rough start, he was in the wrong crowd, he seems to have sorted himself out, the NBA is littered with players who have turned it around.

I don't think it is him on the SPECTRUM - just him as immature....

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

KPJ, imo, needs to just focus on getting better. Just look to go 18-10-5 and everything else will fall in place.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Hahaha you comparing him to a character like Lenny might be the most outlandish thing I’ve ever read on this site. Dudes a starting nba player, not some ‘word I can’t use’ fiction character who killed a women. Stop it

I feel like he just a troubled kid like most are in his circumstances. Dudes finally found a community he himself calls home and has been making drastic improvements as a 21 year old

Shut your dumb ass up

Boii likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keeping up with the Scoots, Porters and Greens.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The end of the season gave me hope for him.

But he needs to bring it all year long and not have any major breakdowns where he leaves the arena or doesn’t come out of the game.

If he has another season like he had this past year it’s definitely time to cut him loose.

Be more consistent on the court and limit the major episodes of quit and I’m on board.

vator likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Players get frustrated, they all have to figure out how to deal with frustration.

Horry threw a towel into his coaches face.
    Latrell chocked his coach.
    Artest hit a fan repeatedly
    Maxwell hit a fan
    Barkley tossed a guy through a plate glass window

Stuff happens.

DD

theDude, hakeem94 and RudyTBag like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah that may be stretching it for me too. Lennie was r****ded. KPJ is not. Hard to follow that train of thought even when some of his substantial points do make sense.

PatBev likes this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

Lol I was too scared to say it so thank you

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

MAD SKILLZ.

burlesk likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, and every interview I have heard from KPJ in the recent past has been humble. He is working on being a better man, and he loves Houston for giving him the chance/framework.

Still patient on KPJ. Dying to see more KPJ/JG data when Christian Wood is gone, gone, gone.

burlesk, Plowman and DaDakota like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps he was injured, but for me, as a player, hell turn the corner when he starts attacking the rim more...so athletic...needs to stop overdribbling and put the real pressure on the rim every possession....
    never had the problem with his character... left on the halftime? big deal, didnt kill anyone...its only human....

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And those examples all occurred much later in each player’s career.