1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hartenstein Play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I know he's a rookie and that was his first real game, but.... That was one of the most brain dead plays I've ever seen in recent memory.... It had me fuming and I would've let it go if it wasn't the difference in the game.

I just can't recall a player on the Rockets making a play like that especially given the context of the play since the Corey Brewer days smh... Completely zero IQ play.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Brad Miller. Phoenix Suns game. Look it up on YouTube

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yeah that's wayyy before Brewer days.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't think it was brain dead . I think it was brain overload . Another poster put it best when they said he "panicked " .... that's exactly what he did . But to panick , you have to be thinking .

He knew there were 5 seconds left and he needed to take an action quickly .... he made the wrong choice . But he was at least aware of the situation . Brain dead would be to hold onto the ball for 4 seconds before realizing time was running out .

I was overall fairly impressed with his debut . Contrary to this play , I think he's got good bball IQ ... the game is just fast for him . I think if MDA gives him more PT he will settle down and become our best option at backup C

rocks123 and UTSA2step like this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

I didn't see the game - what was the play?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I looked at the box score. . . . not all world
    but were they QUALITY minutes?

Rocket River

7. farhen

farhen Member

He's better off at D-League

D-rock and topfive like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Still think he's our best option at backup C and the option that is most likely to improve throughout the season .

He seems to understand the team defensive concepts well and is usually in the right place at the right time .

He has trouble staying in front of quicker guards on the perimeter ... he will have to improve at using his feet to move with players and not fouling with his hands .

But he looks active .

I think he just needs more PT for the game to slow down for him some more .

Chriss is more athletic and may be a better pair with harden due to his ability to catch the alley oops .... but we know harden can set up below the rim players (like DMO) too .

At this point I would say keep letting him develop (especially if we are winning )

I like what I see from both him and Clark so far . They aren't without flaws , but they are both hard nosed kinda players with a good Bball IQ (from what I can tell) ; they are gonna make rookie mistakes but I think they can contribute by the end of the season

Shark44, cbs1507, Y2JT and 6 others like this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. He should have been sent down to the G league instead of Zhou Qi, whose game has improved. He looked great during the summer Asian games as well as summer league. It’s unfortunate he got injured but he should be getting backup minutes instead of Hartenstein.

xtruroyaltyx, D-rock and UTSA2step like this.
  10. Moleb

Moleb Member

I'm sure he'll improve once they figure out he has cement in his shoes & remove it.

Crashlanded19, jboslett and D-rock like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He had two nice blocks in guys trying to take him off the drive to the rim. Highlights of the night to me. I love some defense.

Williamson and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Zhou Qi can get that in his sleep.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Chriss got pulled off the court after 3 minutes played.

snowconeman22 and fattz like this.
  14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

*fartenstein

15. fattz

fattz Member

I think Chriss is close to being a finished product were Hartenstein still has room to grow as s player. With consistent playing time both he and Clark will naturally develop into players of need. Because to see the court they will both have to fill in and produce at league level and no only do their role but play as TEAMMATES to our starters. They must fill in and do what is needed (the little things) to play off of established players. As their game develops the TEAM will too because their play fills in the holes of others. He is never going to play in a NBA all star game, but in time he will be even more serviceable and make us a better TEAM.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  16. theimpossibles1

Yeah but will he help the team?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

It’s going to have to. Look at the bench —> not to many choices. I think it is up to coach to work him and others in so by the END of the season we are NOT saying the samething. The cap is spent —> help is not coming.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I love this kids hustle... But this is a tough team for him. Every big goofy rookie goes thru that he's going thru, but most of them don't have pressure contribute on a team trying to win now. I think Criss is the better option right now.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed. I think joe is the best option right now. But joe chee gon’ be alright.

Dankstronaut likes this.