1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hardwood Paroxysm] Chances and Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Jan 14, 2012.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/01/chances-and-chandler-parsons/

2. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

really great article, somewhat shocked that he is getting this much attention but he absolutely deserves it. pretty incredible to see some of his defensive numbers laid out like that. call me crazy but the rockets may have found their 3 man for the future (especially if he develops a consistent 3 point shot).

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice article and breakdown of his early performance. Thanks for posting it.

I wonder if it would be better if he lays off the 3-point shooting for a while and instead positions himself maybe 20 feet from the basket. Like Ryan Bowen used to. :) Seriously, maybe the NBA 3-point line is just not comfortable for him.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe only corner 3s?

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's more likely that he's just not a GREAT shooter of the basketball - rather he has a 'solid' stroke.
    I would expect more than 26% from him, somewhere in that 30-35% range - just give him some time to feel comfortable!

6. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

anyone else feel like he has a pretty slow release/slightly unusual form to his shot?

7. dd89

dd89 Member

:grin: Batty yay!

8. Dei

Dei Member

I wonder if the comparisons have reached Budinger's ear?

9. gah

gah Member

I'd say let him shoot. He's not forcing those shots off, as long as they come from good offensive plays we can live without them. If we tell him to stop shooting 3s that could dampen his progress. If he could get it to about 34% he will be set for his whole career, and we all suspect he can still be much better than that.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Chase is living the comparison.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not fast but it isn't slow either. However, his height will allow him to get his shot off pretty much against anyone at the 3.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He has to shoot. No matter how bad his % is, if guys lay off him completely and don't bite on his pump fakes anymore, then as a whole it will hurt our offense since they will just shade off him and use his man to pack the paint.

Already I've been dissatisfied with the amount of pump fakes I've been seeing from him. It's something like 50-75% of the time he has an outlet pass and a wide open shot he passes it up. It reminds me of what Lowry used to do and is frustrating to watch.

That being said, he has a chance to become a good player in this league if he can work on his shot. Like Lowry again, it's the one thing that NBA caliber players can drastically improve during the offseason.

13. xAliceInChains

He can create his own shot, which is why he is starting and Bud is coming off the bench.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this... Hell, let him shoot 100's until he starts making them.

The Rockets need to develop him to the fullest.

When he starts hitting 3s he will be SCARY!!!

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

His form is good...it's just he leans backward when he shoots open shots, kinda like lebron.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too early to call. After 4 starts? Anyone at SF could adjust to the 3 point line. Even David Andersen.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He isn't just missing. He's missing badly. His FT shooting is also very poor, which makes me think that shooting the ball is just a weakness for him. If you put a young player in a position where he has to keep taking shots that are very low-percentage for him, that can have a negative impact on his psyche. You want to put young players in a position to succeed, not fail.

That said, of course I think its fine if the Rockets want to give it more time.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree with you a normal rookie at Small forward or Shooting guard would have no confidence to shoot it but I think Parsons just thrives on doing the other things well. He can rebound, has a high steal rate so far, gets in transition, takes the garbage put backs.

I think he will at least be a mediocre 34 shooting from the three come time and SHOOTING bad won't shatter the young buck.