1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone used Hotwire.com?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Jun 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NateNate

NateNate Member

This is the site that lets you chose 2,3,4, and 5 star rated hotels for a discounted price, but the only catch is you don.t get to see which hotel it actually is until you book. I'm sure all of you have heard of it.

Anyways, were taking a trip to Austin for two days and our budget is on the small end. If we can get a 4 star hotel like they advertise for 140 a night then i believe its worth a try, only problem is i'm not sure if that's really the case.

Has anyone used Hotwire? how about Hotwire for Austin?

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

crap, choose**

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We have used it on numerous occasions.

Very good site.

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

Do you recall what number star hotels you have selected? should i stay away from 2 and 3?

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would stay away from 2. I generally pick 3 or 4.

Those star ratings are ballpark figures anyways. Sometimes the location is more important than the stars and that is somewhat of a luck of the draw when using hotwire.

Dont forget to book using Chase Visa card if you have one. Chase offers full refund on travel expenses in case of emergency (sickness, etc.). Its a free service.

6. jdm485

jdm485 Member

I've used it for both a plane ticket and a hotel room. It's okay. There are sites (e.g., bidgoggles.com and hotwirerevealed.com) you can use to figure which hotel you are likely staying in.

The hotel I ended up getting was the Doubletree in Center City, Philly, which was 3.5 stars. I believe they get their star ratings from Trip Advisor, so that also might be a good place to see/compare what type of hotel you are getting.

Overall, I would say if you're not dead set on a specific hotel, it's a pretty good site.

7. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks buddy! For this trip location is definitely everything. We obviously wanna stay as close to 6th street, but the area i chose from hotwire (downtown) covers a nice amount of land.

Last question... Do you recall if they charged you immediately once you booked?

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

I tried to use bidgoggles but it wasn't much help.. thanks

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yes. They charge immediately. I've used it countless times for hotels. The main issue is you have to be a little flexible on location. Look closely at the boundary for the area you're purchasing. If you are not going to be happy staying in certain parts of that boundary, then you might be better off paying extra to get the exact location you want.

#9 DCkid, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Google priceline/hotwire forum and click on the city you're looking for and they should have a list of what hotels are being won in the star/location you're looking at. I use priceline name your own price almost all the time when booking hotels.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ditto, I've always gotten great hotels on the cheap when we travel. Use them more often than Hotwire but they are both good sites.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just a FYI

I went to Austin this past weekend with the GF and got a great room at the Whyndham Garden Hotel on I-35S not far from downtown for $125 taxes inclusive. Check out hotels.com

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've used both Hotwire and Priceline's NYOP (Name Your Own Price). They're both a gamble as they hide the hotel name so that you can get the low fare.

In my experience, Priceline is easier to figure out what hotel you can bid on because it shows you the amenities and there are a lot of forum talk saying what people bid and what they got.

Hotwire is more of a gamble. I could never figure out where it was, but if I was flexible, it didn't matter to me. I think they overrate their stars a bit more compared to Priceline.

You'll save a bit more with Hotwire, but sometimes, the extra $10-$20 per night isn't worth the risk when Priceline is more transparent.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, but only 4 stars. If you do a little research, you can narrow it down to which hotels you are going to get.

15. yo

yo Contributing Member

Even for NYC? Has anyone figured out how to get good deals for NYC hotels in Manhattan? I feel like this is next to impossible.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Well that was the on place I couldn't find a great deal, still better than face value directly through the hotel but Manhattan hotels are expensive.

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Hotwire is a good site. Just be aware those 4 and 5 star are good hotels but will still often try and give you the cheapest room they got.

18. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Used Hotwire for our recent trip to Vancouver. No complaints, got a fair room at a decent price. This and Priceline's NYOP have worked well for me in the past.

19. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

There is a group of us going to NOLA this weekend and we got the Sheraton by using hotwire, I used it a couple weekends ago for Game 2 of the NBA finals and we got put at the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk, definitely worth it.

20. itony

itony Member

use forums like betterbidding to get recent winning bids for priceline and hotwire and which hotel