1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harry Potter: Is it too late?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mugrakers, Jul 5, 2011.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Okay so I'm in my twenties and I've never picked up a Harry Potter book or watched a movie. Is it too late? Was I hiding under a rock? No, I was reading strategy books (Robert Greene). So the other day I asked a friend if I should start reading the books and catching up on the movies and he said that its too late.

What do you guys think?

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Nah, it's never too late to read a book unless your illiterate.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'm 30 and love Harry Potter. Never too late for good works of fiction. But do yourself a favor and maybe skip over the first two books because they are definitely geared toward kids. The book really grew with it's original fan base, so by the time you get to Deathly Hallows, it's very much a book with adult themes.

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I learned how to write but I can't read yet. I'm on phase 2.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That doesn't make any sense. The worst case scenario is that you have been exposed to spoilers, but even that would not prevent you from enjoying something completely. Just because I know
    Darth Vader is Luke's father
    doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching
    The Empire Strikes Back

I ran into the same issue with my Mom. She was looking for something to read and I said she could have my copies of the Millenium trilogy, since she is a fan of thrillers like that, and she said they came out years ago. What difference could that possibly make, they would be brand new to her.

It isn't like the Harry Potter books/movies are based on pop culture references and would seem dated now (AFAIK, I haven't read them). So if they seem like they might interest you, go ahead and read them.

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Save yourself. Go read something better. A Song Of Ice And Fire.

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I'm 24, so I suppose I started when I was 14... I doubt I would be interested in Harry Potter now had I not invested so much already at an early age.

9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Rowling finished the Harry Potter series. There's no indication that Martin will ever do the same. Every time I feel like reading Martin, I troll the internet and find countless b****ing over the wait between A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons. 2-4 more books to go, maybe 5-20 years, maybe Martin pulls a Robert Jordan. That's enough to scare me off.

I liked the Harry Potter books and started reading them right after Goblet of Fire came out. The first two read like children's books, but they start getting more mature and darker with the third book. I think they are good fun and were such a marketing sensation for good reason. I hate the movies because like every other book-to-movie adaptation, too many details are left on the cutting room floor.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Read the books and start from beginning you will not be sorry.

DD

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's a great time to start if you have the time; I started reading it at 21. There'll be no waiting for the next book to come out.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I read them in my 40's. Age should not be a barrier to reading.

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

they are fun and the books progressively add depth to the characters. Just dont picture daniel radcliff as harry.

14. HombreDeHierro

LOL what about hermione? ;)

15. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Also when your done you can then move on to Twilight! No but srsly Harry Potter is actually worth reading, I read them when I was 23.

16. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Never too late... as DD said, you will not be disappointed. It's an absolutely spectacular series.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes, Harry Potter has passed you by. But it's not too late for Twilight. :grin:

Even better.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed, the books are a fast read as well. I'm no literary critic but I think Rowling did a masterful job. I read them at 30 and have reread them several times.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Who reads books anyways what you need is a cassette to read it back for you while you drive

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, I read the first couple within 2 days, and the others never took me longer than a week to get through. I rarely read, but these really drew me in.