1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy] What is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Apr 5, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

link to PDF

What is Marriage?

Sherif Girgis
    Princeton University Department of Philosophy

Robert George
    Princeton University - Department of Politics

Ryan T. Anderson
    University of Notre Dame Department of Political Science

November 23, 2012

Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 245-287, Winter 2010

Abstract:
    In the article, we argue that as a moral reality, marriage is the union of a man and a woman who make a permanent and exclusive commitment to each other of the type that is naturally fulfilled by bearing and rearing children together, and renewed by acts that constitute the behavioral part of the process of reproduction. We further argue that there are decisive principled as well as prudential reasons for the state to enshrine this understanding of marriage in its positive law, and to resist the call to recognize as marriages the sexual unions of same-sex partners.

Besides making this positive argument for our position and raising several objections to the view that same-sex unions should be recognized, we address what we consider the strongest philosophical objections to our view of the nature of marriage, as well as more pragmatic concerns about the point or consequences of implementing it as a policy.

*UPDATE:

We have revamped and expanded our argument for a new book, "What Is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense," available now for preorder (see below) and released in December 2012. The book revamps the article's argument, bolstering and elaborating its positive points for a general audience, answering the most common and serious objections, and sharpening objections for opposing views.

We will be posting reviews, and replies to new critiques as they arise, at whatismarriagebook.com

Number of Pages in PDF File: 43

It looks its not just crazy Christians who believe it.

Link to source

2. bobmarley

Here is the opening of the paper.

3. bobmarley

The next section of the article.

4. bobmarley

The next part deals with a common fallacy that revisionists make.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's not accepted behavior at this BBS to make multiple posts one after the other. An FYI. I'll leave your other absurd behavior aside for the nonce.

6. bobmarley

I apologize for the four posts in a row. I was trying to post of them arguements of the article without creating a tl;dr post.

Deckard, you did a good job avoiding the article itself. I applaud you. Done with true deft.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Meaningless article.

Marriage never had an universal definition to begin with and things change (I'd use the word "evolve" but I know that's another thing you don't believe in) all the time, you happy bundle of sticks.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Marriage is a religious institution, which the state has no right to recognize. See, First Amendment. That, or it is punishment for shoplifting in some countries.

1 person likes this.
  9. bobmarley

Please support your claim with evidence that Marriage has not always been defined between a man and a woman.

I would use the word revision not evolve. I appreciate your kind words, it sure goes a long in proving the point of who is truly intolerant and slanderous.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

When marriage was first created, it didn't come with a myriad of legally protected rights and benefits. When we, as people, made so much hinge on the marriage status, we changed the game.

11. bobmarley

Are you sure that when it was created that it didn't have any legally protected rights or benefits?

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Please understand that my less than generous words are the result of me refusing to take your stance on marriage seriously, just as one would not respect a fool's notion that 1 + 1 = 5

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Having not been around in Ancient Rome, I am not 100% sure, but I feel pretty secure in surmising that it didn't come with tax benefits and health insurance benefits. I am sure there are others I could list, but it has been a long week and I'm a little tired.

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Words and meanings change over time.

Love and marriage mean different things to diffeernt people.

Why would you care if it wasn't directly related to you?

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It's silly semantics debating what a word means. An incredibly uninteresting debate.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Meanings of words change. See: liberal.

Who cares. Move on.

This shouldn't even be a political issue. Marriage is a personal matter. If two consenting adults want to be together, my god man, let them. If what you're upset about is the legal/financial benefits, then protest the state's involvement. Otherwise, who cares.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sbqv3MwwVd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Using this argument, should infertile couples not be allowed to form?

19. carlosc

carlosc Member

Nope. There are all sorts of non-religious idiots and bigots. Just not as many, fortunately.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Marriages should be annulled or banned for the old and infertile. They clearly do not follow the opinion of the op.

Parsing the content made me want to read it less than if it were on one post. Nice try.