1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Harry Potter - Finished - What did you think?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 24, 2007.

1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I draw the line at picking monikers in honor of fictional teenage girls.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Maybe Harry is that loyal to Ron? Or it could be a wand thing.

4. conquistador#11

second to Quidditch, harry potter is a fan of liverpool :)

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Now JK can start writeing about true wizard!
    DARYL MOREY

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

WRITING*

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loved the book. Snape's vindication (well, sort of) wasn't a surprise to me, but I had no solid predictions as to how the final showdown would play out, except that Voldy would die.

I didn't like how Ron and Hermione run off to get the Basilisk teeth to destroy the cup horcrux, and we don't see any of it. It felt almost as if JK finished writing up to the point where Harry had seen the diadem horcrux destroyed, and then realized she hadn't created a method for them to destroy the cup horcrux, so she just threw in there that Ron and Hermione had run off and taken care of it.

Ending was great. If done well, that final book is going to make a freaking awesome movie.

Oh, and I'm glad that Snape died before his story was explained. I can't imagine a scenario when Snape explained to Harry that he was basically on his side the whole time and even went so far as to help Harry several times...without seeming entirely hostile. I mean, he still detested Harry and his view that he was just like his dad probably hadn't changed much. So the pensieve was the natural way to wrap all that up nicely.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Sent..

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Two facts about me and the 7th Book:

1. I got on TV because I was first in line and got interviewed by several newspapers.
    2. I finished the book in 5 hours and 42 minutes.

An unrelated fact:
    1. I'm a Harry Potter fanatic.

Right, about the book itself:

I'd just bought the CD version of the book with Stephen Fry and was surprised at what I've missed the first time reading it, and I just love it how everything just comes back on itself. Dirk Cresswell, Griphook, Ted Tonks, Andromeda, Yaxley are all examples at how small the wizarding world is. Also, the revelation of Dumbledore's past plus the Deathly Hallows were hte key thing that serperated it from fan-fiction, which often revolved around stories woven with the past books.

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

10. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I read the first three books aloud to my kids, so my man card actually EXPANDS by being a HP fan :p

Great book and series - the way she played the Snape question was masterful - I thought Harry would die in the end, but was glad he didn't.

Minor quibbles:

I thought Hagrid would play a bigger role and it didn't make sense that he wasn't killed in the forest.

Neville should have killed Bellatrix, not Mrs. Weasley. :mad: ;)

I thought the epilogue was weak. It should have been the immediate aftermath of Voldemort's defeat, not 19 years later. But if you have to go 19 years later, Neville should have been Minister of Magic and/or Hermione should have been Headmaster of Hogwarts. That is all. :)

11. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Death is not as biting in Harry Potters world as it is in ours, it seems to me when sombody dies you can have their picture framed and ta-da you can talk to them again. How many times did harry get to talk to his mum and dad 3-4 times,also there is a confort knowing that there is life after death. In our world Their are people who bleave in it, but their is no air tight way that we can prove it. As for my self I hope their is.

12. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Death is not as biting in Harry Potters world as it is in ours. It seems to me when somebody dies you can have their picture framed and ta-da you can talk to them again. How many times did Harry get to talk to his mum and dad 3-4 times, Also there is a comfort knowing that there is life after death. In our world Their are people who believe in it, but their is no air tight way that we can prove it. As for my self I hope their is.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

So, uh, is death as biting in Harry Potter world?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is if he died by a shark attack.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did anyone else have a problem with Harry using the forbidden curses not once, but twice with seemingly no repercussions? He frequently used Imperio in Gringotts and later on used Crucio against one of the Carrows. I mean, if he does it and then is scolded or punished for it or somehow shows remorse, that is one thing, but it is just kind of glossed over. The only one he didn't actually cast was the Killing Curse.

16. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Ya know...amazingly enough...you're wrong about my name. :rolleyes:

I had this name a LONG time before Harry Potter came out. It was the name of the dorm I lived in in college and I couldn't think of anything else hence...the name. Dorm = Grainger, I'm a guy...therefore...GraingerGuy.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It was a joke... you don't even spell it the way Hermione does.

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I thought the curses were no longer illegal after Voldemort took over the ministry? Wasn't the new DADA teacher using them in class (though that might not be too far off from what the fake Moody did in GoF)?

Just finished the book last night since I got behind on my re-reading of the series and was only on PoA when my copy arrived in the mail. Count me among those who were a little disappointed in Ginny's role in the book...I thought she should have had a bigger part in the outcome. I was also surprised that Harry was able to go past her when he was in the Great Hall and instead grabbed Ron and Hermione to talk to. She's his great love and he hasn't really been able to spend any time with her in eight months or so and he wants to talk to his buddies instead? Ehh...

I KNEW that Snape was going to wind up being a good guy...or at the very least having killed Dumbledore on his orders. There's not way that Dumbledore would have pleaded for his life at the top of the Astronomy Tower. Of course, I had no idea the reason Snape was helping Dumbledore. I can get behind it, though.

Overall, a very enjoyable book and I'm sad that the series has ended. No more Dark Tower series, no more Harry Potter...sigh.

19. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Yup.

I figured that even if they weren't "illegal" per se, there'd be at least some ethical repercussions. I figured they were "unforgivable" for a reason. Wrong was I.

20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Well, it was a time of war. Is anyone upset that Molly Weasley used Avada Kadavra on Bellatrix?