1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Harris earned his spot on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudyball, Oct 16, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly what I think and there are 12 LEGITIMATE NBA rotational players....that is the deepest team I have ever seen the Rockets have, and I have been a fan since the 72-73 season.

Never have we had such depth...WOW !

DD

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mike Harris, the reigning NBDL MVP who is currently on the Houston Rockets' roster, is being heavily pursued by Zhejiang Chouzhou. While the club has expressed plenty of interest in the forward, Harris has yet to decide if he wants to sign in China. Harris isn't sure if he wants to go overseas and be out of sight, out of mind from NBA teams. In the past, he has turned down larger offers from foreign teams to continue pursuing his NBA dream but now he is weighing his options with the season around the corner. HoopsWorld

Well, he is getting offers. I like Mike as a player. He hustles everytime he's on the floor. I think he should take this offer and make some money. He deserves to get paid. :)

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

No freaking way, why the hell would you have Harris as our SF, the guy has been nothing but a scrub, you send Harris back to the D-league, and give Patterson 3rd string SF position.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Dear Mike Harris,

Go play overseas, make your money, basketball careers are too short.....be a star in Europe or China....

You are NBA quality, but just barely......be a smart man and set up your family for life.

MONEY....Mike....MONEY !

DD

5. Trip

Trip Member

Just from a rough estimate based on rudimentary research, it seems Harris would have made about $125,000. The max D-League salary is $40,000 a year plus an insignificant $30 per diem on road trips. From what I remember from reading Paul Shirley's book, a ten-day call up is worth about $17,000 after taxes. Harris got two ten-days so that's about $34,000, plus $40,000 from the D-League. Then, the pro-rated minimum NBA contract he signed is probably worth about $50,000 all things considered, making his total to about $125,000. Which is certainly not a bad wage, but considering that he could easily have gotten more in Europe or China, I don't think he'd be content to just float between the D-League and NBA for the next few years.

1 person likes this.
  6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Problem with Mike, I think Morey sees his potential and really likes him... but Adelman not so much. Granted it is true, he plays like PF but with the body of a SF, so that would rightfully scare and coach and he often falls victim to the numbers game, but guy has shown plenty and if we were so deep at all the positions, I'd give him a contract.

Sadly we are deep all positions so giving him a contract to just sit on the bench is dumb.

I wish Mike Harris the best of luck and I hope he finds basketball success somewhere.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Jared Jeffries is really underrated on this board...I guess his phat contract has something to do with that but there is no way I would let Patrick Patterson, Ish Smith or JT on the team ahead of Jared Jeffries.

The guy can play 3 positions and is a hustle player. I would rather send Jordan Hill to the D-League and bring in Ish Smith.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I love Mike Harris' game. He is a perfect replacement player once some one in the front court goes down. His skillset just doesn't warrant him a spot on the team, but I love that they have a guy in the d-league that they can sign up to contribute whenever he is needed.

That being said, I feel sorry for the guy and he should go to Europe to make some money, he deserves it.

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

mike harris one of the few development league players that actually did good in the nba. easpecially with the limited minutes he recieved.

10. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I think we tend to focus on the contract because of it's likely hood of being a big factor in a trade. Most seem to recognize his defensive value and ability to cover multiple positions.

Who said that? IMO, Ish and JT are expendable as they have low trade value and aren't too difficult to replace. Neither has a contract that will make a difference in a trade. PP is not expendable, but he will go to the DLeague before JJ since he can actually gain some experience there. You would only said JJ down if you wanted him to mentor somebody or something crazy like that. Won't happen though, as JJ is prefect as the 9th/10th man on the roster.

That doesn't make any sense. The 3rd string PG will never see any minutes, while our 3rd string C (who can play some 4) will because of Yao's limited minutes. I'm betting Ish spends most of the time in a suit on the bench.

11. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

His expiring contract is an asset. No way we cut Jeffries. He'll probably be here until February.

It's been said many times here before: sending a player to the NBDL does not get us another roster spot. If we can't make a trade to reduce our players under contract, Mike Harris will be gone.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is, not sure the exact number, probably like $60K for the season being the "max" in the D-League. Of course, if Harris spends a part of the season in the NBA (even if just a couple of 10-game stretches) making NBA minimum, it's going to bump his total income a bit. Still, no where near what he can get in, for example, China.

13. Carl Herrera

There is, not sure the exact number, probably like $60K for the season being the "max" in the D-League. Of course, if Harris spends a part of the season in the NBA (even if just a couple of 10-game stretches) making NBA minimum, it's going to bump his total income a bit. Still, no where near what he can get in, for example, China.

Edit: See Trip's post below just now. So the number is even lower than I thought... or maybe it's gone up since Paul Shirley wrote his book? Anyhow, it's not a lot of money.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Dampier then bye-bye JT? I suspect Taylor's time at the Toy Shop may end before it starts.

15. Carl Herrera

Doubt Dampier becomes a Rocket. He's looking for more playing time than this team can offer him unless, for example, Yao Ming suffers a career-ending injury.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

depth is very nice to have, but a team is really only as good as its rotation and all of those guys will not be in the rotation.

i'd like to see morey consolidate some talent with a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 type trade in order to get more talent into the rotation, rather than at the end of the bench.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Me too.

DD

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

11.Jordan Hill
    12.Jared Jeffries

Inactive/D-League:
    13.Patrick Patterson
    14.Ishmael Smith
    15.Jermaine Taylor

We can trade ALL these players and still be 2 deep at every spot. Plus a guy who plays the same position as the guy we are trading for. So that makes 6. We could in essence make a 6 for 1. Or a 7 for 2.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Being deep might help... but being too deep, and you're just wasting talent on that bench. Patterson, Taylor, and Ishmael are all serviceable players that are going to end up sitting on the bench more times than not.

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Ish and Harris are fighting for that last spot. It would be nice to have a third point guard, but chances are he'll be in NBDL anyways. Looks like things are going well for him and we might have to sign him to prevent another garret temple situation. Harris probably won't draw that much interest, so he'll probably be available to for call-ups esp next year when jeffries' contract expires.