1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Last Season vs Hakeem's MVP Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Better season?

1. Hakeem - NBA MVP,DPOY, Finals MVP (Clutchfans named after the season)

126 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. Harden - players voted mvp

44 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't believe in anything you think. Or that you are capable of thinking.

my advanced statistics show that once you use Hakeem's MVP season to make some stupid analogy to Harden's Non MVP season to justify some argument, you shouldn't be trusted as a Rockets fan.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I also want to know whose voting...that's amazing lol.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

How do I switch public poll on after I created one?

4. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

where is it?

Obviously, Hakeem's MVP season was better than 14-15 Harden's in terms of accolades and personal accomplishment. When I said Harden was better, I was only referring to advanced stats like TS% or Win Shares. What part of that is so difficult to understand?

5. tinman

Supporting Member

When I say you aren't a Rockets fan, I only use what you say on clutchfans.

accolades and personal accomplishment?

The 94 Rockets team had the 2nd best record in the NBA and won the NBA Finals

That's team accomplishments

2014-15 NBA Houston Rockets* 56 26

1993-94 NBA Houston Rockets* 58 24

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

tinman is so sensitive lmfao

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't know.

I do know it's crazy to compare Harden to Hakeem. Hopefully one day we will be able to do that and go back and fourth over who was a better Rocket but Harden has a lot of maturing to do and he has to give Les at least one more championship...

Until that point. Hell. No.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Well sorry, if you don't love Clutch City like the real rockets fans do.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Are we talking about 93-94 hakeem when he beasted the NBA. When Harden gets a DPOY award I think pigs will literally start to fly. Was David Robinson really a better player in the regular season that year? I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the 94-95 season but that wasn't the year Haleem won those accollades all in one sweep. Harden is a good player but definitely not Dream vicinity yet. Both ends of the floor matter. So when Harden is in top ten in 4 catagories like Dream was and leads his team in all around catagories then it will be even up for discussion.

1 person likes this.
  10. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

you're barking at the wrong tree here. Do you want me to acknowledge that Hakeem in his MVP year was better than 14-15 Harden all around, EXCEPT from advanced statistical point of view? 'cause I can certainly give you that point.

what you fail to realize is analytics is all about efficiency, and Harden is historically efficient offensive player. Hakeem was great, but shot a lot of mid-range jumpers and difficult fadeaways as you probably know. So, his offense was not always extremely efficient, and that's why Harden has an edge on the point. Of course on defense, it's not even a match.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

When you fail to realize that you used Hakeem's MVP season to justify some stupid point about James Harden, then you understand that you used analytics completely wrong.

12. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

If you look at D-Robs career regular season numbers (traditional & advanced) and Hakeem's, Robinson was better. Not talking about a single year. And of course Harden is nowhere near Hakeem in terms of career accomplishment, I was only comparing 14-15 Harden's advanced stats to that of Hakeem's to emphasize the point that he had a really good season that year.

13. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Nope, never said Harden was better player in general, I was only referring to analytics and advanced stats which focuses on efficiency, which you completely took out of context.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If analytic are saying what is quoted in the OP then they are just flat out wrong.

I know the point you are making, Harden had an amazing year. In fact it looks even more amazing considering how garbage this team was this season...but the end results matter. You could have made this point without throwing Hakeem in there because it gets lost then.

1 person likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

remove the ytics part of the word and that's where you're getting your logic from.

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's ridiculous. I know I don't what Hakeem would say... but if I had one guess. One guess on my life. If I guessed wrong then I would die.. if Hakeem was told in his face "James Harden last season had a great season and comparable to your MVP season. What would do think about this claim?"

My guess on his answer would be:

"Wow. That's incredible. I'm glad that Houston has a player like that now. I really hope he and his team mates put it all together and hopefully brings the city of Houston another championship like me and my team mates did before. I'm glad that Houston has a guy that good. Wow."

On my life that would be my guess. You know why? Because Hakeem is one of the greatest human beings alive and he knows that this isn't about individual glory. He understands that he wouldn't be where he was without his team mates and the trust of team mates. Go back and watch the the MVP ceremony. Go back and look who else got to hold that trophy.

Hakeem would be proud to have James Harden compared to him. He wants greatness to this team and city, and if James Harden could do that then I would only find few people smiling harder than Dream.

Hakeem wouldn't be pent up with aggression and anger. He wouldn't see blindly to the person's claim. We all will choose Hakeem over Harden, but that does not stop us from seeing Harden's greatness from last season. The people who don't recognize the greatness of James Harden are the same people who are stuck in the past and don't want to let go. They're scared of the now. They can't understand the concept of reality. They can't understand that Clutch City happened a long time ago. You have to let go, Tinman.

Clutch City will always be one of the greatest memories, but we need to give room to recognize the now. If we focus too much on the past we may miss out on what we have now... James Harden is a player that I believe in. He's no Hakeem. No one is Hakeem, but he is James Harden and his story hasn't been finished yet. James is James Harden, and he was incredible for us last season.

Don't attack our clutchfan member Brian because you're stuck in the past. You're directing your energies the wrong way. You should spread love and appreciate what we have. This season was a downer, but he has given us so many great moments. None of those moments were Clutch City, but it's unfair to downplay those moments. Appreciating James Harden doesn't mean I don't love Clutch City. I can love both. And so can you.

2 people like this.
  17. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Why is bringing up Hakeem's name so prohibited? As I've said before, Hakeem was a great player, but loses a little bit of edge when it comes to offensive efficiency. His TS% is not that high for a big man, and it's clear from the way he has played back then. Attempted a lot of difficult, tricky mid range jumpers, and of course didn't shoot 3s. I'm a huge fan of Hakeem, but that doesn't mean he was a perfect player.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

you really don't understand do you?

You don't use Hakeem's MVP season to make a point about James Harden because there's nothing similar at all about those seasons.

I appreciate James Harden, but I'm a Rockets fan first and nothing was better than Clutch City so far.

Nothing.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I left you some rep. I think you'll enjoy my comment.

20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Hakeem didn't win that MVP or the championship alone. You didn't go back and look at the ceremony, did you? Who else held that MVP award?

Hakeem wasn't solely Clutch City. He didn't do it on his own. He needed help.

Stop living in the past. Please.