1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Goal: "To be the best player in the NBA"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxBeliever, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

I can see him being the best when he reaches his prime. Just gotta improve that midrange J and consistency on defense.

2. amaru

amaru Member

No.

See:

-Eddy Curry
    -Jerome James
    -Stromile Swift
    -Kwame Brown
    etc.

3. 713

713 Member

Kevin Durant >

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Harden can hit the midrange J. He just chooses not to. Look at his first two games with us. I went back and watched some Harden highlights and he pulled up a couple of times from midrange:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VCqtMxBkybc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5YqXmbIqg6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

I think both he and Howard can realistically be top 5 this year, if all goes well. I'm not saying that this is the current list, but this could be the list next season:

1. Lebron
    2. Durant
    3. Howard
    4. Paul
    5. Harden

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

yes I know he can hit it, but I would like him to use that facet of the game more. diversifying his attack would only solidify his rank. trust me I became one of the biggest Harden fans and I know Harden can hit that midrange shot and defend when he wants to, and I think by consistently using the shot and defending he can come even closer to being the best. remember he is still 23 and has ample time to grow.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

In a matter of time

8. hltiki

hltiki Member

what about Parker, DWade (if healthy), Kobe (if healthy), Melo, Duncan, Westbrook, DRose (if same player, or even if there is regression), and maybe Paul George...

Top 5 is hard to beat.

9. chandlerbang21

Hope he has added something to his game this offseason. Last season he either eurostepped or shot 3's

10. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

TBH I don't think he has that drive and ambition to truly become the best

1 person likes this.
  11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Did anyone else find the interview questions (or at least their wording) really bizarre?

12. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

That means more ISO ball coming.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

How so?

The interviewer Chino Trinidad is one of our top sports color guys. He really talks a lot.

Maybe the questions were edited or re-written after the actual interview.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Melo doesn't fit in that list.

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

5 years from now, he has a fair chance, but Durant is obviously the clear favorite right now to be the head dog after LeBron declines.

Harden's second and third year as "the man" and a starter I think will let us know how realistic the chance is for him to own the league.

He exceeded expectations by a lot last year obviously. I'm not really sure what to expect of him next year. At the level he's already playing at now, even the smallest improvements will be big in closing the gap between he and Durant.

16. anchel

anchel Member

Good. But nothing else than a lot of blabla.
    Effort. Defense. Leadership.
    We'll see...

17. Postcall

Postcall Member

I know I am picking nits but as the leader plus or minus Dwight I really wish he said to win a championship. To put it into perspective I am used to watching Melo try to be the best player in the NBA and the offense becomes iso doo doo but as long as Harden is using the Lebron template and not the Melo template it is all good.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

does your every player happen to be in the top 10?

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's going to have a hard time making it as long as his boy KD stays healthy. But I'm glad he wants to keep getting better. Harden and Dwight could definitely be the #3 and #4 best players in the NBA next season, if all goes well

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Parker is 31, and will never be top 5 material

DWade is 31, and has fallen out of the top 5 while getting worse every season

Kobe turns 35 in two weeks, and is coming back from one of the worst injuries a player can have. Harden was already as good as Kobe last season anyway

Melo is still too selfish to be a true top 5 player, although he is close

Duncan is 37, enough said

Westbrook will never be a top 5 player, his weaknesses are too clear and would have improved by now if they were going to

DRose is contingent on health

Paul George? LOL. That guy probably isn't even in the top 25. He will never be a top 5 player without near-miraculous improvement because he is a perimeter player who can't create his own shot. Great #2 or #3 guy on a championship team, not a superstar.