1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hardwood Paroxysm] Dreading Yao's Seemingly Inevitable Downfall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure its a well written article and this guy isn't a clutchfan but this is yet another of the many pessimistic threads that we have now following the same theme. Why not just post this in one of the other threads that says that Yao is going to get hurt and the Rockets are going to be terrible this season?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The column reflects a lot of our inevitable worries about Yao, albeit with a little too much melodrama, in my opinion. I guess I'm a little superstitious. I prefer not to dwell on the "i" word and assume a guy's going to be healthy until he's not, at least at this point of the season. Yao's surprised me, so far. He looks much better than I expected during his stints in preseason games, stints that have increased in duration and effectiveness. Why not figure that the progression with his rehab and return will continue? That he's going to play an important role this season, a crucial role getting us to the playoffs? I'm not going to spend all year sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the hammer to fall.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yao had a defectively high arch in his foot that had a high propensity to stress injuries, and with no real backups, he was playing far more minutes than he should have (Dwight, who is much nimbler and lighter doesn't even put in that many mpg anymore).

The issue was essentially his foot was bound to suffer stress fractures, it wasnt a possibility, it was actually guaranteed, which is really no longer the case and why he opted for the longer restructuring option.

4. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

This season will definitely be tough for him. Luckily he's still 7'6" and doesn't have to worry about regaining any athleticism. That sweet baby hook of his will always be there, like the Dream shake. It really is a shame all of this is happening in what should be prime of his career. He teased us in 07-08 when he was putting up MVP caliber numbers. Remember the games he was putting up during the start of the 22 games? 36-11, 30-16, 21-14, 30-17, 26-12, 36-19. Dominating, epic numbers with him and the best example of the team concept maybe ever shown in sports. Okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but gahhhhh 22 freakin' games in a row, half without those dominating stat lines. We'd of freakin' rolled the West that year. Killed the Jazz. Sigh. Seriously great times. Sports are ****in' awesome.

I'd be ecstatic with Big Z type numbers until he's 35 or 36, but I think he has has one or two 20-10 type seasons left. Maybe a 40 point game or a 20 rebound game. What are his career highs?

Damn, that is really pessimistically optimistic to think about :( On the bright side, Olajuwon did his thing in his early 30s. Can't see it happening to Yao though. I wonder how close he is to the hall of fame? He needs more healthy seasons obviously, and a ring or two wouldn't hurt. Damnit this article is spot on unfortunately.

5. bloop

bloop Member

It's not irrational optimism nor pessimism. It's called anticipation for the season, which is pretty much the point of being a fan in the first place. The OP's article is if anything reflective. It's kind of funny how pissed off you are that someone's reflecting on Yao's character and possible ramifications of another injury. It's kind of what GARM is for, and if you're not on Clutchfans to talk basketball, what are you here for? To repost crap you read on Huffington Post and talk smack about Palin and Obama? That's wack.

As for whether a particular poster is optimistic or pessimistic about Yao's prognosis, going either way isn't irrational since there's basis to go either way. On the positive, if belief in modern medical science, a reduction in playing time and addition of 3-4 training staff members dedicated solely to Yao's feet nets some optimism then you could hardly call it "irrational" since any of those factors are improvements from past years and it's rational to expect some payoff from those measures.

On the negative, if the knowledge of recurring past injuries and Yao's history nets some pessimism, then again it's hardly "irrational" since it's based on past empirical evidence.

Doctors and Morey himself are not sure exactly how Yao's body will hold up. Leaning one way or the other can be logically supported and hardly irrational. What is irrational is sticking your head in the sand, and pretending that your enjoyment of the season can in any way fail to be impacted of how Yao's body does hold up. How Yao goes so goes the season, living in denial is irrational.