1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris D-League MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/harris041910.html

MCALLEN, TEXAS - The NBA Development League announced today that Western Conference Champion Rio Grande Valley Vipers forward Mike Harris (6-6, 235, Rice) is the league’s Most Valuable Player.

“I’m excited, but still focused on the playoffs. Earning this award is all because of my teammates. It’s not an individual award, it’s a team award,” Harris said.

“I think it’s well deserved. There are a lot of good players in the league, but I don’t think there’s been another as impactful as Mike has been, and that says a lot about the year he’s had,” Vipers head coach Chris Finch said.

Harris will be presented with the award prior to tonight’s must-win playoff game against the Austin Toros at 7:30 p.m. at State Farm Arena.

“Mike Harris served as the catalyst for the Vipers’ success this season as he provided the team with high level talent, professionalism, toughness, experience and leadership. While Mike posted a historically productive NBA D-League season as one of the leading scorers and rebounders, his impact was primarily felt in leading the Vipers to their first Western Conference title and the team’s first playoff berth. His impressive individual numbers only tell a part of the story, but what he did in terms of winning for this team and organization will be remembered throughout and this is why, as an organization, we are proud to congratulate Mike Harris as the 2009-2010 NBA D-League MVP,” Vipers General Manager Gersson Rosas said.

In 34 games (31 starts) for the Vipers during the regular season, Harris averaged a league-leading 27.1 points to go with 10.5 rebounds (third in the league) while shooting 58.2% from the field (fifth in the league). Harris was the first-Viper to ever play in the NBA Development League All-Star Game. He earned NBA Development League Player of the Month for January and Performer of the Week twice this season. He earned two GATORADE Call-Ups to the Houston Rockets and one to the Washington Wizards. He is currently on assignment from the Rockets.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope he gets some prize money. He's a great guy.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Next time he's in the toyota center, we have t ostart an MVP chant

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Was he also a MVP in china?

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes and he was also MVP runnerup for our very own Houston Rockets! Amazing year

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, there is a HUGE gap between the NBA and D-League. I wonder how much Durant could average in the D-League. 60ppg?

7. sinobball

sinobball Member

No. China doesn't give MVPs to foreigners but even if they do, it wouldn't be Harris.

But Harris was for sure one of the top 5 players in both seasons he was in China, no doubt. And China is filled with former NBA players in case you don't notice.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Well, I think Harris' D-league averages were similar to his numbers in the CBA (China league), so there's your answer...

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anthony Tolliver., Anthony Morrow and Reggie Williams look pretty good.

Mike Harris is an NBA player, like Morey has said previously...

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's hilarious how he puts up huge LeBron-like numbers in the D-League... but in the NBA he gets neither the shots nor the minutes. :p

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mike Harris is the Black Crash Davis of Basketball.

12. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Member

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Great for Mike! I hope he gets many more of them in the DL and for our Vipers :p

14. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

15. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

nice work mikey harris and lol ^

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Congrats Mike!

17. jayeal

jayeal Member

Of course not.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ridiculous naming right award of the year.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those go together. I doubt even LBJ can get shots if he gets no PT.

Also why do even the NBA callups get product placements? Does Gatorade pay for part of the transportation/misc expenses involved in calling someone up?

Next you'll have coke timeouts, sprite fouls or something...

20. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Agreed. Why do they need a sponsor for the act of being called up??