1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Aminu always been this good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dash, Apr 28, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Al-Farouq Aminu said he will be a free agent this summer, but he would really like to stay in Dallas. Would like a long-term deal.</p>&mdash; Bryan Gutierrez (@BallinWithBryan) <a href="https://twitter.com/BallinWithBryan/status/593481552501284867">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A smiling Aminu on if he thinks he earned himself some money with his playoff performance: &quot;I would hope to think so.&quot;</p>&mdash; Bryan Gutierrez (@BallinWithBryan) <a href="https://twitter.com/BallinWithBryan/status/593481981280792576">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Aminu said he wants a long-term deal because he's a young guy and wants a situation where he can grow as a player. He does like Dallas.</p>&mdash; Bryan Gutierrez (@BallinWithBryan) <a href="https://twitter.com/BallinWithBryan/status/593482340644564992">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

2. bmd

bmd Member

Just came into this thread to say that I played against Aminu in high school.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When did 11 points and 7 rebounds in 30 minutes become "bonafide allstar"?

He played well this series, he looked like a "bonafide" solid starter, like Ariza or Draymond Green.

He's athletic, plays D, gets boards and did well on offense this series, but in no way shape or form did he play like an allstar, or come even close to shutting down Harden(Harden was amazing).

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So Aminu as an energy 3-D guy (corner 3), will he command 8M/year on the open free agent market?

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

28.4 pts, 7.8 assist on 65.2 TS% and PER of 27. Harden was actually better in this series than in the regular season. I'm not sure how that qualifies as being shut down.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Aminu looked really good when Harden hit that dagger step back 3 in his face.

1 person likes this.
  7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Aminu shouldn't have been cut by Pelis. Probably wasn't happy in NO. It was a good pick up for Dallas. Think he'll get 5-8 per on a 2-3 year deal

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

this is who cuban wishes he could spend his max contract on instead of pretty boy parsons

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He's always been a solid defender and a great rebounder, but he's never been able to shoot like that.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I feel like I'm revisiting the old Battier arguments.

Harden is a superstar. His job is to find a way to produce. Aminu's job was to limit him as much as possible.

You'd have to be blind not to notice that Aminu definitely deterred Harden from doing what he wanted when there was no screener coming.

By the way, that's a big weakness of his. Dude got lost behind our screens and allowed Harden to get free.

He's young, athletic, has decent NBA experience, great defensive SF body, played with great energy when his team needed it the most and has a good head on his shoulders, etc. He's earned right around 5-8mill per and will be a bargain especially if he can transition to a full time starter.

If he can just make his perimeter shots at a more consistent rate, he'll be fine.

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Aminu and JJ Barea played out of their minds because their backs were up against the wall, Dirk literally had nothing left in the tank, and Cuban's coalition of NBA All-Star retreads all showed why they weren't still leading teams of their own. I think Aminu is a great midlevel player, but I'm not convinced he'll ever be a max player.

Every decent young NBA player can look like an All Star for a couple of games if given the green light while defenses are shutting down your teams first and second option. Overpay a role player because of a couple of good games in the playoffs at your own risk. We made the same mistake with Trevor Ariza the first go-round.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

QFT!
    THANK YOU.

Jeez, as much as I'm a Harden fan boy some ppl on here take things to a different level.
    It was obvious that Aminu limited Harden as much as possible-especially in the last two games since that's when Rick specifically had Aminu guarding Harden.
    You are spot on about his weakness re. the screens. I noticed that as well.
    Like you wrote, he's earned about 5-8 mill and that seems like it's the right price for him especially since he still has room to improve his 3pt FG % and be more consistent which I think he will be even moreso next season if he stays in Dallas.
    Everything you wrote is on the damn point!

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I don't understand how Harden was limited when he produced above his regular season stats. If you're limiting him, then you'd like to make him less efficient. But Aminu didn't do that at all. I don't need to quote Harden's stats do I?

He was energetic, got into Harden a couple of times, and poked the ball away a couple of times. Did that translate into "shutting Harden down"? Uh, no. Unless you consider playing even better than usual as being shut down.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

you dont shut down superstars, you make the take shots they dont want to. or in kobes case, make him shoots shots he wants to but cant make anymore cause his legs are pool noodles

15. ducktits

ducktits Member

Yeah he has

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

LOL. The guy had a fluke series. Good for him but if anyone is betting on him as a full time starter in this league they probably will enjoy the lottery for the next five seasons.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You can quote Harden's stats in the last two games in which Aminu defended him most of the time. Especially the stats that show how many shots Harden took and made/missed while Aminu guarded him. Look it's no big deal, Harden like Steph, LeBron and any other scorer is bothered a little bit and forced into a few more misses and unwanted shots when guarded by a longer player like Ariza/Brewer/Aminu/Kawhi/Batum. It's nothing special. Ppl taking offense here at the suggestion that Aminu gave Harden problems while defending Beard. That's what's expected when those kind of players guard scorers like Harden/Steph/LeBron.

This makes zero sense to me.
    It's not as if he went on a run of 20-30 plus points during the games he started in the series and that's making people like myself see that he can be very good player in this league. No.
    The dude scored 10-15 pts in those games but it was his ability defensively, his improvement as a 3d players- setting up in the corner for 3's when needed, his active hands when it came to getting on the glass and producing steals when needed. How are those things flukes? That's just hustling and playing hard and it seems given the opportunity, he can do those things. The only question about him is will he improve upon his shooting for next season? I think so-especially the work I personally know that he has been putting in as the season went along.

Either way, I'm not too sure I'd it a fluke when the reason for the optimism isn't merely about him scoring(since he isn't a major scorer) but his hustling, his active hands and his defense.

#57 ferrari77, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015